Author Topic: Natural light or full spectrum light bulbs  (Read 1612 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Natural light or full spectrum light bulbs
« on: August 22, 2013, 09:52:37 AM »
So I would like to have as much full spectrum light in my house as much as possible this coming fall/winter.

Does anyone here have experience or recommendations?

Obviously my current fixtures even with full spectrum bulbs in them behind glass are going to change the spectrum. My thought is to purchase the ubiquitous cheapo floor stand fixtures and supplement my most used rooms with full spectrum light.

While I don't think I suffer from full blown SAD I definitely experience more moodiness in the low light months.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Natural light or full spectrum light bulbs
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:19:23 AM »
My wife has a few Ott lights.

http://www.ott-lite.com/

Warning, they are not cheap.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »
Keep in mind that "full spectrum" is a marketing term, a catchphrase.  There's no standardization or regulation surrounding use of the term.  About the only thing it consistently means is "costs more".

If you're looking for sunlight equivalency, you need to focus on three more objective criteria - color temperature, color spectrum coverage, and intensity.  Full noonday sun on a clear, cloudless day clocks in at about 5700-5800k at an intensity of about 10,000 foot candles and a full IR to UV color spread.  You can mimic the color temp easily.  You can mimic the spectrum coverage to a degree.  Mimicking the intensity is pretty tough without some serious hardware or time under a dedicated lamp.

First, stay away from fluorescent.  You can get them in the right color temp and it's relatively inexpensive to build a pretty potent light box with a couple of shop-rated cheapo 4-tube fixtures, but the color spectrum coverage is blech.  Tungsten-halogen, no.  You can't get an incandescent that will burn hot enough to put out the required color temp, so they're out.  That leaves LED.  While they are a little more (sometimes a lot more) expensive, you can get them in the right color temperature, the spectrum coverage blows fluorescent out of the water, and the low power consumption means you can stack a lot of them without blowing up your electric bill. 

Also keep in mind that 5000-5500k lamps produce an intensely bluish-white light.  It washes out colors and makes things look generally blah.  Think Cool White fluorescent on steroids.  Mimic sunlight it does, but have you ever noticed how wimpy and colorless things look in full sun?

What you might consider is putting in higher output standard socket LED bulbs to max out the ambient lighting, then have a dedicated sunlight-equivalency light box or lamp assembly for use on a daily schedule.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:12:40 PM »
Supplementing my current fixtures/lamps etc with extra lumens is definitely part of the plan.

There is a bit of conflicting information out there about how best to emulate the effects of sunlight in the home through interior lighting. Is it possible to combine the warmth of available standard incandescent bulbs and still add the higher temp range bulbs to mitigate the decreased seasonal sun, all in the same room?

Choosing new interior paint schemes to positively impact mood is also being explored.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:21:38 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »
My wife has a few Ott lights.

http://www.ott-lite.com/

Warning, they are not cheap.

How long do their CFLs last
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 01:28:54 PM »
Supplementing my current fixtures/lamps etc with extra lumens is definitely part of the plan.

There is a bit of conflicting information out there about how best to emulate the effects of sunlight in the home through interior lighting. Is it possible to combine the warmth of available standard incandescent bulbs and still add the higher temp range bulbs to mitigate the decreased seasonal sun, all in the same room?

In practical terms, no.  I supposed you could paint with light using the different color temps, but it's something I've never found appealing unless the entire room is planned around it.

In all honesty I'd suggest not trying emulate sunlight in your home.  Sunlight is harsh and cold if you emulate both color and intensity, and it makes for an emotionally unappealing environment.  Just like you don't stay out in direct sunlight all day during the summer, you don't need sunlight equivalency on a full-time basis in winter.  You can emulate moderate daily sun exposure with a simple light box that you sit in for a scheduled amount of time each day.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:50:09 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
How long do their CFLs last

Dunno, we got some that are over 7 years old and still on their bulb they came with.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »
If you're trying to mitigate or forestall SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), focus on the spectrums emitted by the happy lights specifically prescribed for that. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »
Never done any research on SAD and what lights to use, but I do know that working in a greenhouse under high pressure sodium lamps does wonders for my mood in the winter months.  The light is not natural, tends to be very yellow-ish, but the warm glow is comforting.

Granted the comfort level might have something to do with being in shorts, 80 degree temps, 30% relative humidity, and a nice warm glow all around you when it's 12 degrees outside.

This winter I didn't get to experience that because I was doing a lot of office work.  I was more irritable/sad than I ever remember being in winter.  Then again I was in near isolation for 7 weeks with nobody else in the office and I didn't have a coffee pot for most of that.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »
1) cod liver oil

Some of the fluorescents are pretty damn good.  I use these (one lamp) to grow plants in a 20 gallon tall aquarium:
http://www.elightbulbs.com/GE-10490-F40-30BX-SPX50-RS-Single-Tube-4-Pin-Base-Compact-Fluorescent-Light-Bulb

2 or 3 of them in a suitable reflector and you'll need sunglasses.

If you don't want to DIY, how about something like this: http://www.prolighting.com/hb-4t5.html  Order with the 5000°K lamps.

"It's good, though..."