Author Topic: "Texas Rising" miniseries on History Channel  (Read 8166 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
"Texas Rising" miniseries on History Channel
« on: May 28, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
Anybody watching that?  Who is the crazy old guy supposed to be, who survived the siege at The Alamo and has waged a personal guerrilla war with the Mexicans?  (and maybe the Comanches, they haven't got that far yet.)  I don't think they've given him a name.  Maybe he is just a stock character Anonymous PTSD Soldier.

AFAIK, Mrs Dickinson was one of the only survivors, and a negro named "Jim" (didn't have a last name) was the only actual combatant  who survived -- not counting Seguin and various couriers who left before the last battle.

I know it's part history and part fiction, but they are not making clear which is which.
"It's good, though..."

SADShooter

• friend
Re: "Texas Rising" miniseries on History Channel
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:44:13 PM »
I'm enjoying it as an entertainment. The performances are solid, though I have no idea who the Ray Liotta character is supposed to be either.

I'm no prude, but I do think the sexual innuendo and overt content are a bit over the top for the subject matter and audience.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:02:14 PM »
I'm enjoying it as an entertainment. The performances are solid, though I have no idea who the Ray Liotta character is supposed to be either.

I'm no prude, but I do think the sexual innuendo and overt content are a bit over the top for the subject matter and audience.

Yep.  But if you're talking about Emily West, the pretty young black or maybe Creole woman, that's a big part of her mythology. ("The Yellow Rose of Texas")  She supposedly kept Santa Anna, ahem, "occupied" at the beginning of the Battle of San Jacinto.
"It's good, though..."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 04:12:33 PM »
Sure, but the bath scene and rose-pricking dialogue was a bit yeasty for a younger audience that may have tuned in.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 04:20:32 PM »
I like it, the Wycoff guy who was at the land grant office may be a relative of mine. My great great grandfather used to own 25k+ acres in Texas and his wife was a Wycoff.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »

I know it's part history and part fiction, but they are not making clear which is which.

90% fiction. Especially the yellow rose crap.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 06:32:53 PM »
It's a good show.  Digging it. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 10:23:44 PM »
Cable went out tonight.  Hopefully they'll show it again tomorrow.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 10:28:03 PM »
I like it, the Wycoff guy who was at the land grant office may be a relative of mine. My great great grandfather used to own 25k+ acres in Texas and his wife was a Wycoff.

Well, no he isn't.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 12:59:23 AM »
I'm not liking it. Not a historian by any means, born and raised in Texas. Heard all he stories, studied Texas history in school and further in college and on my own. They got the names and places right. Not much does. As in:  there was a guy named Houston, one named Anna, and they fought at San Jacinto....we will fill in the rest with bull *expletive deleted*it.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 01:12:32 AM »
I'm not liking it. Not a historian by any means, born and raised in Texas. Heard all he stories, studied Texas history in school and further in college and on my own. They got the names and places right. Not much does. As in:  there was a guy named Houston, one named Anna, and they fought at San Jacinto....we will fill in the rest with bull *expletive deleted*it.

You expect actual history from the "Hitler was a working stiff descended from UFO aliens" channel?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 01:27:55 PM »
I mean hell, how much of the "Vikings" show is accurate? Very little I presume
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 03:35:14 PM »
I haven't watched it.  How much cool fighting to this series have compared to Vikings?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 03:58:58 PM »
I haven't watched it.  How much cool fighting to this series have compared to Vikings?

Not much fighting yet. You get to see Sam Houston do a naked mud covered monkey man dance though

Abraham Lincoln

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »
Anybody watching that?  Who is the crazy old guy supposed to be, who survived the siege at The Alamo and has waged a personal guerrilla war with the Mexicans?  (and maybe the Comanches, they haven't got that far yet.)  I don't think they've given him a name.  Maybe he is just a stock character Anonymous PTSD Soldier.

AFAIK, Mrs Dickinson was one of the only survivors, and a negro named "Jim" (didn't have a last name) was the only actual combatant  who survived -- not counting Seguin and various couriers who left before the last battle.

D'oh!  he's "The Man With No Name"   :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 05:57:03 PM »

People watch that show?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 10:02:43 PM »

People watch that show?
Good looking women and a lot of bloody fighting with axes.  What is not to like?  The drama is secondary. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 11:24:18 PM »

It's actually fairly close to folklore about Ragnar Lothbrooke from what I can tell.  I wouldn't call it factual but there's some history to it, probably more than most stuff on THC.  Of course what's funny about that is THC doesn't produce it.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 11:47:51 PM »

People watch that show?

vikings is epic. 
JD

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: "Texas Rising" miniseries on History Channel
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 01:44:08 AM »
vikings is epic. 
Watched first two seasons on amazon prime.  Pg13 games of thrones with better setting.  Like it better than got.  Worth watching.

If you want more better viking and saxon action bernard cornwells saxon series is flat terrific.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 05:41:38 AM »
Watched about half of the first episode, couldn't get into it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 12:37:35 PM »
Watched about half of the first episode, couldn't get into it.

Vikings, or Texas?

Hey, maybe they could do a crossover episode!
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 01:36:29 PM »
Vikings, or Texas?

Hey, maybe they could do a crossover episode!

For me, it was Vikings.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 03:54:10 PM »
Actually, I've not been able to get into either one, although I might give Vikings a try again.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 11:03:58 AM »
I'll probably keep watching, but this week's episode was half meh and half good.
JD