Author Topic: Anyone been to Dollywood recently?  (Read 737 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Anyone been to Dollywood recently?
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:07:55 AM »
I had thought about giving my wife a short tour of the goat rodeo known as Gatlinburg (about 2.5 hours from me), but I'm not driving all that way just to see fake chalets and go to pancake houses. So I thought about taking her to the Southern Cultural Establishment known as "Dollywood." Only to find out tickets are 62 dollars, per person, per day. Which seems really high to me just to ride a few rollercoasters, eat a soft serve cone, and look at hillbilly relics inside reconstructed log cabins.

Maybe we'll just ride the BRP instead.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Anyone been to Dollywood recently?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:24:36 AM »
Sounds about right. Last time I went to Six Flags Over Texas tickets were $60.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »
We went to Gatlinburg for our honeymoon. Fun town, we were there for a week. After about three days we about ran out of reasons to leave the hotel, which was fine by me.

If you go, the Christmas place can be dangerous if she likes trinkets.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
For me, Gatlinburg proper is good for about four hours of wandering.  After that it is just expensive parking and bad traffic with no payoff.

There's a bypass so you can get directly into the national park without going through Gatlinburg.  The trails there are worth hiking and if you go at the right time you don't have to deal with crowds.  My wife and I did have to turn around once when a bear decided that it preferred exclusive use of the trail.

We took our daughter to Dollywood a couple years ago and she enjoyed it immensely, but yes, theme park tickets are expensive.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 02:04:25 PM »
Dollywood is the least tacky place in Pigeon Forge. Been several times, always enjoy it. Definitely get into the park. Cades Cove is a very popular spot but with reason, excellent wildlife viewing at sunset. Looking for something off-beat? Check out Mt. LeConte Lodge.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 03:52:01 PM »
Sounds about right. Last time I went to Six Flags Over Texas tickets were $60.

Yes, but there are half off or better coupons (or equivalent discount tickets) for Six Flags all over the place around here.  Used to be all the local Dr Pepper cans had a discount of some sort for either Six Flags or Sea World.