Author Topic: Help Leaving California  (Read 2104 times)

doczinn

• friend
Help Leaving California
« on: January 04, 2006, 09:25:55 PM »
I was just hoping some of you with the good fortune to have already left this helllhole might be able to help me out a little bit. I'm trying to convince the wife that it's best to get out of here as soon as I get my degree, but the liberty argument doesn't work with her - she likes the weather. Maybe id everyone could mention little advantages to their state (whatever it may be) over California. For example, Standing Wolf just mentioned in the DMV thread that it took him 20 minutes at the DMV to get a license, which was then good for ten years. A long exhaustive list of that kind of thing might be convincing. Anyone?
D. R. ZINN

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Help Leaving California
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:49:12 PM »
Oh, let's see....
I got my license in 20 minutes, good for 8 years. The machine spits it out right there, no 2 weeks in the mail.
Vehicle reg. $35, any vehicle, good for 2 years.
No smog check, except in Eugene and Portland.
Far less racial tension.
The water tastes like water, not chlorine.
My utilities average about a third lower.
Friendly people.
Class 3 firearms.
CCW.
No rolling blackouts.
No water shortages.
I can count on one hand, the number of police sirens I've heard this year.
The Cascade mountain range(I live in the foothills).
Biscuits, gravy and a mocha(I know, it's weird, but it's a delicious breakfast).
Coffee on every corner.
Clean roadsides.
Polite fast food workers.
English is the primary language here.
Double the square footage, for a third of the money.
No more pumping gas, and I still pay less than I did in CA.
Guns are an accepted part of life.
Cheaper groceries.
Wholesome place to raise children.
Green grass.
Four seasons.  
Different cultures are accepted here, not rammed down the public's throat.
The list goes on....
Hi.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Help Leaving California
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 04:53:52 AM »
Utah: (specifically the Salt Lake City valley)
4 real seasons
Clean, low crime,
decent public transportation
downtown revival that makes going downtown fun
Shall issue CFP
Hiking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting, fishing all within 1 hour.  Lots of other recreational opportunities throughout the state.  
In the top 5 for fastest growing economies in the country
Low cost of living, gas stays at the low end of the spectrum, food is cheaper than Kalif.
Housing is cheaper than Ca by over half.  And for the money, you get large houses in the suburbs, or cool older homes in SLC proper.  I have 2500sqft, after its 100% fiinished (basement) it will be worth around $220k.  Market is growing above national average because of other Kalifornistan refugees bringing large downpayents.  $500k and less than 45 minutes from downtown:
http://www.utahrealestate.com/537888
6 bedrooms and 4000sqft in one of the most prestigious neighborhoods in town.

Good luck getting out of Kalifornia.  I'm trying to rescue my Mom and step-dad from Santa Ana.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lennyjoe

• friend
Help Leaving California
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 06:02:21 AM »
Come on over to Arizona.  Weather is great, gun friendly, plenty of places to shoot and possibly a lot cheaper to live.  That is unless you move to Phoenix.

Declaration Day

• friends
Help Leaving California
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 06:29:26 AM »
I doubt I could convince you to move to Michigan.  We have 4 seasons and you'd probably think 3 1/2 of them are too cold.

Stickjockey

• friend
Help Leaving California
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 09:31:22 AM »
What Fjolnirrson said, plus:

Pick your terrain; what you like, we got. Mountains, coastal, high desert, deciduous woodland, conifer woodland, it's all here.

The recreational opportunities are abundant, from skiing to windsurfing, boating, fishing, hunting. The larger cities have decent performing arts centers, so you can take in a play or opera if you're so inclined. Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland is cool.

I'll add more as I think of them.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Help Leaving California
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 12:53:26 PM »
A west coast-er will usually want to stay in that general vicinity, because the ambience, the people, the climate is generally consistent to what you're familiar with.  No. Cal (so I've heard) is beautiful, but Oregon seems the best of the 3 western options-- high regard for individual freedoms, growing economy, proximity to relatives in CA.  

I'd try to sell you on AloBammo, but unless you like vast expanses of pine trees, there's not a whole lot to sell.

Get out of the Granola State, bro!
Fig

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Help Leaving California
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 01:07:58 PM »
I could say move to Iowa too, great quality of life and reasonable living, yes you can have a big yard and not have to sell your first born child to own it.  

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Standing Wolf

• friend
Help Leaving California
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 01:39:48 PM »
Actually, it took me ten minutes to get my driver's license.

I'm in Colorado south of Denver. The sun has been out all day. There's no snow in my yard. The temperature is about 50° right now. I haven't heard a siren in weeks, perhaps months. My gunsmith is due to deliver a couple pistols within the hour. Yes, he picks up and delivers. I have pretty good neighbors. The worst thing about my neighbors is that the folks behind me shoot off lots of firecrackers every year on Independence Day. I drink the water out of the tap instead of buying bottled. I can almost always find everything I want at a single grocery instead of having to go to two or three. My property taxes for the yearsmall two-bed-room house on a modest lot with two-car garagewill be under $700. I paid under $130,000 for the house, by the way, and it's in a quiet, safe neighborhood, although there are some people down the street with a loud car stereo. All the yards are fenced. My neighbors and I collect one another's mail and newspapers when people are out of town, and invite one another to holiday dinners. We swap tools and yard gadgetry and expertise. I hardly ever see a dog running loose. It's a racially integrated neighborhood, but there are no obvious illegal aliens. There hasn't been a burglary in the neighborhood in at least five years, and that was the theft of a radio from an unlocked truck. I've never seen smog. I'm within easy driving distance of the Rocky Mountains. Lots of shop keepers count back my change. I carry a gun openly about a third of the time, indifferently concealed about a third, concealed the restand the permit I was initially told would be good for a year turns out to be good for four. Both the town I live in and the county are free of political corruption, and although that can't be said for Denver, it's true for the rest of Colorado, as well. You don't need a permit to keep and bear arms at home, in your business, in your car, in your boat, in your airplane, et cetera. I could own machine guns if I were so inclined. There's no fee for the background check when buying guns, and the check usually takes less than ten minutes. Firearms registration is illegal here.
My only regret about leaving the People's Republic of California to return to the United States in 2002 is that I didn't do it years sooner. I still miss the mild weather now and then, and will probably always miss the wonderful beaches, but in all other respects, life is much better in the United States.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Help Leaving California
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 12:48:20 AM »
Can't believe I forgot this one. No sales tax. It sounds like a little thing, but it really adds up. Say I take the Jeep in for new tires. Say a hundred per tire. Where I used to live, taxes were 8.25cents for every dollar. So on your four hundred dollar tire purchase, I'm saving $33 or so. Over the course of a year, I've saved a pretty penny.
Hi.

doczinn

• friend
Help Leaving California
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 12:57:35 PM »
Apparently this forum doesn't subscribe me automatically to a thread, even when I start the thread. Great examples so far. Remember, the personal liberty argument remains unconvincing, and so do guns.
We have 4 seasons and you'd probably think 3 1/2 of them are too cold.
I wouldn't, but she sure would.

FWIW, she's not from here either, she's from Brazil (hence liberty less important to her), so the weather is a concern, but she's not tied to this region.

Anway, keep 'em comin'. I want to compile a huge list of the advantages of other places and just blow her away with it.

(On the other hand, it's about 75 here today...)
D. R. ZINN

...has left the building.

Help Leaving California
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 04:10:42 PM »
And I'm so crazy I'm thinking about moving TO California...

Help Leaving California
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 04:19:34 PM »
My Arizona driver's license will last until 2050. Smiley I love showing that to people around here. If you're interested in Az I can tell you some good stuff, busy now though.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Help Leaving California
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 04:33:13 PM »
Much of what was said about Oregon also applies to Washington.  However, in the Seattle area (I am one of the few remaining natives), housing is becoming very expensive and the traffic is getting worse and worse.  The further one moves from the central Puget Sound basin, the better those two things become.  My 2050 sq. ft. house, which sits on a 6000 sq. ft. lot, which I bought new in 1998 for $ 200,, is worth $ 300,000 now, and I pay $ 2000/year in property taxes. I live about 25 miles north of Seattle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

doczinn

• friend
Help Leaving California
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 08:24:34 PM »
Arizona is where I'm dreaming of, just far enough north to be out of the desert. Obviously, employment is important.
D. R. ZINN

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Help Leaving California
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 02:59:28 AM »
Unfortunately, the places with the nice weather and/or good economies are also the most likely to get infested with suburbatronic units.

Mrs. Firethorn and I fell in love with Coeur d'Alene when we visited last fall. But we've already been priced out and built out. Wish I'd known about it about five decades ago. Sad

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org