Author Topic: Prayers, please: my BIL is on suicide watch  (Read 2434 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Prayers, please: my BIL is on suicide watch
« on: January 06, 2006, 08:09:24 PM »
My brother-in-law has been in county lockups more times than I can count. Almost always, it's because of cocaine or crack.

Before he got into this *expletive deleted*it, he was one of the kindest and most gentle people you'd meet.

When he's clean, he's just as kind and gentle.

I don't know why the deputies have put him on suicide watch.

All I know is that my wife lost her father back on August 29th.

My wife is hurting, and so am I.

Please pray that my BIL comes out alive.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 08:38:28 PM »
Heartfelt prayers sent from a fellow Wisconsinite. Stay strong through these tribulations.
Andy

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 08:51:28 PM »
Prayers on the way.  If you would like to talk, PM me on THR and I'll call you.

God bless.

Preach
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 08:59:42 PM »
Prayers sent.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 02:52:03 AM »
I have a BIL who's got similar stuff going on. Prayers sent.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 04:50:16 AM »
Be strong for him and your wife.  Stay close to her.  Our prayers are with you.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 07:33:05 AM »
Prayers sent. My FIL (80) has been very ill and talks suicide constantly. My MIL within the last few days gave me his old Woodsman to keep in my safe. He ain't gonna be happy when he finds out either. Would you all mind icluding him in your prayers as well?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 07:47:40 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Prayers sent. My FIL (80) has been very ill and talks suicide constantly. My MIL within the last few days gave me his old Woodsman to keep in my safe. He ain't gonna be happy when he finds out either. Would you all mind icluding him in your prayers as well?
Count on it

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 08:26:36 AM »
Prayers on their way.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Strings

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 10:10:09 AM »
Dick, you can feel free to call me if you need too. Think you know the number...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 12:10:35 PM »
A lot of time when one gets locked up and is very drunk or very stoned, the person will tend to become very maudlin.  LEO's in the jail will put them on suicide watch as a precaution.  Hopefully that is the case.

We'll be thinking about all of you, including 280's family.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 12:30:39 PM »
Suicide watch means a guard checks on him at least once every 15 minutes, depending on policy,  a CO sits and watches him 24-7 until a doctor determines he is no longer at risk.  Most often they are placed in medical.  Being placed on suicide watch can be caused by something the person says or attempts or "risky" behavior observed by a staff member.  Nothing is certain but it's very rare that a person on suicide watch commits suicide.  Needless to say, therapy is due.   Don't tear yourself up over this, I doubt that this is the first problem he has had nor will it be the last,  HE has to decide to change.  It is beyond your power to create an artificle world that will meet his wants and desires.  Good luck, maybe this experience will motivate him to turn his life around.
Career Corrections

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 04:17:57 PM »
I work in a psychiatric hospital.  When we put someone on suicide observation it is because we observe dangerous behavior or they tell us they can't keep themselves safe.  Either way, the person directly or indirectly let us know they need our help.  That is a good thing.  Consider he could have simply done something to harm himself without letting anyone know and he didn't.  That is the first step.

When he does get out he should get treatment both for the drugs and the depression ASAP however (even better would be if they can give him the therapy and possibly meds while in prison).
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

Derby FALs

• http://www.derbyfals.com/home.htm
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 06:42:50 AM »
Get your butt to a Alanon meeting.
?Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.? - Thomas Jefferson

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 09:09:58 AM »
More prayer sent today for you and your BIL.
Andy

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 01:27:39 PM »
Well, as so many times before, my brother-in-law was lying. His sister called the house of corrections, and he's not on suicide watch. He was just trying to scam my mother-in-law into giving him the cash he needs to pay his child support (that's one of the reasons he's in).

He's been a real drag on the family for over a decade.

There are times I feel sorry for him, and other times I'd like to punch him out.

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 01:51:00 PM »
No offense intended but he is a REAL inmate at heart.
Career Corrections

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 03:03:34 PM »
No offense taken, telewinz. He's definitely learned the ropes over the years he's been in and out of jail.

Before he got into cocaine and crack, he was a terrific guy. Had a very good job as a four-color press operator, had really lovely young women chasing him, had lots of friends, love of family, etc.

Watching him go through his addiction process, and reading posts from libertarian types on THR, has caused me to re-think my opposition to legalizing drugs. I'm not 100% there yet, but close. If the stuff he's smoking and snorting were legal and taxed, there could be more money available for rehab. I think the longest time he ever spent in a rehab center was two days.

My wife and I moved to our current house over 13 years ago, and nobody has ever told him our address or phone number. It's been a secret (to him) so that his mother could stay with us if he got violent. His mother will be moving soon into a home of her own (my FIL died in August) and he won't know where she lives, either. It's for her protection.

I doubt he'll live to be fifty years old. What a waste.

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 04:32:52 PM »
It's terrible but a common enough story with inmates.  It's just a question of time before he receives effective treatment, by being incarcerated for a few years.  I guarantee you he will "kick the habit" in prison (despite what the movies decree) where choice is taken away.  Tell your sister and MIL that a bad kid is not necessarily created by bad parents...choice does enter into the mix and about a third of my inmates had model parents.  Instant gratification is alive and well in our society as you know.  At least you still care about him, it's a shame that the reverse can't be said.
Career Corrections