Author Topic: Japanese Whaler Collides With Greenpeace Boat  (Read 1305 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Japanese Whaler Collides With Greenpeace Boat
« on: January 09, 2006, 07:19:55 AM »
The part of this story that actually got me was where they state that the Japanese were simply watching while Greenpeace was engaged in High Seas graffiti on the side of a Japanese vessel. International waters. Put a hole in their stinkin' inflatable.

------------------------------

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20060108p2a00m0na011000c.html

Japanese whaling ship collides with Greenpeace vessel, activists say

SYDNEY -- A Japanese whaling ship collided with a Greenpeace boat in Antarctic waters on Sunday, a spokesman for the environmental group said. No one was injured.

Greenpeace expedition leader Shane Rattenbury said his ship, the Arctic Sunrise, was carrying 25 people when it was rammed by the Nisshin Maru, a factory ship belonging to a Japanese whaling fleet. He called it "deliberate."

Greenpeace said the whaling ship was watching over activists onboard inflatable rafts as they painted the words "whale meat from sanctuary" on the side of a nearby Japanese supply vessel, shortly before the collision occurred.

"At the time, we were over a kilometer from the Nisshin Maru," Rattenbury told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. "There were no other vessels in the area and there was no reason to head towards us -- the Arctic Sunrise was virtually stopped at the time."

Greenpeace supplied photos of its damaged ship, but the cause of the destruction couldn't be independently verified. The Japanese Embassy was not immediately available for comment Sunday.

The Arctic Sunrise has been chasing Japan's whaling fleet in Antarctic waters for almost two weeks, hampering their hunt for 850 minke whales and 10 fin whales as part of Japan's scientific research program.

The research whaling is permitted under the rules of the International Whaling Commission, but Australia and other anti-whaling countries say it is really commercial whaling in disguise. The ships sell the whale meat in Japan.

Australian environmental groups have been repeatedly denied permission by a federal court to sue a Japanese whaling company for allegedly killing minke whales in Antarctic waters, which the Australian government has declared a whale sanctuary.

The courts have ruled that Australia cannot legally stop a whaling company hunting in international waters protected by Australia, because Japan doesn't recognize Australia's jurisdiction over the waters. (AP)

Australian minister condemns conservation group's threat in whaling debate

January 8, 2006
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 07:41:01 AM »
How in the hell does a 50,000 ton whaling ship outmaneuver what is essentially a speed boat on steroids?

I'm not at all a big fan of whaling, but Greenpeace has the unique ability to really piss me off.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 08:21:37 AM »
I'm not at all a big fan of whaling, but Greenpeace has the unique ability to really piss me off.
That's exactly how I feel about them and several of the other more militant environmental organizations. Living in Eco-Nazi Central, I get hit with the "in your face" environmentalism all the time. I truly believe in the conservation of resources and practice it to the best of my ability in my personal life. But after some jackass at work gives me a 20 minute lecture about throwing a single piece of paper in the trash instead of the recycle bin, it just makes me wanna go out and club a baby harp seal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 09:04:47 AM »
SWMBO has a full length faux fur coat.  It is really sharp and looks absolutely real.
She loves to wear that coat when we go out or she is shopping.  I pity the poor fool that approaches her in a hostile fashion.  She has a left hook that comes out of nowhere.  She has some rather strong feelings about people invading her space.
shocked  shocked
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 10:22:29 AM »
She has a left hook that comes out of nowhere.
That the voice of experience Grampster??? Cheesy Tongue

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 03:18:08 PM »
I own a bomber jacket lined with coyote fur. Had it for many years.  Very nice for extremely cold, wet weather.

It's amazing how quickly confrontational bunnyhuggers retreat after you grin maniacly and suggest *their* pelt would make a good second coat while whipping out a large folder.  Of course, it's been amybe 10 years since I've done that.  I've mellowed a little...

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 03:31:11 PM »
A Japanese whaling ship collided with a Greenpeace boat in Antarctic waters on Sunday, a spokesman for the environmental group said. No one was injured.
Too bad.

Strings

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 03:39:02 PM »
I'm one of those who will have tremendous respect for Greenpiece when they try throwing blood on a Hell's Angels member for wearing leather, instead of targeting lil' ol' ladies in fur...

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 03:46:26 PM »
exactly, HR.....exactly.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 03:48:18 PM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
I'm one of those who will have tremendous respect for Greenpiece when they try throwing blood on a Hell's Angels member for wearing leather, instead of targeting lil' ol' ladies in fur...
Good, very good. Cheesy
Andy