Author Topic: Site(s) for downloading CD-quality songs?  (Read 3757 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Site(s) for downloading CD-quality songs?
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:11:10 PM »
I just subscribed to a good online service for listening to music. I can pull up just about any song I can think of. The problem is that I can only play the music on the computer. The files are compressed MP3's and even though they can be purchased for 99 cents each, the quality wouldn't be good enough for a full stereo system.

Does anyone know of a site where you can legally download full-size files in music CD format (WAV?) for burning to CD's?

I'd rather compile my own CD of songs than wade through some of the "B" or "C" songs from full-length CD's.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Site(s) for downloading CD-quality songs?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:20:31 PM »
Any more condoning of illegally pirating music will result in a time out.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:00:40 PM by JamisJockey »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:24:48 PM »
Ok, let me rephrase. Does anyone know of a site where you can pay to download CD-quality songs? ;)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:41:06 PM »
MP3 of 256 and greater is what I normally download and it sounds fine in my stereos.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:49:05 PM »
1.  WAV is not CD format, it is merely an uncompressed audio format
2.  If you can hear the difference between an MP3 and a WAV (of similar sample rates), I'll eat a pair of moccasins.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 12:33:36 AM »
Thanks. MP3 it is, then.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:35:10 AM »
IMO, the DRM-less MP3s you buy from Amazon are of sufficiently high bitrate as to be indistinguishable from a lossless recording. That said, there are sites that sell lossless recordings, generally in FLAC format, such as http://www.allflac.com/, though their library is going to be smaller than what's available from Amazon or (shudder) iTunes.

Edit: Semi-redacted link as upon further review it does not appear to be a "legit" site. That is, though they charge money, I doubt any of it is making its way back to the artist or label, judging by the prices. I have occasionally found legit sales of FLAC before, but it's been several years since I've looked.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:47:39 AM by Marnoot »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 01:47:13 AM »
I mostly use Rhapsody to buy music although I have used Amazon and, when I have NO other choice, iTunes (SPIT!).
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 05:47:19 AM »
Why not just hook the PC directly to the stereo?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
Why not just hook the PC directly to the stereo?

Because the stereo system in my Mustang doesn't have a USB port, and I can't afford a reallllllyyyyy long USB cable. ;)

So, just so I have this right, MP3 files burn to CD just like WAV files, without any additional software required?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:32:21 AM »
i have heard tale of these things called iPods, all the hip kids have them
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 11:38:43 AM »
Because the stereo system in my Mustang doesn't have a USB port, and I can't afford a reallllllyyyyy long USB cable. ;)

So, just so I have this right, MP3 files burn to CD just like WAV files, without any additional software required?

No.  They have to be encoded properly.

It's been eons since I've ripped MP3 to CDA (CD audio) format.  Heck, it's been eons since I've ripped CDA to MP3.  I used WinLAME to do that.

Check your stereo and see if it is able to read data-CD's that contain MP3's instead of CDA-formatted discs.  Some stereos can do that.  Then you can fit 100+ songs on a CD instead of only 10-15 or so.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »

Well no. But the needed software to go from MP3 to CD format is part of every CD burning package I've ever seen.  Both iTunes and Windows Media Player have it, for example.

What year is your Mustang?  Many of the newer (post '05 or so)factory stereos will read MP3 format which vastly increases your song/disc ratio.

Lastly, if budget allows, I strongly suggest ditching the discs.  I put a Pioneer Nav unit in my Cobra when the factory Mach system crapped.  I got the head unit, USP/iPod cable, mounting kit, and Ford specific wireing harness for about $500 delivered.  Some solder in my garage, and 35 min in the drive way, and I have WAY better sound quality, touch screen, GPS, and the abilty to plug my 160Gb iPod in (inside the center console) and have more music then I could want.  And no fumbling with discs, reburning scratche CDR's (they seem to scratch easier) or having my passengers step on CD cases.  Best car audio move I ever made.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »

Technically, the formatting on the CD is neither MP3 or WAV.  The software you use to burn the disc probably will accept either and make the conversion process transparent to you.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
itunes' songs are now lossless m4a files, with no DRM.

While you're there, download my EP :-)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/run-for-your-life-ep/id287436967

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 01:58:12 PM »

And the kids who do a bit of research have Creatives, iRivers, Sandisks...   :lol:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 05:24:02 PM »

I bought my wife an Ipod for working out at the gym. I carry it in for her, though, because she always tangles up the wires around her walker. It's tough for me to balance on my cane while carrying that little Ipod, too. I'd use it, but the hair in my ears is so thick that those little ear pieces won't stay in.

If Itunes converts MP3 files, then I'm sure I'm fine. My car stereo probably plays MP3 files, too, I just never checked.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 05:36:32 PM »
yeah one cool itunes trick is to change the output format when you burn a data cd to mp3

you can also choose what come into Itunes, up to a 320 MP3

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:43:17 PM by Harold Tuttle »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

erictank

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 05:59:23 PM »

You can burn MP3s to CDs as data as-is, using Windows built-in transfer/CD-writing ability.  Your stereo (home or car) may or may not be able to play MP3s, in which case you'll need additional conversion software to convert the MP3s to a format the stereo can read (Redbook?  CD Audio?  It's been forever since I've needed to do so).  My stock car stereo in my 2008 Subaru Forester can play WAV, MP3, and WMA (Windows Media Audio, the format Windows Media Player will rip a CD to in your PC), and my understanding is that this capability is relatively common in newer car stereos.  I have a 6-disc in-dash CD changer in my stereo, and the 5 discs I have in there now hold hundreds of songs.  Ability to plug in an Ipod or other portable audio player, or even a USB stick with music on it, is also becoming more and more common, so check your owner's manual.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 08:30:32 AM »
Ability to plug in an Ipod or other portable audio player, or even a USB stick with music on it, is also becoming more and more common, so check your owner's manual.

Heck, the $90 stereo I put in my wife's car about four years ago has an SD slot and USB port on it.  Good thing, too, since the dirt driveway we had at the time, coupled with the lack of a cabin air filter, killed the CD player pretty quickly.  Took us a while to notice, though, since long before that we realized that SD never skips no matter how bad the road is.

I put a $30 combo Bluetooth handsfree/MP3 player with FM transmitter in my Blazer, and with any road noise at all, I can't tell the difference between it and a CD directly in the player.  It takes SD or USB, or A2DP from the phone, and has the bonus of auto-muting and speaking the caller ID when a call comes in.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 09:41:52 AM »
My wife's car stereo is constantly scrolling its features on the display. It will play MP3's, has a Bluetooth connection function, Ipod connection function, and a long list of other file types or hardware compatibility. I'm surprised it doesn't have a SCSI port for Syquest drives.

I took a look at Itunes on this Mac, and see that it will convert all sorts of files, including MP3's. I didn't think that compressed internet music files could be decompressed and sound right on a good stereo, but it looks like I was wrong.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 05:48:07 PM »
My wife's car stereo is constantly scrolling its features on the display. It will play MP3's, has a Bluetooth connection function, Ipod connection function, and a long list of other file types or hardware compatibility. I'm surprised it doesn't have a SCSI port for Syquest drives.

I took a look at Itunes on this Mac, and see that it will convert all sorts of files, including MP3's. I didn't think that compressed internet music files could be decompressed and sound right on a good stereo, but it looks like I was wrong.

I hear no difference between the MP3s/WMAs on my in-car compilations and the CDs they came from.  Is there one?  Perhaps - but it's hidden by road noise and whatnot, if it's there at all.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »
to tell the difference, you need a good set of headphones, and maybe an amp. =D or you could just be like me, mp3s for more than an hour and my ears start ringing. :facepalm:

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 08:31:25 PM »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
That's a rerun, Z.O.B.

I downloaded about two dozen songs from Amazon in MP3 format. I'll see how they sound on the Mustang's stereo (which is a pretty good system) with the sound up to about 100 decibels.