Author Topic: Metrossexuals and Hipsters  (Read 3759 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Metrossexuals and Hipsters
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:09:01 PM »
This came up on my Yahoo feed.   "Mansome"   They teach some basic life skills along with some useless information for those "guys" who's dads tried to show them how to be men, but were too busy playing video games and worrying about what clothes to wear to school, to learn basic man skills.

Some examples:
http://screen.yahoo.com/mansome-173-knife-skills-kitchen-040000971.html

http://screen.yahoo.com/mansome-187-mansome-guide-making-230000816.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Metrossexuals and Hipsters
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »
I'm sorry, but what is your point?  We already totally get the pussification of the metro/hipster male, and their general uselessness at anything worthwhile to society.
Formerly sumpnz

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 12:51:34 AM »
Fail.

Nothing about guns.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:17:15 AM »
Fail.

Nothing about guns.
But it'll keep them alive long enough to hold up for after you've shot and consumed everything else. Maybe you'll get lucky and stumble across some wild fava beans too.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:49:53 AM »
Can't those people join the Boy Scouts now?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
Can't those people join the Boy Scouts now?   =D

No.  Considering most homosexuals I've known have been tougher then the average hipster....I hope the boy scouts never lifts the ban on hipsters.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »
The point is that these "guys" never learned the basics of being a man either from their fathers or a male mentor (grandfather, uncle, cousin, neighbor, etc.)  Some/most were raised by single mothers and were never taught, others just never bothered to learn and some were inculcated with a sense of being a boy/man was somehow wrong.

Now that they are older, the are discovering that there are things that they should "know", but are lacking.  Especially the two hosts who are hipster/metrosexual types.  Stuff that they should have learned in Boy Scouts, for example, they now have to learn as 20-30somethings, because they discover that what women really want is a true man, not a man that dresses and acts like a woman. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »
I was raised by a single mom, but I guess that I got my values from Gene, Roy, and Duke  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 05:20:02 PM »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »
The point is that these "guys" never learned the basics of being a man either from their fathers or a male mentor (grandfather, uncle, cousin, neighbor, etc.)  Some/most were raised by single mothers and were never taught, others just never bothered to learn and some were inculcated with a sense of being a boy/man was somehow wrong.

Now that they are older, the are discovering that there are things that they should "know", but are lacking.  Especially the two hosts who are hipster/metrosexual types.  Stuff that they should have learned in Boy Scouts, for example, they now have to learn as 20-30somethings, because they discover that what women really want is a true man, not a man that dresses and acts like a woman. 
I grew up near some woods a couple miles outside a small town.  We burned trash, ran around the woods, killed snakes, fished, shot BB guns, put firecrackers in cow paddies, etc, etc, etc.  I reluctantly changed my own oil and tires when I was older because I didn't have the money to let someone else do it and my Dad sure as hell wasn't going to pay for it.  <<Insert hunting, camping or other personal story here>> There are city people who never do those things and never really cared about it.  Do you call that a lack of man-hood?  I don't know.  Not all those people are hipsters or metrossexuals though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »

Sadly my dad was a Marine, yet taught me very little.  I learned way more on my own, and from my FIL.  Luckily as a kid I pretty much lived in the woods, and got boy's life, sports afield, and a few other magazines to boot. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »
Sadly my dad was a Marine, yet taught me very little.  I learned way more on my own, and from my FIL.  Luckily as a kid I pretty much lived in the woods, and got boy's life, sports afield, and a few other magazines to boot. 

Seems like some of this stuff is just born into you  =|

Not the knowledge of course (you have to learn that somehow) but at least the inclination.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
Seems like some of this stuff is just born into you  =|

Not the knowledge of course (you have to learn that somehow) but at least the inclination.

Most men and hell most women have it. Survival instinct. 

I've tried to be real cognizant to include my son in on projects.  Besides teaching him to shoot and fish, I've made sure he can run a drill, and he even has his own little tool kit.  My daughter is next.
JD

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »
Years ago I was involved in the clean up after the conclusion of a construction project.  I was one of about 5 wheezers.  Balance of the physical labor force was male college students.  Right quick there became an evident a way of differentiating the physical work force.  The wheezers had no problem getting dirty and doing the nasty jobs.  After all were were hired to do the dirty stuff.  Not so much with the college males.  They wore the requisite casual, dirty-able clothes but their enthusiasm for actually engaging in dirty work was most certainly lacking.  It got to be more than just a minor issues.  The youngsters would simply not engage in dirty work.

Shift to the conclusion of the clean up.  I was able to get friendly with a number of college students and began to pry.  Bottom line . . . . every single college student I got close to that was "reluctant" to engage in dirty labor was the product of a household headed by a female.  It makes sense.  It is the female of the species that exhorts the youngins to not get dirty, be careful, don't get hurt, ad nauseum.  There was no male of the species around to tell the kid it is ok to get dirty as long as you clean up later.  If you get hurt you will more than likely live.  Do your boy thingy but just control it.  Being a male is not evil.  It is who you are, all you have to do is learn self control.

When I was a kid it was a badge of honor to have a raspberry on your elbow or knee adorned with either Mercurochrome or Merthiolate.  Yeah it stung but so what. . . . it was the badge of being a boy.  Somehow i don't see these youngster putting up with something that stings.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 09:28:08 PM »

My daughter seems to be drawn to these types. Her first husband was raised by a single mom and was useless as teats on a duck, couldn't keep a job, didn't even know how to check the oil in an engine, let alone change a tire and didn't care to learn, I tried. After a little over a year she took him home to his momma and gave him back.
2nd husband also was raised in a home with nothing but womens but has "risen above it". He was already a gun guy, has his armed security license and has been employed by the same company since we've known him. I still need to teach him how to fish though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »
When I was a kid it was a badge of honor to have a raspberry on your elbow or knee adorned with either Mercurochrome or Merthiolate.  Yeah it stung but so what. . . . it was the badge of being a boy.  Somehow i don't see these youngster putting up with something that stings

Chicks dig scars =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 11:34:31 PM »
A wheezer? Is that an old dude?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 12:14:14 AM »
Raised in a household of nothing but women here - mother, her identical twin aunt, and my younger sister. Our PETS were all female, I was literally the only male in the house. Definitely a lack of male-oriented training and at least a subtle discouragement of male-oriented practices - Mom forbade me from having GI Joe stuff or toy guns, though Star Wars stuff and military fighter models were grudgingly accepted. I did, of course, use forked sticks as "guns", straight ones as swords, all that kind of jazz. Played outside, rode bikes through the woods, just ran around like kids did in the 70s and early 80s. She did NOT like that Dad, during my visits with him, would take me shooting sometimes. My earliest memories are of Mom and Dad screaming at each other, and Mom got basically full custody; we moved from NYS to central TX when I was 9, and we (sister and I) visited him for 6 weeks in the summers. His temper was frightening, further pushing me to "not be like Dad", though he never harmed or threatened any of his kids, tried hard not to show his temper around us but... he was loud.

Picked up doing my own basic car maintenance in the service - man, I miss that workshop on base! - and got into cars. My midlife-crisis-mobile will be a V8 Mustang of some kind. Better figure out which one I want, I'll be 42 in 4 weeks. I do far less of my car maintenance now, and that's bugging me. I'm not totally incompetent with basic home repairs, though nowhere near my maternal-grandfather's level (he was an awesome woodworker and carpenter, and built a second floor onto his house when I was a small child). Moderately mechanically-inclined, I suppose, is not a bad way to put it. Got back into guns starting almost 15 years ago now. Seeking to up my manliness quotient lately, as I was always trained to be accommodating and yielding and quiet and meek, and I've come to the conclusion that that's really not working out all that great for me. Trying to speak... louder, more forcefully; to be more decisive, to stand up for what I want and what I need. Mom trained me to be self-reliant, to a fault even, but not to advocate for my wants and needs - really, not to be traditionally-male, and I *DON'T* like that. I think it screwed me up in ways I'm just uncovering and trying to undo. Blue-collar job which provides uniforms and where I at least occasionally get dirty; actually, that describes my entire adult working life, all three major jobs I've had. I don't like getting dirty, but once I accept in my head that I have to do whatever I'm doing that's getting me dirty, and that doesn't take too long at all generally, it stops being a concern at all and I've come home from work absolutely filthy, or come inside from yard work in the same sort of condition.

Balance all that against the facts that I've never cared for such "traditionally-manly" things as camping and sports and hunting and beer. I don't dress well - my wife has said that I dress like a college kid (polos and khakis, rather than the jeans and solid-color tees I used to wear several years ago). I clean up pretty well, though, when I do play dress-up. I'm a big fan of computers and gadgets, though not to the point of being something like the stereotypical fat basement-dwelling gamer. Speaking of which, I'm seriously overweight, about 100 pounds or so, though I've been told I carry it pretty well; and I hate HATE *HATE* exercising and have little self-control re: eating. Dateless band geek in high school, life-long Star Trek fan (wrote a fanfilm and got my friends to actually do a good bit of practice on it, though nothing was ever filmed) and Star Wars fan, current member of the 501st Legion (pro-grade Star Wars costumers, for those who don't know - this last is how I met my wife). I did the Boy Scout thing for a bit, but we moved away from my first troop, and the one I ended up in next soured me on Scouting for the rest of my childhood and teen years.

My point? Don't know that I have one. Not a metrosexual, not a hipster, but lacking in the training in the manly arts from an early age - Scout's first sentence above fits me to a T. This is definitely a real thing, and dealing with the deficiencies caused by it is... difficult.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »
Raised in a household of nothing but women here - mother, her identical twin aunt, and my younger sister. Our PETS were all female, I was literally the only male in the house. Definitely a lack of male-oriented training and at least a subtle discouragement of male-oriented practices...

Similar here, but I guess I rebelled against it.

I didn't even meet or talk to my dad until I was in my forties.  My mom didn't re-marry until I was out of the house, so though my stepdad was a great guy, he wasn't around when I was growing up.

For a while I wanted to be a submarine officer (  ;/ ) but then I just wanted to be a mountain man  :lol:  I got sick of school and let my grades drop from Straight A the last couple years of HS.  I did a number of manual jobs eventually becoming a sawmill hand and then moved into logging which became a passion.  It wasn't until we went broke, moved into town and got a job that made me very sick that I went back to college at age 37.

I guess it would be interesting if my dad had been around when I was growing up.  =|  He was a paratrooper in WW2 and a professional boxer for a while.  Otherwise, he was an auto mechanic, service manager, and finally owned a very successful small Chevy dealership.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
and finally owned a very successful small Chevy dealership.
He sold small Chevys? ???
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »
He sold small Chevys? ???

=D

No, it was a dealership in a very small town.  Under my half-sister/brother-in-law they were one of the few or only one to survive the 2009 Government Motors pruning of all but the largest dealerships.  (you know ... who gives a flying flip about people who have to drive 100 miles one way to buy a vehicle or get warranty service?  ;/ )

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 12:49:31 AM »

Grew up in a "normal" family.

Mom ran the family, Dad did the bread-winning stuff.

However, Mom wasn't the least bit shy about manual labor, and literally built half our home while Dad was at work building moon rockets.

Mom had grown up in a family of mostly guys, her father was an inventor, hunter, outdoorsman, and ballistics expert.  She understood what it was to be a boy and what boys had to do in the process of growing up.

She taught me the bachelor arts:  how to cook, sew, knit (yes, and even crochet, which I never mastered), mend, wash clothes, and all the stuff that "you need to know how to do when you're living on your own."

Dad introduced me to wood carving, and I have some cool scars from the learning process.  Dad did some of his own work on the cars, and I learned a little watching him tune engines and stuff.

But when it came to construction, my mom could seriously keep pace with Dad and set the pace for us kids.  We built a cabin in one week during a summer vacation visit to our property in southeast Arizona.  Mom cut boards, dug trenches, hammered nails, ran plumb lines and chalk lines, and generally functioned as foreman for the job.  Dad was the hands-on architect.  Built a salt-box cabin with sleeping for six out of 2x6 T&G, including the floor, roof, and door (massive gate hinges on that door).  In a week.  Mom could seriously slap lumber around.

The boys (three of us) were allowed to be boys, with all the attendant injuries and go with being boys.  It wasn't about being "manly" or macho.  Dad spent time with us, but his lessons tended to be more pragmatic and practical things (knots, carving, a little wrenching, how to study, how to set up a tent, how to build a campfire (although Mom did that too), how to trench around a camp to avoid flooding, how to hike in the wilderness and not get lost or dehydrated.  

How to drive.  Gawd, what phenomenally patient man.

We never went hunting, shooting, or fishing, but Mom & Dad made no objection when I got my own pellet guns or bought my first fishing boat.  Mom gave me a Pearson recurved bow for Xmas and showed me how to string and shoot it (lessons from her own father).

Dad was a generally taciturn fellow, a voracious reader, and a very serviceable tenor to Mom's alto and soprano.  There were all kinds of conversations I never had with Dad.  Among them was the "normal" discussion of guns.  I didn't discover until he was ninety that he actually had a preference in rifles, liking the Johnson 1941 Carbine over the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine.  It was one of those "but you never asked" things.  It was only after his death that I was to learn that he had been a personal aide for Count Alfred Korzybski.  So many things I could have learned, had I only bothered to ask.

Mom's take on "keeping kids safe" can probably best be expressed in this little story:
    When I was 18 and working for a local motor hotel in Tucson, I had worked three consecutive shifts and decided that instead of driving home I would go to the county fair instead.  I pulled up at a red light, signaling for a left turn and, when the light turned green started the turn and promptly dozed off.  And smacked head-on into a shiny Mustang.  [Insert two hours of Keystone Cops hilarity]  My car was actually drivable, so I drove it home.  As I walked into the house with my head tied up in a makeshift bandage with lots of colorful splotches on it, Mom looked up from whatever she was doing and quoth:
    "Don't bleed on the rug."

That was Mom.  She knew boys, having had a crop of brothers.  She knew they were messy and random.  She was okay with that.

And, as it happened, we pretty much all turned out to be self sufficient.

I'm generally mechanically inept (where cars are concerned), but that's more my own fault, not theirs.  Both of my brothers are quite handy in the auto maintenance department.

But I can handle household stuff, I can cook, and I have no trouble "batching it" when I must.

Guns?  Well, that's a different story, but the short version is that I just woke up one day and realized family defense was my job.  I'd have gotten there sooner, but . . . oh, well.

In summary:  yeah, Mom pretty much ran the home and raised the kids, but she appreciated the nature of boys and just let us do it.  Of course, it didn't hurt that the culture of the day was "suck it up; rub some dirt on it, kid."

My own kids are a different story.  We'll do that another time.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »
When the twins were born, I joked that I was going to teach my son to cook and clean and my daughter to shoot and work on cars. While I still think it's essential to "cross-train" if you will, it didn't work out quite like I'd planned. The daughter was the quintessential girly girl and the boy was all boy and both fiercely resisted anything that even remotely seemed to be typical of the other gender. Now that they're older it's sorted itself out. The daughter loves to shoot and no longer has any qualms about getting her hands dirty and the son made an amazing garlic mayonnaise, from scratch, the last time he was here.

I don't think, if you met my boys on the street, you'd think either of them was raised by a single mom. They're both as rough and tumble as they come, capable, fiercely independent, opinionated, not afraid to get dirty, and with good work ethics. Not that they're perfect - far from it. The oldest boy has a temper that he can't seem to get under control and neither of them can seem to find any direction in life, but they're good young men.

My daughter, of course, is perfect.  >:D

I grew up without a father and the impact that had on my life is another story. But it did teach me how to be both parents when necessary, I suppose.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »
MrsSmith, you are the exception that proves the rule.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.