Author Topic: Metrossexuals and Hipsters  (Read 3760 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: Metrossexuals and Hipsters
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »
My dad is a great guy, but only moderately handy. That and a short temper that taught us to stay scarce when he was working on stuff left me with a dearth of handiness. I've taught myself to shoot, and with the help of friends and the Internet I've muddled through quite a few home projects. I've also learned when to stop and get out my wallet for stuff beyond my ability. ;)
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »
I was lucky to grow up at a time when guns (real and toy) were 100% normal for young men and boys to have and shoot, when not knowing how to work on a car was considered weird, when (as Waitone mentioned) having a scar was something to be proud of, and getting dirty or even smelly was just part of the job.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »
...and getting dirty or even smelly was just part of the job.

I really doubt that's changed at any time in the recent past. There's always a certain set of people that ends up doing the (literal) dirty work, and a set of people that are insulated from it.

Of course, if you go back far enough, very few people got to stay clean. Back when the kings fought with their troops, and tossed table scraps to their dogs, when entertaining the other fancy people.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »

I really doubt that's changed at any time in the recent past. There's always a certain set of people that ends up doing the (literal) dirty work, and a set of people that are insulated from it.

Of course, if you go back far enough, very few people got to stay clean. Back when the kings fought with their troops, and tossed table scraps to their dogs, when entertaining the other fancy people.

We few, we happy few . . .
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 09:56:45 PM »

"Must be the king ..."

"How do you know?"

"He hasn't got *expletive deleted*it all over 'im."
Formerly sumpnz

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 11:41:16 PM »
My dad is a great guy, but only moderately handy. That and a short temper that taught us to stay scarce when he was working on stuff left me with a dearth of handiness. I've taught myself to shoot, and with the help of friends and the Internet I've muddled through quite a few home projects. I've also learned when to stop and get out my wallet for stuff beyond my ability. ;)

If you strip it all away, it's not the individual skills you were taught, or absorbed.

It was a lack of learned helplessness.  "People do this. I am a people..  =D So I can probably do this, and I should try. At least I'll find out."

People growing up without that is the root problem.

That's what is at the root of all of this, and what this thread is really about.
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 05:15:17 AM »
If you strip it all away, it's not the individual skills you were taught, or absorbed.

It was a lack of learned helplessness.  "People do this. I am a people..  =D So I can probably do this, and I should try. At least I'll find out."

People growing up without that is the root problem.

That's what is at the root of all of this, and what this thread is really about.

Yep and add the "Im too lazy to take personal responsibility, its always someone else's fault for my failings/actions" factor and you have a recipe for a useless idiot.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »
Hasidics + Hipsters = Hilarity

http://takimag.com/article/10_weird_and_wonderful_things_about_living_among_hasidic_jews_gavin_mcinnes/print#axzz2VZhU2r1U

Unite the Beards is a new and remarkably naïve organization that wants to bring hipsters and Hasidic Jews together. They’re based here in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, where the Hasidic community has made it very clear they hate hipsters way more than everybody else does. Before moving to this area 13 years ago, I lived in Montreal, which is also lousy with Hasidim. I have a place upstate, too, which is probably #3 as far as densest Hasidic populations go.

After a good 25 years of being surrounded by them, I still don’t know the first thing about them. This is primarily because they’ve decided isolationism is the key to cultural preservation.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 03:10:52 PM »
I wonder if we can somehow turn the M's and H's against each other?  The resulting pathetic slapfest might be hilarious.
"It's good, though..."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »
I wonder if we can somehow turn the M's and H's against each other?  The resulting pathetic slapfest might be hilarious.

"(Is that a boy or) Girl Fight!"
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »
"(Is that a boy or) Girl Fight!"

Exactly!
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »
I don't see anything at all Mansome or metrosexual (Jamis) in being able to handle a knife in the kitchen.

If you want to somehow "prove" you're a real man by chopping your finger off, that's fine.

As far as I'm concerned, though, a real man knows how to feed himself and eat with all 10 digits.

That said, WHAT you make for dinner with your mad knife skills is another matter entirely, isn't it Mr. Jamis "Rare Ahi Tuna and Sensible Steamed Vegetables" Jockey?  :laugh:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 07:59:08 PM »
Mike,

While I completely agree about Jamis"Manscaping"Jockey, my point was that these are (basic) skills that my father (or uncles) taught me.   Dad taught me to cook.  (Mom only knew how to burn stuff, Dad wasn't a French chef, but he could take some pretty basic ingredients and make a filling, tasty meal.)   Uncles helped with outdoor skills and mechanical/handyman stuff.  (Dad wasn't too handy around the house.)  Having one Uncle that worked at handcrafted cabinetry shop and another that ran printing presses (for newspapers and magazines, not your resume') were helpful.  They all hunted and fished and camped.   Most times the instruction seemed to run along the "Hey, Dumbass, you'll set yourself on fire/hurt yourself doing it that way.  Do it this way instead."  It also helped toughen you up.  Nothing like having your Uncle look at you and then shake his head.  You could almost read their minds.  "I'm surprised he's lived this long, he sure as hell won't make it to his 18th/21st birthday."

The only time I ever remember my Uncle Tip smiling at me was when we stopped at his house on our way back from Ft. Leonard Wood after I graduated from Basic Training.   He had been a Marine in the Pacific all through WWII.   I knew I wasn't one of his many Dumbasses anymore.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:48:11 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 09:07:22 PM »
I pretty much had to learn everything on my own.

I did finally discover that if you take a big rock and chip it off into a sorta circle shape that you can use it to move stuff around  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 11:44:26 PM »

Yeah, I've heard of those.

And did you know, if you rub some sticks together, you get this hot, bright dancing spot, and if you hang meat over it, the meat tastes better.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »
Yeah, I've heard of those.

And did you know, if you rub some sticks together, you get this hot, bright dancing spot, and if you hang meat over it, the meat tastes better.
Look at Mister Fancy-hide here, honest-to-Gruk raw meat isn't good enough for you?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 07:42:12 PM »

Look at Mister Fancy-hide here, honest-to-Gruk raw meat isn't good enough for you?

It's all the rage.  I reckon that soon every one will be doing it.  We tried it with some of those lizard eggs last moon.  They were right tasty.