Author Topic: Weird cell phone episode  (Read 3765 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Weird cell phone episode
« on: October 25, 2013, 11:05:57 AM »
I went to bed last night about midnight. At 1:11 am, my cell phone rang. Without my glasses, I could only make out the area code, which was my own. I answered the phone and heard someone playing music. It wasn't recorded music broadcast over the phone, but rather music being played on a stereo, boom box, etc.

When the music ended, the call disconnected.

I thought I'd call and see what kind of ahole calls at 1:11 am, and so selected the last call and hit the dial button. The land line phone in my house rang. I looked again at the call log on my cell, this time with my glasses, and the incoming call had been from my land line.

How would someone or something make a call to my cell through my land line? And how would that someone or something have both numbers?

I can't begin to figure this one out.

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Weird cell phone episode
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:10:44 AM »
Temporary split personality?

Maybe?

???

This is one of the more bizarre things I've heard about . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
This being the Poly-ticks forum, I'm going to say the NSA did it  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
The only logical explanation is that someone broke into your home and played music into your landline while calling you on your cell phone.  And you missed it.

Sleep safe. [tinfoil]   ;)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:32:26 AM »
Probably a Phreaker...hope you don't get SWATTED.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »
 "The call's coming from INSIDE the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »
Anyone else in your house?    
If you were listening to music over your phone that was being played into a phone in your own house, it seems reasonable to believe it might have been audible without the phone.  
-or-
Do you have any ghosts in your house?

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »
"The call's coming from INSIDE the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This.

I would have cleared the house while carrying the highest capacity firearm I owned.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 12:23:20 PM »
Sooo.... what was the song?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »
Get

Out

Of

The

House

Now!

:O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

robear

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 02:01:09 PM »
Could have been a prank call from someone who was able to spoof their CNAM (caller ID name) to your home number.   A bit disconcerting that they would have both your cell number and your home number, and knew they were yours.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
That is odd.

I would assume a spoofer too. And start getting nervous
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
I’m going to guess it’s not targeted or personal. I would bet it’s phone scammers who have gotten some sort of cross-referenced data of cell phones and home in some sort of data breech that was subsequently sold on the black market.

They’re running an automated script late at night looking to find phone numbers/accounts capable of certain kinds of forwarding. The music in the background is to foil automation that hangs up on lines/calls with no noise, or if answered by a human, to keep them listening and saying “hello?” long enough for the detection routine to do its work.

The reason to spoof your home number is that a cell getting calls from a home number, or one just likely to be from the same last name as you and in your contacts list if it’s a relative etc. is you’ll pick it  up.

Then, whatever phones they find that have the needed forwarding service, they hack it, and use it to sell cheap stolen long distance line-time for international calls for third-world foreign workers living abroad, or route your phone into a 1-900 billable line. If they do it from the right countries and from the right circuits there’s no charge-backs so they can steal and keep the money, and the American consumer, or more likely, the carrier eats the fees.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »
NSA Poltergeists.   

It's been nice knowin' ya.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 03:03:25 PM »
I’m going to guess it’s not targeted or personal. I would bet it’s phone scammers who have gotten some sort of cross-referenced data of cell phones and home in some sort of data breech that was subsequently sold on the black market.

They’re running an automated script late at night looking to find phone numbers/accounts capable of certain kinds of forwarding. The music in the background is to foil automation that hangs up on lines/calls with no noise, or if answered by a human, to keep them listening and saying “hello?” long enough for the detection routine to do its work.

The reason to spoof your home number is that a cell getting calls from a home number, or one just likely to be from the same last name as you and in your contacts list if it’s a relative etc. is you’ll pick it  up.

Then, whatever phones they find that have the needed forwarding service, they hack it, and use it to sell cheap stolen long distance line-time for international calls for third-world foreign workers living abroad, or route your phone into a 1-900 billable line. If they do it from the right countries and from the right circuits there’s no charge-backs so they can steal and keep the money, and the American consumer, or more likely, the carrier eats the fees.

Andrew, my home phone doesn't forward to my cell. I don't have my cell and home phone listed together anywhere, although there are some people who have both.

According to my call log on my cell for my home phone number, I called it on Thursday and that was the last call made on my cell. So, when I looked at my list of incoming and outgoing calls, my home phone would have been the last number called except for the 1:11 am call. If that call somehow managed to not show in the call log, then it would have been the earlier call to my home phone that I hit (I wasn't wearing glasses). But how would the number not show?

I called my carrier and they gave me the phone number that called. It's another VOIP phone, this one from Blocton, AL. This is the first time that a call from a VOIP phone has resulted in anything other than a hang up.

Strange.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 03:10:14 PM »

"Ghosts" is certainly a simpler explanation . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »
Nice prank, Rev!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Lee

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »
Someone who did not receive their moccasins.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »
Someone who did not receive their moccasins.
Or haunted moccasins
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.