Author Topic: For your amusement: Justice Alito mouths, "Not true" to Obama criticism of SC.  (Read 7940 times)

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Although it would kick over my gigglebox to see SCOTUS start ruling on cases in a strictly Constitutional basis, in direct opposition to TOTUS, it would be a dangerous precident...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
He really does think he's FDR, doesn't he?

Or Andrew Jackson?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Or Andrew Jackson?

Because he's trying really hard to put a one-term limit on the Presidency?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Although it would kick over my gigglebox to see SCOTUS start ruling on cases in a strictly Constitutional basis, in direct opposition to TOTUS, it would be a dangerous precident...
If the Court ruled based on the Constitution, and those ruling were in direct oposition to the Prez, then that would be a reflection on the Prez more so than on the Court. 

The danger be having a Prez that needed to be overruled on Constitutional  grounds, not the actual overruling itself.

MechAg94

• friend
Does anyone think that McDonalds or Merck is going to alienate their customers by supporting one candidate over another?

The bill was designed to protect incumbents, and Democrats are worried right now about Democrat incumbents.
Exactly.  The more you require candidates to have big campaign organization in place to manage all the regulatory funding issues, the bigger the bar is against challengers.  It also puts up larger barriers to third party or independent challengers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Its my understanding the corporations are banned from donating directly to political parties. And SCOTUS didn't really touch that issue.

Correct.  Even after this ruling corporations can't directly donate to candidates elections coffers.  I don't really have a problem with that restriction.

The issue at hand was a private company producing a video that promoted a candidate during the "blackout" period of McCain-Feingold.  The SCOTUS overturned some older rulings, I think the most obvious came from the 1980's, which was local to me.  The Michigan Chamber of Commerce took out an ad against a candidate that they deemed harmful to member's interest.  That was later challenged in court and the ruling was in favor of restricting their speech rights.

It's amazing watching the "liberal" outrage over this ruling.  If you believe their line of thinking we no longer have a voice in elections because ads can be taken out by corporations.  Nevermind that we're the ones actually voting in them.  Took a while for it to set it but I finally realize that it's just another extension of them wanting to use our government to try and protect ourselves from our own actions.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Took a while for it to set it but I finally realize that it's just another extension of them wanting to use our government to try and protect ourselves our government.

Fixed it for you.