Author Topic: Hams: Rep. Peter King (R-NY) wants to auction off the 70cm band  (Read 1618 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
As it says, Representative Peter King (R-NY) wants to auction off the 70cm band (420-440mHz) to pay for part of the Broadband for First Responders’ Act of 2011.  What a swell guy.  And clueless, too.
The 70cm band is only one of the most active bands we have, and it is heavily used for public service events.

Link to ARRL page on the issue.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Hams: Rep. Peter King (R-NY) wants to auction off the 70cm band
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:06:40 PM »
give king points for consistent clueless
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:16:06 PM »
Want to bet he and his co-sponsors have been offered campaign donations from certain communcations equipment manufacturers?  The bill is nothing less than a complete overhaul of the public service communications infrastructure.  Everybody has to move to a different part of the spectrum when it's all done.  And that requires all public service agencies buy new comm gear.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:46:24 PM »
Wow, that would bankrupt the podunk no cell service area I live in.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:56:34 PM »
Tsk-tsk-tsk... it's all based on free market lobbyist principles, so what are you bellyaching about?

I don't see a problem just because the Professional Radio Service has more bucks than the Amateur Radio Service.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
Tsk-tsk-tsk... it's all based on free market lobbyist principles, so what are you bellyaching about?

I don't see a problem just because the Professional Radio Service has more bucks than the Amateur Radio Service.

Hey, it's my ox being gored here!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »
Bounced it around to the local ham club and Skywarn groups.  If we can get it brought up in Skywarn training, it will get to a lot of LE and rural VFD folks who can raise a stink from their end as well.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »
Sounds like "Unintended Consequences" time, but from the HAM's.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 12:14:47 AM »
Want to bet he and his co-sponsors have been offered campaign donations from certain communcations equipment manufacturers?  The bill is nothing less than a complete overhaul of the public service communications infrastructure.  Everybody has to move to a different part of the spectrum when it's all done.  And that requires all public service agencies buy new comm gear.

Want to bet the politicians are getting all their information on this from those same manufacturers? Most likely, they think they're doing the right thing, modernizing our communication infrastructure and such. Let's hope you HAMs can patiently enlighten them. It's all Greek to me.  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife