Author Topic: Very nice experience today, shaving related....but a sad day, too....  (Read 3451 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
....I was reading a thread in another, no name  grin spot on the web regarding shaving.  A lot of the posters chimed in with their opinion and advice on how they shave, what to use, where they do it, how they do it, etc....it got me to thinking...I've been using my Grandfather's razor and brush for the last few years....he used it forever before me...the brush was tired, the double edged safety razor was falling apart-  To the point that I've given myself a few good slices in the previous few weeks.  Like 4-5 inch slices in my neck, because the handle was loose...oh, does that bleed...

Well, I started obsessing over what to get.  I feel in love with the Merkur line- nice looking stuff, and it's what the pros use...I figure it will probably last...now to locate one...I needed to see it, touch it, feel it...I'm going to use it at least once a day, and hopefully be able to pass it on....*expletive deleted*it, no one in my immediate area has a store front...nope...wait...there is this site...http://www.barclaycrocker.com...hey, they are in New Hampshire....and the picture looks like a store....dammit, where's the address...I put it off for a few, then got another nice slice...

I can not find the address anywhere...so I email this company...AND, believe it or not, get a response back in hours!!!

Nope, they don't have a store front, but they'd be happy to set something up.  Get this- "Here's a cell, call on the way, and we will do our best to be there".  Huh?  Personalized service?  Going out of the way for someone.  No way.

Way.  I send an email at 6:30 this morning.  Slow day at work, boss is gone, I have a new Centro...let's escape and scope this place out...a little Miles Daivs, a Monte Christo, a perfect sunny day...I get an email response within two hours with directions.  I also get a phone call to make sure I understand how to get there.  Huh?  Like, a company that cares about it's customers?  No wait- I'm not a customer yet, I'm some no name window shopper.

So, I make the 1 1/2 hour drive...walk in to this quiet little garage/ shed/ building with 3 LARGE garage door, and a few windows.  No sign, nothing....I am unsure if I'm in the right place, so I call...and a human picks up the phone.  Yes, I'm in the right place, go in the doors, then in the next set, they are in on the right...

Well, it roughly the size of a classroom, and they have 6 foot bookshelves along the walls.  Two VERY pleasant woman greet me.  One is Caitriona Barclay, the owner, and her faithful sidekick...her name escapes me (sorry, no offense meant)...both took time, like over 45 minutes of their time to open boxes and show me stuff....razors, soaps, stands, cups, brushes, colognes....on and on and on....they have a ton of personal "feel good" stuff.

Here's the thing, they never once tried to upsell me.  I asked for something, they took out 5-10 of each to show me different ranges of price and quality.  They never pushed, never pleaded never got aggrivated...they were awesome.  Absolutely, positively awesome.

They two ladies could not have been nicer.  I left there feeling great about the whole experience...and a snazzy new razor, it's sexy...oh and some soaps....and a brush (I went with a badger one)...and a mug...and some more soap...and some cologne...and some, well, you get the point.

Until I got home....I went to put the new razor in the shower....but I had to take the old one out...

I then realized that I have started almost every morning for the last bunch of years with a connection with my Grandfather....and, well, for the sake of not slicing my face off, I need to change that...

God, I miss that man. 

undecided

One day at a time.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Very nice experience today, shaving related....but a sad day, too....
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 02:02:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Ex-MA.  One of those neat stories.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention, I left there, made it about 3 miles down the street, and had to stop my car abruptly...there was a bear in the middle of the road, and I figured that even though he wasn't in a cross walk, I probably should yield the right of way to him....
One day at a time.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 02:09:22 PM »
That adds a chuckle, Ex-MA.  Silly bear.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:30:39 PM »
Your Grandfather wouldn't want you to cut yourself, and you'll still think of him when shaving.  Smiley

You just bought world class tools.  Perhaps, in time, someone you love will be forced to discard them, having shared use of them with YOU.
Zeke

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 02:42:47 PM »
That's why I bought the ones that I did...everything I read indicated I'd be able to return the favor to my Grandchildren....
One day at a time.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 02:44:11 PM »
So there's a hairy bear, and you sitting in the car with all your new razor and shaving implements.

Did the Darwinian thought even cross your mind???   grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »
He didn't get the clue that he was supposed to go out and give the bear a shave.....what with Global woerming and all.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 02:48:44 PM »
Maybe....

Actually, I went from "I have 21 brand new laser sharpened blades direct from Germany, I bet you I can shave him bald" to "I can picture those jackasses from APS sitting in the car with me goin' "You can't do it, all you have is a .38 +P, EVERYONE knows that you need at least a .45...nah, a .50....nah, my Great Uncle's Brother's Roomate's Aunt Cousin's Sister's Probation Officer's Protologist's Best Friend once took a bear down with a .22.....""

grin
One day at a time.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 02:53:32 PM »
Where in NH is the razor place?

Just curious.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 02:55:10 PM »
Maybe....

Actually, I went from "I have 21 brand new laser sharpened blades direct from Germany, I bet you I can shave him bald" to "I can picture those jackasses from APS sitting in the car with me goin' "You can't do it, all you have is a .38 +P, EVERYONE knows that you need at least a .45...nah, a .50....nah, my Great Uncle's Brother's Roomate's Aunt Cousin's Sister's Probation Officer's Protologist's Best Friend once took a bear down with a .22.....""

grin

Well, he did take one down with a .22.  He told me so.
And how did you hear about him?  I never told that story here.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 02:57:07 PM »
Silver Lake/ Madison...Off of 113...
One day at a time.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 02:57:38 PM »
Rocketman- Fistful told me.
One day at a time.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 03:51:42 PM »
So, which beard-buster, blades, & other accouterments did you purchase?

Can you a device as a carry-on on an airplane?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton