Author Topic: Permit, shmermit... You're dead anyway.  (Read 7342 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Permit, shmermit... You're dead anyway.
« on: June 16, 2017, 05:46:35 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/us/philando-castile-trial-verdict/index.html

To no one's surprise, the cop who shot a black permit holder has been acquitted.

I am having a seriously hard time telling my black friends how concealed carry isn't just for white people.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Permit, shmermit... You're dead anyway.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:55:14 PM »
I am having a seriously hard time telling my black friends how concealed carry isn't just for white people.

Based on this case alone, or are there others?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »
Ignition off, radio off, hands on steering wheel.

"I'm armed today, officer, how do you want to handle it?"
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 05:09:01 PM »
Ignition off, radio off, hands on steering wheel.

"I'm armed today, officer, how do you want to handle it?"

Pretty much my plan but with license and permit in hand.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »
Pretty much my plan but with license and permit in hand.

There are numerous, documented cases in which motorists have been shot by nervous cops because they (the motorists) reached for a wallet before the cop told them to, and the cop assumed they (the motorists) were reaching for a gun. The generally-accepted advice is to roll down the driver's window and sit still, with your hands visible on the steering wheel, until the cop approaches the window. THEN you tell him/her that you have a permit and are carrying, and ask how he/she wants to proceed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 06:42:30 PM »
I carry DL/reg/insurance  ( and permit when I have one, it expired and I lacked the funds to renew/requal )
on a small clipboard slipped into the sun visor so that my hands are clearly visible.
as far as I know, the shot guy was reaching for his wallet which was in the same area as his gun - really stupid - he may have even stupidly reaching for his gun ...
I think the guy and his GF were part of the moorish - sovereign movement so popular with half wits.
All the evidence I have seen lead me to believe the cop was innocent
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »
There are numerous, documented cases in which motorists have been shot by nervous cops because they (the motorists) reached for a wallet before the cop told them to, and the cop assumed they (the motorists) were reaching for a gun. The generally-accepted advice is to roll down the driver's window and sit still, with your hands visible on the steering wheel, until the cop approaches the window. THEN you tell him/her that you have a permit and are carrying, and ask how he/she wants to proceed.

I don't know where most people carry their ID but only takes me a few seconds to have it out and ready before the cop even opens his door. By the time he walks up to the car I'm sitting with both hands on the wheel holding DL and CCW, inside light on and window down.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »
I don't know where most people carry their ID but only takes me a few seconds to have it out and ready before the cop even opens his door. By the time he walks up to the car I'm sitting with both hands on the wheel holding DL and CCW, inside light on and window down.

Sounds like you're getting a little too much practice.  =)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 09:36:03 PM »
I do the sit and wait. My ID is in my purse which means going for it usually involves bending over and digging around since it often gets dropped in the passenger side floorboard. I prefer the cops not think I'm digging around for a weapon or trying to hide something I shouldn't have.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 11:04:22 PM »
Best thing to do is sit and wait with hands on wheel or on the ceiling.  Interior lights on if at night.

Having be n an MP, seeing people squirming around before getting to the to window makes cops nervous.  Yes, you are trying the be cooperative and helpful.

Wait for instructions.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 05:21:34 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 11:46:49 PM »
I get my wallet out as he's getting out of his car, and put in on the dashboard.  Then put my hands on the wheel and wait.  Dome light on if it's at night (it's never been at night)  I don't tell him I'm armed unless he says something like "get outta the car" (which has never happened)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 11:48:57 PM »
I like to fire a couple of celebratory rounds into the air, smoke a bowl, and then get out and perform several soliloquies from Shakespeare. Or Les Miserables, depending on mood.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 12:28:13 AM »
I like to fire a couple of celebratory rounds into the air, smoke a bowl, and then get out and perform several soliloquies from Shakespeare. Or Les Miserables, depending on mood.

. . . or recite Hollywood's version of Ezekiel 25:17
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 02:35:58 AM »
I've told the story elsewhere on here, but after almost being shot with my own gun, I no longer tell LEO's I have one, unless it's germane to the conversation.

I can do the whole side of the road, get a ticket thing without once mentioning that I have a gun.  I've had several conversations with LEO's about things I witnessed with both our weapons securely holstered and nobody nervous.  If the conversation goes bad, and I'm going to get searched, we can revisit the issue then.

If you don't have to tell them, and they aren't going to find out, don't tell them.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 03:15:44 AM »

If you don't have to tell them, and they aren't going to find out, don't tell them.

Unless, of course, you're in one of those states that requires you to inform a police officer you're carrying immediately upon contact.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 03:30:04 AM »
Unless, of course, you're in one of those states that requires you to inform a police officer you're carrying immediately upon contact.

That's why I bolded he word have.  If there's a legal requirement you have to tell them.  Try not to get shot.

I've said it before.  Looking down the barrel of my own .45, with some one else's finger on the trigger, while they fumbled to unload it was a formative experience.  Once they know you have it, you have to follow their instructions on the subject.  I no longer, voluntarily, give up that power.  If you have to, you have to.

I just like to get my experience out there.  So much of the CCW Community is like "Tell the cop on the side of the road first thing!  Don't make any sudden moves!"  Lot's of folks live where there is no duty to inform. 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 09:00:21 AM »
I carry DL/reg/insurance  ( and permit when I have one, it expired and I lacked the funds to renew/requal )
on a small clipboard slipped into the sun visor so that my hands are clearly visible.
as far as I know, the shot guy was reaching for his wallet which was in the same area as his gun - really stupid - he may have even stupidly reaching for his gun ...
I think the guy and his GF were part of the moorish - sovereign movement so popular with half wits.
All the evidence I have seen lead me to believe the cop was innocent

You misspelled "Trigger happy".

Face it.  For the common peasant, if we shoot someone because we think they're reaching for a gun...we're going to jail.

That's why I bolded he word have.  If there's a legal requirement you have to tell them.  Try not to get shot.

I've said it before.  Looking down the barrel of my own .45, with some one else's finger on the trigger, while they fumbled to unload it was a formative experience.  Once they know you have it, you have to follow their instructions on the subject.  I no longer, voluntarily, give up that power.  If you have to, you have to.

I just like to get my experience out there.  So much of the CCW Community is like "Tell the cop on the side of the road first thing!  Don't make any sudden moves!"  Lot's of folks live where there is no duty to inform. 

While living in Utah, I was with another CCW, both armed. Female cop pulled him over for speeding.  We went text book, hands in plain sight.  He told her he was armed. She felony stopped us from there on out, minus handcuffing us, disarmed both of us, and then muzzled him about 5 times because she couldn't figure out how to operate a 1911's manual safety. My buddy finally lost his cool.  Another officer showed up and placed the guns in the seat of the car and told us to have a nice day.

While I've never been disarmed since then when informing an officer, it's not an experience I want to repeat.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
That's why I bolded he word have.  If there's a legal requirement you have to tell them.  Try not to get shot.

I've said it before.  Looking down the barrel of my own .45, with some one else's finger on the trigger, while they fumbled to unload it was a formative experience.  Once they know you have it, you have to follow their instructions on the subject.  I no longer, voluntarily, give up that power.  If you have to, you have to.

I just like to get my experience out there.  So much of the CCW Community is like "Tell the cop on the side of the road first thing!  Don't make any sudden moves!"  Lot's of folks live where there is no duty to inform.  

Ill-i-noise, being the last state to get CCW, got to learn from the experience of every one else.  Our requirement is "must tell if asked".  CCW status will come up when they run the plates.  So, unless the car's not in your name, they'll know.  Just guessing, but probably the officer's perception of danger is going to be different with a gray haired white guy in a maroon Taurus, vs. certain other demographics.

But all the talk I see at the Illinoiscarry forum says "tell him right away!".  Uhh, no.  I'd rather the expected behavior be exactly what our law says.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 10:28:58 AM »
Once they know you have it, you have to follow their instructions on the subject.  I no longer, voluntarily, give up that power.  If you have to, you have to.

I just like to get my experience out there.  So much of the CCW Community is like "Tell the cop on the side of the road first thing!  Don't make any sudden moves!"  Lot's of folks live where there is no duty to inform.  

I quite agree with you. I carry a 1911 of one size or another. Most local PDs around here carry Glocks, and I'm not sure what the State Police carry but I'm sure it's some kind of Chlorox pistol. I don't need some kid less than half my age, who has never seen a thumb safety in his/her life, trying to figure out how a 1911 works on the side of an Interstate. I live in a state that doesn't require informing an officer. What concerns me is traveling through multiple states, and keeping track of which states have a duty to inform, and which states my permits are good in and which states want me to disarm.

It's a jungle out there.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »

While living in Utah, I was with another CCW, both armed. Female cop pulled him over for speeding.  We went text book, hands in plain sight.  He told her he was armed. She felony stopped us from there on out, minus handcuffing us, disarmed both of us, and then muzzled him about 5 times because she couldn't figure out how to operate a 1911's manual safety. My buddy finally lost his cool.  Another officer showed up and placed the guns in the seat of the car and told us to have a nice day.

What? That's why you're supposed to carry a CCW badge! That way they know you're legit!  :lol:

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
I live in a state that requires you to inform. So I pass along the cwp with whatever ID is being handed over at the time. Only happened twice and both times I was actually thanked, one by a city cop and one was DNR.

Now even though I've had good experiences, if I was in a locality that did not require it I'd keep it to myself unless it became relevant.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 09:11:25 PM »
I wonder how the rest of us would go with the jury on that video
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 09:36:15 PM »
It has been a while, but last time I had my wallet out almost before I came to a stop on the road side.  Now my insurance card is via a phone app so I will probably set that on the dash also. 

Many years back, I realized I needed to 1) turn my dome light on, and 2) don't thrust your driver's license toward the officer as soon as he gets to the window.  I didn't see his gun, but he jumped a little.  I didn't think about it at the time, but thought about it more later.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 09:37:51 PM »
I wonder how the rest of us would go with the jury on that video

Were I on the jury, the tough call for me regarding "reasonable doubt" would be not knowing what was going on inside the vehicle. Another reason I'd like to see universal body cameras. The question for me would be what it looked like the driver was doing with his hands. I only have the officer's statement in the video to go on, and that might raise reasonable doubt for me, barring any other evidence. I obviously don't know what all was presented in court.

From the video, that cop wasn't doing command voice - he was doing nervous nellie about to poop his pants voice. I would have had my hands on the wheel and may not have even followed his commands for ID until he calmed down, or the other cop walked up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."