Author Topic: Pelosi to try reconciliation on health care bill  (Read 5204 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Pelosi to try reconciliation on health care bill
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »
They just didn't get the message.

Rep. Paul Ryan (R., Wis.), the ranking member of the House Budget Committee, tellsNational Review Online that House Democrats are planning to use the budget-reconciliation process in order to pass Obamacare. “They’re meeting with each other this weekend to pursue it,” says Ryan. “I’ve spoken with many Democrats and the message is this: They’re not ready to give up. They’ve waited their entire adult lives for this moment, and they aren’t ready to let 100,000 pesky votes in Massachusetts get in the way of fulfilling their destiny. They’ll look at every option and spend the next four or five days figuring it out.”

If the Democrats pass a health-care bill through reconciliation, it means they would need only 51 votes in the Senate for final passage. To start the process, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) would need to bring a new health-care bill to the House Budget Committee with reconciliation instructions, with the Senate doing the same. “They’d have to go back to the beginning of the process,” says Ryan. “They’d need to affix reconciliation instructions to a new bill.” Doing so, he says, wouldn’t be too hard. “There’s nothing we can do to stop this from a technical standpoint, since all they need is a simple majority vote and our ratio on the committee is terrible. What [Republicans] can do on the Budget Committee is pass resolutions for the Rules Committee to insist on certain changes in the bill and create a ‘vote-a-rama’ atmosphere.”

If reconciliation happens, Ryan predicts that the Democrats will still have a hard time pulling it off. “There are Blue Dog Democrats out there who are more survivalist than ideologues. One or two switches could be a game changer. The question is whether Democrats will continue to follow Pelosi off the cliff. After Massachusetts, the Democrats are quickly realizing that even if the president comes in to stump, and you get all the union support you need, it’s still not enough to get you elected.”

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Pelosi to try reconciliation on health care bill
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »
 :O

I wish that was sincere.

[popcorn]
Formerly sumpnz

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »
They just didn't get the message.

They don't care about the message. They just want to do as much damage as possible while in power, and this is the chance they have been waiting for. Even if they are voted out of office within the next 2 years or so, they will still be back in power sooner or later. May be 8 years or more, may not. Doesn't matter because if this healthcare bill gets passed, it will be a major blow to the economy and the Dems win.

Personally, I think the Dems realized they would only have a limited time in control anyway, so they decided to do as much damage as possible while they could.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »
But I thought there was no difference between Democrats and Republicans.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:54:03 PM »

I agree that most of the Republicans have had a pretty poor record on spending and several other issues, including some of the constitutional rights. However, they are nothing compared to the Democrats. The Stupid Party pretty much just sits on their asses while sucking their thumbs and ignoring their supporters. Not what we want them doing, but, well, at least they aren't actively trying to destroy the economy and the United States.

The leftists, however, are plain evil. They want to crush the individual and have everybody completely dependent on and controlled by the government, which will of course be controlled by the Democrats.

The Republicans have failed to stop the "Big Spending!" train and instead continued to ride it during the last time they were in control. This contributed to them eventually getting thrown out. The Democrats then climbed on board, and laughing maniacally, pushed the lever to "FULL SPEED AHEAD" and broke off the brake handle. We're screwed.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:02:58 PM by Avenger29 »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:06:39 PM »
The only difference between the Democrats and Republicans is the speed if the hand basket headed to Hell.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:08:02 PM »

Quite often, you'd be right.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 07:09:55 PM »

Sure there's a difference between Democrats and Republicans, kinda like the difference between a turd sandwich and a turd sandwich with cheese. At least there is something good about the latter.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 08:45:12 PM »

The only difference between democrats and republicans is who they want to give our hard earned tax dollars away to.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:46:54 PM »
Meh, Germans or Quislings we're stilled hosed either way.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 10:24:03 PM »
Meh, Germans or Quislings we're stilled hosed either way.

But at least the Germans brought good beer.    =|

We're not like to be as lucky.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 11:08:56 PM »
Looks like you struck a nerve with that remark, eh?

:laugh:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 11:22:09 PM »
Looks like you struck a nerve with that remark, eh?

Yes. Pelosi is being given better treatment than the Republicans. ;)

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 11:52:24 PM »
Yes. Pelosi is being given better treatment than the Republicans. ;)

I'll happily talk about Pelosi, but my words would quickly get me banned.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 01:27:26 PM »
They are not going to stop their evil ways, and given the other legislation and diktats on the runway we will be talking about far more serious issues in a year or two.  Yes, I mean the S-word.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 02:11:53 PM »
Yeah, well, it ain't democrats who ain't figgured it out.

Seems like Soros is running his flag up the pole.  I find it more than interesting to see who is saluting. 
http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/19254

The newly minted political superstars of the republican party had better buy a clue.  Those who put them in office or bought their books are in no mood for the games of yesteryear.  McCain personally dug the hole in which he finds himself.  Newly minted republican superstars had better think a number of times before giving McCain a hand at extricating himself from his richly deserved hole.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 08:05:20 PM »
When was the last time Democrats passed a tax cut?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 08:06:38 PM »
When was the last time Democrats passed a tax cut?

1962, I believe.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

taurusowner

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 08:57:56 PM »
The Dems are playing the long game.  It doesn't matter if they pass this bill and a hundred others that arebad for the country, and it doesn't matter if they all get thrown out of office because of it.  They're not just thinking of 2010 or 2012.  They're thinking of 50 years from now.  All they need to do now is create dependents.  Make people HAVE to rely on the government for everything they can think of.  It may be unpopular now, and even get them tossed out.  But when the next generation grows into the system, the Dems will be there to reap the rewards.  They will have an entire nation of people who MUST vote for them and give them power to even survive.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 02:41:41 AM »
Yes, the Dems are playing for the long-term, which is exactly what those who value the legacy of this nation should be doing.  To do that, however, we will have to get some clarity about what's been going on, where the problems lie, and commit to an unsparing and hard-minded course of action.  An example of this is what we have permitted to happen in our educational community over the last five decades: if we don't address the destructive agendas of the pedagogic establishment in this nation and correct them we have surely lost the future.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.