Author Topic: Judge blocks part of Arizona Immigration Law  (Read 5198 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Judge blocks part of Arizona Immigration Law
« on: July 28, 2010, 02:14:22 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/

Federal Judge Blocks Portions of Arizona Illegal Immigration Law

As for me, I figured it would turn out that way.  But, I am glad Arizona gave it a go.   

OK
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:40:49 PM by Lennyjoe »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Judge blocks part of Arizona Immigration Law
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 02:52:10 PM »

So the judge struck down the law re papers and an illegal seeking work?   Perhaps I badly misunderstand US laws, but I thought those were already crimes?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »

So the judge struck down the law re papers and an illegal seeking work?   Perhaps I badly misunderstand US laws, but I thought those were already crimes?

Trying to enforce the law is a crime now.  :mad:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
Trying to enforce the law is a crime now.  :mad:

Pretty much what I got out of the decision.  Federal judge took the teeth out of it. How dare the states stand up to the .fed!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 03:03:51 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what happens when SCOTUS finally gets a hold of this one.  Because that's ultimately where it's gonna end up.  

Frankly, I hope that it passes muster with SCOTUS.  Because while it may have just been a minor inconvenience to the Obama admin. if this thing had been ruled ok by the fed. judge, it'll be a major black eye for them if SCOTUS tells them that it's legal. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
I thought it said the judge put an injunction on certain parts of the law.  It wasn't "struck down". 

The thing that I found weird is that the judge also blocked a part of the law that required immigrants to carry their papers at all times.  I thought that was already a federal law and has been for years.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 03:21:18 PM »
I thought it said the judge put an injunction on certain parts of the law.  It wasn't "struck down". 

The thing that I found weird is that the judge also blocked a part of the law that required immigrants to carry their papers at all times.  I thought that was already a federal law and has been for years.

It is part of title 8.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 05:23:11 PM »
I wonder if Rahmbo or Holder called the judge???
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:41:01 PM »
A Fed ruled that Feds rule.

You expected otherwise?

Bolton confirmed that we have a Bubble-Wrapped Government.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 05:53:26 PM »
I keep hearing opponents of the Arizona law say that it's the federal government's job to enforce immigration laws, and local law enforcement should stay out of it.

Kidnaping is a federal crime. I wonder if the AZ law opponents would be happy if local law enforcement declined to arrest any kidnappers they come across. What about polluters? If some company is dumping hundreds of barrels of chemicals into waterways, should the states just look the other way?

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 06:31:12 PM »
[flight of fancy]

We now have all the elements in place for a first class constitutional crisis.  Any legal wrangling will work its way through the ninth circus court and then onto SCOTUS.  All that is missing is someone at the state level pulling an Andrew Jackson and telling the court "enforce it".  If the governor should do a Jackson and order LE to enforce the law as written it is a given FED.gov will ride to the court's rescue seeking to stop enforcement DURING A MID-TERM ELECTION.  Plenty of teevee time.  Lots of talking head talk.  Acres of newsprint produced by state media seeking to buttress FED.gov's position.  Talk radio would have hours and hours of programming.  Surely the courts will eventually issue a final rule but not in time to stop the creation of a vivid demonstration of how statist behave. 

[/flight of fancy]

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 07:04:59 PM »
Clinton appointee.  We have become a nation of political factionalism, not law.  This is exactly what the founders feared.  Checks and balances won't work unless the President chooses federal judges by judging their Constitutional accuity rather than political consideration or agenda.  The Senate should advise and consent to hold the President to this standard, not a political consideration or agenda.  If the people are not careful who they send to the House and the Senate, pettifoggery will abound and has.

Frankin's words, "We have given you a Republic, if you can keep it" echoes through the ages.

The election this November is perhaps one of the most important in our lifetimes.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

sanglant

• friend
off topic, other side of the coin remark
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 09:59:06 PM »
hmmm, so now all the medical pot laws are worthless? :angel: and for that matter the marriage laws some states have passed should be gone now. this just might get interesting. [popcorn]

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 10:00:48 PM »

They are federal crimes, not state crimes, as per the constitution.

Rather, there's a good enough possibility that these are federal crimes and not state crimes that it makes sense to put a temporary hold on the law while we take the time to sort it all out.

I was pretty pissed about the ruling when I first heard it this afternoon.  Now that I've taken some time to think it through, I don't have nearly as much problem with it.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 02:07:42 AM »
So is the judge saying that local law can't do anything to me for violations of GCA68?

Not that I would get caught doing anything like that, but it is a Federal Law.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 02:35:17 AM »
So is the judge saying that local law can't do anything to me for violations of GCA68?

Not that I would get caught doing anything like that, but it is a Federal Law.

jim

The feds really don't want to enforce the law, but they can't repeal it, so they want to just ignore it and can't have AZ trying to enforce it for them.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 02:57:33 AM »
I was just trying to set a precedence. ;)

jim

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »
So it's Catch-22 time.

We can only enforce immigration law through the Feds.

But the Feds won't enforce immigration law.

Ah.  Got it now...
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 11:39:13 AM »
I keep hearing opponents of the Arizona law say that it's the federal government's job to enforce immigration laws, and local law enforcement should stay out of it.

So what's keeping the federal government from doing its job ?  If they had been doing their job, Arizona wouldn't have had to resort to these measures.

This is barry's fault.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 12:03:10 PM »
So....I arrest you for DUI at an accident scene where you have demolished 3 cars, killed your passenger and the driver of one of the other cars.  You are not injured.  During the booking process, I find you have no driver's license, no other ID, LEIN has no wants or warrants or any record of you, and you can't speak English except to say your name; I'm not sure what language you speak.

What now, kemo sabe??
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 01:55:23 PM »
What's keeping the Feds from doing their job?

They like illegal aliens.  Like 'em as prospective political bloc and voters; like 'em as cheap labor; like 'em as the new American population to replace the annoying and recalcitrant "legacy" population.

There is no way this administration is going to do ANYTHING serious about illegal immigration unless they get a plenary amnesty out of this.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »
My understanding is that the AZ law is "patterned" after the US law... even, I seem to recall, to using some of the same language...

<thinking, thinking>

... so if SCOTUS knocks down the AZ law, wouldn't that mean most of the fed law would also be unconstitutional...?

<mulling it over, mulling it over>

...so if the fed law is also unconstitutional, doesn't that knock down just about all of our illegal alien laws....?

<rubbing chin, rubbing chin>

...so wouldn't that be a back-door way to achieve...?

<searches for word, searches for word>

... total immigration amnesty...

Nah.  Won't happen....

I'm just an old coot who's seen so many political subterfuges in my lifetime that I've become suspicious of anything a politician does.  Call it paranoia.  I'm entitled.  Besides, it's a State's rights issue anyhow....

<scratches balding pate, scratches balding pate>

...may end up calling it the War Of Eastern Aggression, if it ever comes to that.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:54:37 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »
Be careful with the Animal House Defense.

What I heard mentioned today was that the judge basically said that not only is federal immigration law in the purview of the Feds, but that the federal policy of non-enforcement is also a federal monopoly and the state can't buck that non-enforcement policy by enforcing it on its own.  That might be a stretch, but it seems to fit.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »
... so if SCOTUS knocks down the AZ law, wouldn't that mean most of the fed law would also be unconstitutional...?
As I understand it, no.  A big part of the issue is not what to enforce, but who to enforce it.  Immigration is an enumerated federal power, not a state power, and AZ is probably acting outside it's authority by trying to enforce it.

I think all the guff about racial profiling, and failure of the feds to do their job, and all of the rest, it just misses the point.  This is an issue of federalism, of distributed powers, and of one entity trying to claim for itself the powers of the other.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 10:28:33 PM »
What's keeping the Feds from doing their job?

They like illegal aliens.  Like 'em as prospective political bloc and voters; like 'em as cheap labor; like 'em as the new American population to replace the annoying and recalcitrant "legacy" population.

There is no way this administration is going to do ANYTHING serious about illegal immigration unless they get a plenary amnesty out of this.

I realize that.  I'm less certain why his predecessor did nothing, either.

I guess my question was directed less to the folks here and more a demand to the federal government:  they won't do anything, but they object when the states take action.