Author Topic: Apple Surpasses Exxon as Most Valuable Company  (Read 5204 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Apple Surpasses Exxon as Most Valuable Company
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »
So does this mean that when Obama and Nancy Pelosi go on another "obscene profit" rampage, they'll now be singling out Apple instead of Exxon? Or will Apple get a free pass because of how cool and liberal and non-oily they are?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/10/ipad-trumps-oil-apple-is-most-valuable-us-company/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Apple Surpasses Exxon as Most Valuable Company
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »
I vote for the latter of your statement.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:01:51 PM »
They also might not want to mention Apple because Apple has more cash on hand than does the US government.

Link

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:12:43 PM »
Where are all of the screams about price gouging on I<toys>?

I forgot that gasoline isn't a status symbol for lefty eloi.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Lee

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 03:34:15 PM »
Once again, Apple (like many other multi- billion $ companies) does not pay the high rate of US taxes like you or I do. They just enjoy the safety of the harbor.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1097515

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
Look at percentage of profit and pharmacuticals outpace Oil companies also.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »
Some of the ignorance displayed by posters on that forum is...nevermind.  It's only to be expected.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »
Some of the ignorance displayed by posters on that forum is...nevermind.  It's only to be expected.

One of them even admits ignorance:
Makes sense to bring it back to the states, but how it's going to stimulate the economy after only 5% tax and going into the pockets of the rich is beyond me.

:lol:  Actually that's very sad, because people like this vote.  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »
Look at percentage of profit and pharmacuticals outpace Oil companies also.

Of course they do. Oil companies are very average in terms of percentage profits. It's just that they are so large that the leftists can demagogue the size in terms of dollars rather than paying attention to percentages.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »
The next time somebody complains about "big oil", tell them that Exxon makes 2 cents profit on a gallon of gas, while the US gets 48.5 cents in taxes.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »
If Apple is more "valuable" than Exxon, then we need to get a serious cluebat to the head as to the meaning of the term "value." :facepalm:

At best, Apple represents a toy maker for post-pubescent children.

At worst, Apple represents corporate degeneracy at the worst level.  The failure of a product within a capitalist framework which then runs to the Nanny-State for protection from a market that doesn't want it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »
If Apple is more "valuable" than Exxon, then we need to get a serious cluebat to the head as to the meaning of the term "value." :facepalm:

Agree completely.

At worst, Apple represents corporate degeneracy at the worst level.  The failure of a product within a capitalist framework which then runs to the Nanny-State for protection from a market that doesn't want it.
???  Are you still talking about Apple, or Chrysler?
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »
Agree completely.
???  Are you still talking about Apple, or Chrysler?

Both, I guess... but mostly Apple.  Chrysler/GM is more about union sabotage of a company, not one company attempting to damage another (or derive meaningful existence) purely through governmental influence or compulsion.

Apple back in the 90's ran to Uncle Sugar to sue Microsoft for monopoly.  Never mind the fact they had a crappy OS that no one in their right mind actually wanted (until they threw their kernel away completely and borrowed BSD from the Unix community... but that's post anti-trust).  Microsoft actually had to GIVE Apple money every year and keep them afloat as "competition."  Corporate welfare at its worst.

And what  I mean by this... is show me a cost-efficient, clustered, easily managed, standards-compliant, redundant-hardware datacenter... with an Apple logo on it.

Even with BSD under the hood, Apple isn't a contender in the Information Systems market.

Apple now exists solely because of the iPod, iPhone and iPad.  All other business units are secondary at best.

Compare that to the exploratory, drilling, recovery, refining, transport and distribution systems of Exxon.  If either one of these companies suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth, with all staff/capital equipment/infrastructure... which would hurt us more?

<crickets chirping>

Anyone who thinks Apple is more valuable than Exxon needs a brain-enema.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:56:14 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 11:05:02 PM »
But, but, but, but, Steve Jobs is the Second Coming.  He is pure and divine and good.  Apple is the Good Witch, while MicroSoft and Bill Gates are the devil incarnate.

Apple is green technology and health foods and cha all rolled into one.

[barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]

Sorry, I couldn't do anymore.

And remember that "Value" is not what you or I think it's worth.  It is: exactly what some other sap will pay for it and not a penny more. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 07:02:45 AM »
And what  I mean by this... is show me a cost-efficient, clustered, easily managed, standards-compliant, redundant-hardware datacenter... with an Apple logo on it.
That's not their market and I don't think they've ever tried to compete in that market.  That doesn't devalue their product.  Until about 10 years ago, you didn't see Dell in a datacenter, now they're quite common (my company bases its products on Dell servers and has thousands of them at customer sites worldwide).  Hell, until less than 10 years ago, you didn't often see Linux in the datacenter. 

Even with BSD under the hood, Apple isn't a contender in the Information Systems market.
I could be wrong, but I don't think they've tried, so the point is null.  I will point out that the security operations center at my last job standardized on OSX because it supported our project's standard catalog of applications and was immune to viruses, malware, and other threats the Windows-based systems weren't.  The idea was if something nasty got on the network, they wouldn't be affected as they worked to isolate the problem.

Apple now exists solely because of the iPod, iPhone and iPad.  All other business units are secondary at best.
That does seem to be their niche, they would be insane to ignore it.  Frankly, if their laptop/desktop operations are taking resources that would enable them to expand on the tablet/handheld side, they would be insane to maintain it. 

Compare that to the exploratory, drilling, recovery, refining, transport and distribution systems of Exxon.  If either one of these companies suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth, with all staff/capital equipment/infrastructure... which would hurt us more?

;/

This isn't about strategic value, but market value.  Exxon's market is more mature and has less growth opportunities within the US.  Apple's market is still growing as tablet/handheld computing becomes more and more viable and in demand. 

Anyone who thinks Apple is more valuable than Exxon needs a brain-enema.
From a financial perspective, it appears they are.

Chris

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »
We don't have to rip Apple to praise Exxon, now do we?  We should be proud of both. 

Apple has empowered a lot of people, a lot of businesses, and changed the world.

It's too bad that so many Silicon Valley plutocratic geeks lean so left.  You'd think they'd know better.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 07:51:52 PM »
We don't have to rip Apple to praise Exxon, now do we?  We should be proud of both. 

I didn't start the thread to rip Apple - I was wondering if certain politicians would now stop ripping Exxon. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 08:22:37 PM »
I don't know what the current stats are, but Apple's time at the top was short-lived. Last I heard, Exxon is back in the #1 spot.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/12/BUDM1KMH42.DTL
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife