Author Topic: God and the Democrats  (Read 5179 times)

grampster

• friend
God and the Democrats
« on: September 05, 2012, 06:12:11 PM »
So the D's pull any reference to God out of their platform.  Huge backlash occurs.  D's put God back into the platform and the moderator has to call for a vote THREE times because the noise of all the boos at putting a reference to God back into the platform.

You can't make this stuff up. ;/
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SADShooter

• friend
Re: God and the Democrats
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 06:18:21 PM »
Amusing to watch naked manipulation. Perhaps even more critical, though, was the removal and subsequent replacement of the plank affirming Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. I wonder what the implications will be on contributions to the DNC from Jewish and pro-Israel donors, when they are already lagging in fundraising.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »
Saw the video in a link at Drudge.  :facepalm:    Especially noted the antics of the Arab Democrats during the vote.

Usually it's the GOP that self-destructs this way . . . hope the Romney campaign can make good use of Democrats booing God. (And if the Dems say the boos were only for the procedure . . . well, the fact that they have to make an explanation anyway will be just as damaging.  =D =D =D )

But why would anyone find the absence of God in the Democrat's platform surprising?

Whether you like her commentary or not, Ann Coulter did write a book addressing this . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:27:24 PM »
Obama is a canny and cynical enough politician to realize the Dem platform was a cultural death wish.

But, frankly, a lot of American Jews and evangelicals and RCs will STILL vote for him.  This isn't rational what we are dealing with, it's mass psychosis.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 10:06:38 AM »
This is one of those times where you just sit back and let the Democrats run their mouths. First the exclusion of God and Israel verbiage pissed off X number of people, then it's inclusion pissed off 2/3rds of the people in the "voice vote". Now everyone's angry. Perfect job there.  :rofl:

As a conservative/libertarian who's about 95% Atheist, 5% Deist, I'm not offended by having "God" mentioned in the Pledge, on our money, or in a party platform. Even if I don't believe, I'm still more than willing to acknowledge the concept of God as a handy place-marker for our common Judeo Christian cultural roots, Western Civ, and as shorthand for a basic set of ethics.

DNC is a bunch of clowns that has no clue. They're lost with out a smooth talker like Clinton, or Obama with his teleprompter. And now that it's sinking in that without the teleprompter that our POTUS is Jimmy Carter's second term... they're in panic mode. Trying to appease their base, and giving lip service to the middle that's flat out a pack of lies all at the same time.

The "enthusiasm gap" just grew another percentage point IMO.  =)
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »
Having watched it last night, I have to say that President Clinton can still give one heck of a speech.  If the Democrats are smart, they will ask Bill to be on the campaign trail making similar speeches.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »
I'll need to watch that thing again, but the way I read the last big boo was as a protest against the chair calling it passed on voice vote.  I couldn't call it, from the level of sound I was hearing.

Isn't that how we got the Hughes Amendment?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »
I'm not disgusted by the booing.  I'm disgusted by the establishment yet again ignoring the will of the delegates and changing policy to fit the political whims of our "betters".  The curtain has been pulled back but everyone is arguing about the patterns on the curtain.   :facepalm:
*expletive deleted*ing doomed.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:45:14 AM »
I'll need to watch that thing again, but the way I read the last big boo was as a protest against the chair calling it passed on voice vote.  I couldn't call it, from the level of sound I was hearing.

Isn't that how we got the Hughes Amendment?

That's exactly what happend.  The ayes and nays were audibly tied, with maybe possibly the nays being higher.
Booing came after they said screw you we're doing it anyway.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 11:50:22 AM »
I'm not disgusted by the booing.  I'm disgusted by the establishment yet again ignoring the will of the delegates and changing policy to fit the political whims of our "betters".  The curtain has been pulled back but everyone is arguing about the patterns on the curtain.   :facepalm:
*expletive deleted* doomed.
Romney is also ignoring the will of the delegates.
GOP platform is against abortion, with no exceptions.
Romney believes in exceptions for rape and incest.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 11:55:17 AM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/09/06/160668087/what-the-democrats-do-over-really-says-about-party-platforms?ft=1&f=1001

Interesting article about how the party platforms are essentially a vehicle for ideologues to express themselves, but they serve little purpose beyond that.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »
Romney is also ignoring the will of the delegates.
GOP platform is against abortion, with no exceptions.
Romney believes in exceptions for rape and incest.

So what do you do if you agree with Romney and not the GOP platform? 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/09/06/160668087/what-the-democrats-do-over-really-says-about-party-platforms?ft=1&f=1001

Interesting article about how the party platforms are essentially a vehicle for ideologues to express themselves, but they serve little purpose beyond that.

Again its not about the actual platform.  It could have been a vote on adopting the flying spagetti monster as the offical god of our nation.
Its about the process, and the subversion of the process by the elites. 
They DO NOT want to turn this election into a godless democrats vs pious republicans election.  As in 2006, the evangelical base will come out in droves if that happens.
No, the elites cannot afford that.  So, when it came time to dictate the terms of the platform, the will of the delegates was subverted for the good of the party.
Both parties are run for "the good of the party".  Party comes first.
Party before god.
Party before country.
Party before fiscal sanity.
Party before the people.

Do we get it now?
The political party will be the death of the republic.
JD

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »
So what do you do if you agree with Romney and not the GOP platform? 

You stop agreeing with him, because Romney's position is just heartless and sick.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 02:11:08 PM »
Do we get it now?

The party leaders (both D and R) don't care; death of the republic works out well for them, as long as they retain power.
"It's good, though..."

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 02:18:47 PM »
Again its not about the actual platform.  It could have been a vote on adopting the flying spagetti monster as the offical god of our nation.
Its about the process, and the subversion of the process by the elites. 
They DO NOT want to turn this election into a godless democrats vs pious republicans election.  As in 2006, the evangelical base will come out in droves if that happens.
No, the elites cannot afford that.  So, when it came time to dictate the terms of the platform, the will of the delegates was subverted for the good of the party.
Both parties are run for "the good of the party".  Party comes first.
Party before god.
Party before country.
Party before fiscal sanity.
Party before the people.

Do we get it now?

Quoted for truth. I went to my local precinct caucus early this spring. I agreed to be a delegate at the County level but at the county convention, declined at the state level, as I was unable to attend.

I'm on the local GOP email list, though, so got every request for help, money, whatever. I asked to be removed from the list but was taken to task by the local chairman. Because I was a delegate, I had agreed to support the Party financially and by assisting at parades, fairs, meetings, etc. I then stated that  I was no longer a delegate adn would NOT support the party; I supported candidates. Period. I asked for a document I could sign, resigning my position. I didn't get it but haven't received any more emails, either.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
You stop agreeing with him, because Romney's position is just heartless and sick.

Really?  Because when women have been raped, and become pregnant, they should be forced to carry to term?  >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 03:28:22 PM »
Really?  Because when women have been raped, and become pregnant, they should be forced to carry to term?  >:D

Because a child deserves to die for the crime of his father.

How the baby was conceived has no bearing on the rights of the child.

We can lessen the impact of the crime of rape on the victim by killing the rapist's child. We could lessen the impact of the crime of theft by enslaving the thief's children to repay the victim.

Do you find the second instance a horrific injustice? Why not the first?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »

Of course they should be forced to carry to term. Every pregnant woman should. We shouldn't allow people to kill innocent children. How can you endorse that?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
Some situations are so dang hard to make a one size fit all, eh?  Who gets to decide who is more important?  Is the violated mother more important or the innocent child more important?  If it is the woman? then who speaks for the child?  Does some disinterested 3rd party decide?  A judge?  An elected politician?  Should it be the state or the federal government?  The argument that a woman is in charge of her own body it destroyed by the reality that she cannot walk into a hospital and demand that a limb be removed because that is "her choice".  Abortion on demand means that a human baby is being treated as a lesser construct than a limb.

I don't think there is an answer to the question, unequivicably.  On one side is the Humanist who says it's the mother.  On another there is a Religionist who stands with the child.  On another there is Somebody who can't decide.  On another there is a Religionist/Humanist that qualifies the decision based on certain factors which may vary from Religionist/Humanist to another.  On another Some say "I don't care, non issue".  On another and another and another.....

Can it be said that rape is a 9 month long crime?   If so, should then society provide an absolute top of the line care for the mother and child till it's decided if the mother bonds with the child or places the child with loving other parents?  What of the rapist?  If the mother and child prosper because of a society that believes she should under the circumstances, should not the rapist be deprived of freedom forever because he has violated her, the child and society as an opposite?  If the child is aborted, then should not the rapist be deprived of his life as well by being executed within 9 months of the abortion?

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »
This thread is now doomed
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »
I don't think there is an answer to the question, unequivicably.  On one side is the Humanist who says it's the mother.  On another there is a Religionist who stands with the child.  On another there is Somebody who can't decide.  On another there is a Religionist/Humanist that qualifies the decision based on certain factors which may vary from Religionist/Humanist to another.  On another Some say "I don't care, non issue".  On another and another and another.....

There's nothing humanist about allowing children to be murdered.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 03:49:15 PM »
Can it be said that rape is a 9 month long crime?   If so, should then society provide an absolute top of the line care for the mother and child till it's decided if the mother bonds with the child or places the child with loving other parents?

Absolutely.  But how many rapes actually result in pregnancy?  Not many, I believe, so the cost to society would not be that large.  The biggest problem is that doing this would remove the smokescreen for late-term abortions performed for the "health" of the mother ("Having a baby makes me sad", or "I don't want to get stretch marks" equals health)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »
This thread is now doomed

I guess so. But how long will we tolerate people saying hateful things like "rapists' kids should be put to death," and not respond to it? If someone was making racist comments, that would derail the thread. Same thing.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 03:53:27 PM »
There's nothing humanist about allowing children to be murdered.

Who takes care of the "mother" while she is pregnant?  Pregnancy, even with insurance, is expensive.  Complications more so.  Pregnancy, even today, can be fatal to the mother and child.  Who pays for this?  The rapist, who may not have anything?  The mother who's only crime was being raped?  You and I?  What about after the birth?  Who cares for the child, pays for the expenses of their life until they become and adult?  What if nobody will adopt this child?  What is the childbirth causes lifelong complications for the mother?  Do we force "mom" to shoulder the burden because she had the temerity to be a rape victim?   

Chris