Author Topic: Planet Fitness Transgender  (Read 5193 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Planet Fitness Transgender
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »
While they're a private business, and can do what they like, this would be a good reason for me to not give them my business.

One of their locations apparently made accommodations for a male who "identifies" as a woman to use the women's locker room. I don't blame the transgender person at all here, based on the story, as they asked first and didn't apparently make any kind of big deal about it. The Planet Fitness rep said, "You use the locker room that corresponds with how you are dressed,".

I just don't know what Planet Fitness was thinking. Why would you, as a for-profit business, choose to make a hundred people very uncomfortable, or given that it's a male in the women's locker room, perhaps even frightened, to accommodate that one person on this kind of an issue?

If they want to be accommodating, shouldn't they then do something like add a third "unisex" locker room, and make it available to anyone of any persuasion that wants to use it?

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2015/03/transgender_woman_says_she_onl.html#incart_story_package
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Planet Fitness Transgender
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 02:41:46 PM »
Is she a member of a protected class?

How come the gym went back on it's decision?

Sklodowska said she asked about the locker room policy regarding transgender individuals before entering the women's locker room.

"You use the locker room that corresponds with how you are dressed," she said the Planet Fitness employee told her.

Or did that employee discove they were not authorized to make that sort of decision?

Cormier has said the transgender woman she saw in the locker room "looked like a man" and was wearing men's clothing.

According to Sklodowska, she wore leggings and a baggy t-shirt during both trips to the gym. She said many people tell her she looks like a man, and she could see why Cormier would see her body structure as masculine.

"It's obvious, even from the back," Sklodowska said.

To me it's not so much the clothing and general body shape as it is the manner of dress and how one carries oneself.  Bruce Jenner, as an example, is still pretty much carrying himself like a man, and dresses more like a man than a woman.  This in no way should be read as suggesting she needs to dress/carry herself like a drag queen.  I'm thinking more like Dr. Marci Bowers http://www.metro.us/news/photos-12-famous-transgender-celebrities-and-public-figures/tmWnet---0dM9nzhttuSE/ than any of the rest of those listed.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
My first thought to wonder is if the business is subject to 'non-discrimination' laws or regulations that include gender identity; and failure to accommodate that is a violation of those same laws and regulations.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 03:21:48 PM »
My first thought to wonder is if the business is subject to 'non-discrimination' laws or regulations that include gender identity; and failure to accommodate that is a violation of those same laws and regulations.

Which to me, would call the application of those laws into question. If they want to have the laws, fine, that's a separate debate. They should, however, be applied with some common sense. I'm not sure that any of the parents here would be happy if a naked man was hanging out in the same locker room as their 12-year old daughter, whether that man believed he was a woman at heart or not. Not that there was any nudity in the incident in the OP, but that nudity will happen seems to be a foregone conclusion to a non-discrimination law applied in this manner.

Certainly after surgery, it would all be moot, but beforehand, as long as all the parts are physically still there, it's simply not appropriate in current society.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
I'm going to forward this to a friend of mine that had problems canceling his planet fitness membership.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

castle key

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:54:16 PM »
While they're a private business, and can do what they like...

Except for bakeries, florists, and wedding photographers......
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 05:16:06 PM »
We have that problem at the local college. Male in ladies locker room at same time with local high school swim team. It's a problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 07:11:33 PM »
I'm going to forward this to a friend of mine that had problems canceling his planet fitness membership.
Setting off the Lunk Alarm repeatedly might do the trick.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 07:34:40 PM »
There's a Crossfit joke in here somewhere, gotta be.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 07:51:15 PM »
I'm surprised more high school boys don't try the transgender shtick so they can gain access to the girls locker room.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:01:47 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 10:50:48 PM »
If they want to be accommodating, shouldn't they then do something like add a third "unisex" locker room, and make it available to anyone of any persuasion that wants to use it?

I agree with you up to this point, but on this I think you're short one locker room. Wouldn't they need one for men who think they're men, one for women who think they're women, one for men who think they're women, and a fourth for women who think they're men? (A la Chaz -- formerly Chastity -- Bono.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 02:17:00 AM »
Unisex restroom/changing room.  Private floor to ceiling stalls.  Eliminate urinals.  Sinks can be shared space. 
Having lockable private shower rooms would eliminate the issue there, too.
It's not a hard problem to solve, if the business wants to invest in solving it.

My real issue is when people are told they will accommodate group x, y, or z or face court or government sanctions.  Freedom of association should be one of the most basic tenants of freedom.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 03:22:06 AM »
Not sure why the majority of sane folk ought to indulge the irrational demands of the mentally ill.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 05:05:12 AM »
Not sure why the majority of sane folk ought to be forced to indulge the irrational demands of the mentally ill.

FTFY.

The real issue is coercion and force.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »
DSM-IV mentally ill or bat**it crazy mentally ill?

And remember that we are dealing with a doubly-protected class - sex and disbility.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »
The ex- went through something like this when she was working in the office for UHC.  There was a "male" who identified as "female".  He was going through the hormone treatment but still had Mr Winky.

So in order for his/her/its feelz not to be offended the other 60-70 women in the office had to have their feelz made very uncomfortable by having he/she/it, share their bathroom.

And nothing could be done, because of both UHC policy, and the (then) newly signed by Gov Quinn(D-eranged) law regarding same sex marriage, et al.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 09:54:22 AM »
Not sure why the majority of sane folk ought to indulge the irrational demands of the mentally ill.

That. 

Wikipedia, he say:

A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.[1] As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »
I think I'll just stick with Anytime Fitness and their private shower rooms.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 12:58:03 PM »
The ex- went through something like this when she was working in the office for UHC.  There was a "male" who identified as "female".  He was going through the hormone treatment but still had Mr Winky.

So in order for his/her/its feelz not to be offended the other 60-70 women in the office had to have their feelz made very uncomfortable by having he/she/it, share their bathroom.

And nothing could be done, because of both UHC policy, and the (then) newly signed by Gov Quinn(D-eranged) law regarding same sex marriage, et al.

We had a similar situation at one of my hospitals involving a member of the nursing staff who was in transition.  There was some initial wailing and gnashing of teeth and some union complaints, but it settled down quickly.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »
While they're a private business, and can do what they like, this would be a good reason for me to not give them my business.

One of their locations apparently made accommodations for a male who "identifies" as a woman to use the women's locker room. I don't blame the transgender person at all here, based on the story, as they asked first and didn't apparently make any kind of big deal about it. The Planet Fitness rep said, "You use the locker room that corresponds with how you are dressed,".

I just don't know what Planet Fitness was thinking. Why would you, as a for-profit business, choose to make a hundred people very uncomfortable, or given that it's a male in the women's locker room, perhaps even frightened, to accommodate that one person on this kind of an issue?

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2015/03/transgender_woman_says_she_onl.html#incart_story_package

Afraid of getting sued like a baker/florist/photographer who refuses to work a gay wedding?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »
We spend far too much time and effort trying to accommodate the feelings of the lunatic fringe.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »
I wish I could find the cartoon of the person who is talking to their counselor saying things like "I identify as a cisnormative male when i first wake up the morning, but by the time I go to work I identify as a transexual polyamourous lesbian, then...on and on and on... finally in the the second to last panel the the counselor says "Pull down your pants".  The last panel shows a "rear view" of said confused individual with her pants down and the counselor stating "You are a Woman."

;/ ;/ ;/ :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 08:14:19 PM »
We spend far too much time and effort trying to accommodate the feelings of the lunatic fringe.

We spend far too much time and effort trying to accommodate EVERYBODY'S feelings. We don't need to treat everybody like a special snowflake. It would end a lot of "Look at me! I'm special because of <insert claimed BS here>" type bullshit.

Harden the *expletive deleted*ck up, America.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:17:37 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
We spend far too much time and effort trying to accommodate EVERYBODY'S feelings. We don't need to treat everybody like a special snowflake. It would end a lot of "Look at me! I'm special because of <insert claimed BS here>" type bullshit.

Harden the *expletive deleted*ck up, America.

Someone need's to change your handle to "Chopper".... :lol:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 08:58:46 PM »
Someone need's to change your handle to "Chopper".... :lol:

I love the Chopper Reid skits

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!