Author Topic: Times of London embeds reporters with Mahdi Army  (Read 2467 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Times of London embeds reporters with Mahdi Army
« on: May 04, 2008, 03:12:51 AM »
Are we supposed to know how to avoid killing them when we kill the terrorists, or what? Huh?

As the first UK journalist to be embedded with the rebel Mahdi Army, Hala Jaber reports on its terrifying battle...

Beware, the article is a horrific piece of yellow journalism, too.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article3868043.ece

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Times of London embeds reporters with Mahdi Army
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 04:48:49 AM »
The journalists that are embedded with US troops may receive a little special attention from the troops, but I'd bet that they don't receive any special favors from the Taliban, et. al.  I'd bet the UK writer will get less protection with the Mahdi.

Of course, if the writer is killed by US forces, there will be a huge uproar of protest against our indiscriminate slaughter.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »
Finally the reporters are on the CORRECT end of incoming fire... grin  Can we sign Geraldo up for that little foray as well??

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 07:24:16 AM »
the mahdi army is the group of assbags that was chewing me up and trying to destroy me. That article makes them sound like heroes.

I sincerely hope, and i'm not being melodramatic, that THAT particular reporter meets his doom. I care little how. I'd do it myself if i could.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 01:51:08 PM »
I reckon the odds of that are pretty good, James. Rest well.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

SomeKid

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 05:06:06 PM »
inappropriate

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 08:12:47 PM »
inappropriate

That's about as despicable a comment as is possible to make on this thread, I imagine.  But I could be proven wrong.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 08:14:29 PM »
inappropriate

I'm a bisexual and I take great offense for being compared to that failure of a human being.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »
inappropriate

That's about as despicable a comment as is possible to make on this thread, I imagine.  But I could be proven wrong.

Yes, it was in poor taste.

But your choice in what you choose to be offended at is noted as well. As per usual.

Glorifying the Mahdi Army? *silence*

Tasteless comment about Muslims? *jump into fray*

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 08:17:56 PM »
inappropriate

Yes, it was in poor taste.

But your choice in what you choose to be offended at is noted as well. As per usual.

There's a difference between sternly disagreeing with the politics she has, which is what you seem to be doing, and going straight to gay bashing and misogyny to make the point, which is what that post does. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 08:19:08 PM »

It had nothing to do with Muslims and all to do with useless gay-bashing.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 08:24:50 PM »

It had nothing to do with Muslims and all to do with useless gay-bashing.

And degrading women-it was disgusting all around. 

SomeKid

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »
Actually, you guys totally missed my point.

It had nothing to do with gay bashing. I am amazed that nobody got the joke I was making about Muslim extremists.

I went back and re-read it. Where is the female degradation?

The immediate desire to have some of your liberal sensibilities offended is astounding to me.

ETA: I think Maned might have caught the joke.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 08:29:58 PM »
Actually, you guys totally missed my point.

It had nothing to do with gay bashing. I am amazed that nobody got the joke I was making about Muslim extremists.

I went back and re-read it. Where is the female degradation?

The immediate desire to have some of your liberal sensibilities offended is astounding to me.

ETA: I think Maned might have caught the joke.

If you can't see how relating a woman's work to felatio and then tying being gay into the picture is female degradation and gay bashing, I'm not sure what could make it clear.

I guess it's similar to how you can't understand that repeatedly calling me a terrorist isn't polite-but I guess that's just "liberal sensibilities" too.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 01:47:34 AM »
Thread's too far gone.  Closed.

Chris