Author Topic: Wrongly Accused Man Set Free after 30 Years in Max Security  (Read 7198 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cases like this get me to embrace the philosphy of, "Rather that 99 guilty men go free than one innocent man is wrongly accused".

Thirty years. People live their lives and retire after thirty years. It doesn't look like he's getting any compensation other than, "Oops, sorry!" either.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/07/chicago-man-who-spent-30-years-behind-bars-leaves-prison-after-murder-case/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Wrongly Accused Man Set Free after 30 Years in Max Security
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »
They didn't give a great deal of info about the original trial and evidence used.  What little they did say made it look like this wasn't one of those "why did they convict him?" cases. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »
Unless they can find some kind of prosecutor misconduct like with holding exculpatory evidence I don't see him getting any relief.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
Cases like this get me to embrace the philosphy of, "Rather that 99 guilty men go free than one innocent man is wrongly accused".

I am of the same belief, although convincing most people it is the right thing to do is pretty tough. The problem is that most people don't think it could ever happen to them.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 11:35:20 PM »
I am of the same belief, although convincing most people it is the right thing to do is pretty tough. The problem is that most people don't think it could ever happen to them.
It is a good ideal, but like everything else, the devil is in the details. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 11:45:59 PM »
It is a good ideal, but like everything else, the devil is in the details. 

Not really.  Government has "unlimited" funds at putting you behind bars.  You don't. 

I'd really like to know why public defenders don't have the same exact budget as the prosecutors.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »
Not really.  Government has "unlimited" funds at putting you behind bars.  You don't. 

I'd really like to know why public defenders don't have the same exact budget as the prosecutors.
Giving any lawyer an unlimited budget for money and people is a mistake. 

And, yes the devil is in the details always.  You can't just say "make it so".  How do you modify the current system and/or court procedures to effect this plan of preventing 100% of "innocent" people from getting jailed?  Do you just want to make sure "reasonable doubt" is actually used or do you want to set the standard higher for convictions? 

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:55:04 AM »
This brings to mind a question I've pondered for some time: How/why did district/prosecuting attorney become an elective or appointive office as a stepping stone to higher elective office, with the result that success measured by conviction rate is the means to career advancement? Many of these wrongful conviction cases seem driven by overzealous prosecutors and police seeking conviction of the obvious or convenient suspect rather than to determine the truth. Honest error seems the exception.

Would the situation improve if that incentive were removed?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »
This brings to mind a question I've pondered for some time: How/why did district/prosecuting attorney become an elective or appointive office as a stepping stone to higher elective office, with the result that success measured by conviction rate is the means to career advancement? Many of these wrongful conviction cases seem driven by overzealous prosecutors and police seeking conviction of the obvious or convenient suspect rather than to determine the truth. Honest error seems the exception.

Would the situation improve if that incentive were removed?

Worse yet, many serious crimes are plead down so that the prosecutor can claim a higher conviction rate, rather then risk a jury not liking their case.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »

And, yes the devil is in the details always.  You can't just say "make it so".  How do you modify the current system and/or court procedures to effect this plan of preventing 100% of "innocent" people from getting jailed?  Do you just want to make sure "reasonable doubt" is actually used or do you want to set the standard higher for convictions? 

They've given us the model. Every time someone is acquitted, you let 99 convicts out of prison.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »
They've given us the model. Every time someone is acquitted, you let 99 convicts out of prison.
=D :laugh:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »

Hold prosecutors to published ethical standards, subject to review. Match prosecutor budgets to public defenders.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
Match prosecutor budgets to public defenders.

the prosecution tries all cases not just the poor folk  or the folks faking poor  that metric would not work
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 12:16:09 AM »

the prosecution tries all cases not just the poor folk  or the folks faking poor  that metric would not work

I'm OK with that.  We should be spending as much or more money (per case) helping poor folks (and the occasional faking poor folks) defend themselves than prosecuting them.
Formerly sumpnz

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »

Doesn't have to be 1:1. But I'd also be fine with public defenders having more funding per case than the prosecution. And it's not hard to fake being poor if you're facing a criminal case. Most people don't have $20k or more in their savings account. If they're upper lower class or anywhere in the middle class, they'll loot their 401k, leverage their house or otherwise financially cripple themselves.

Hence why plea bargains work so well. "We don't care if you're guilty or not. That's a nice house you have there. Be a shame if something happened to it... Why not take 3 months in prison instead of making a fuss?"

Ordinarily, I'm as libertarian as any other rational decent human being that doesn't want to spend government money. However, I'm not an anarchist and believe courts are a legitimate function of government. Nothing wrong with making sure they are kept in check. I also do not believe that the government side should have significant financial advantages when it comes to deciding guilt or innocence.

I'm never happy with increasing government expenditures, but I'm also not happy with government tyranny.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 10:36:23 AM »
As a working defense attorney I am all for more money being thrown my way but at the end of the day the defense can just say Nu-uh.  The prosecution has to prove every single element beyond a reasonable doubt.  Its not so much a matter of being able to match resources, as keeping the other side honest.  If you tip that scale, well, if you expect the defense to do the job of the police and their infrastructure, you will see even further sliding of responsibility, shifting and sharing of blame.  If everyone is to blame, no one is ect.  

There are good reasons the other side has to share every relevant thing.  A mentor of mine whose been a practicing defense attorney for near 40 years has only found it necessary to involve an investigator less than a half dozen times in his career.  Alternate views for 'expert testimony' is another matter.  A well prepped attorney can cross examine and destroy a weak expert... we have books with step by step walk through on how to do it in fact.  

There are high ethical standards for prosecutors.  When it slides, pillory them.  Get new folks in that won't do it and will do their honest best to correct things.  The DA is one of those the buck stops here jobs.  One of their underlings going rogue, that's on them to kick em to the curb.  

:Ned daydreams about a prosecutor getting the boot and the opening in the local DA's office that would bring:

Edit: And a bit more on topic for the OP... I tend to think if you steal a man's life like that, there is moral obligation to at least set him up for the start of a new one.  But hey, a moral response from the government, I won't be holding my breath. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »
Have they sent him a bill yet for the 30 years room and board, since he shouldn't have been there?   :rofl:

"It's good, though..."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 11:29:03 AM »

Ned, I actually have an honest question. What would be the best way to disincentivize blanket plea bargaining?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Ned, I actually have an honest question. What would be the best way to disincentivize blanket plea bargaining?

Not Ned, but I will do a bit of thinking out loud here.

1. Prosecutor is an elected office, high conviction rate is generally seen favorably by the voting public, blanket plea bargaining helps that. So that's an rea to look at.

2. At lower levels it's not the "justice" system, it's the "local .gov revenue generation system." Tying finding people guilty of crimes to there being enough money to pay the salary of the cops, judges, and prosecutors seems like a guarantee for corruption to me.

3. We have so many BS laws that the courts are flooded with more cases than it is physically possible to prosecute. Cutting it back to mala in se crimes would reduce that burden.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 11:38:17 AM »
These can sometimes be tricky.
In years past, overzealous prosecutors did put away people with thin or even manufactured proof- often because they know he perp did the crime or other crimes but they couldn't be proven by hard evidence.

We had an example of this in my state within the last 10 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Avery
The man was found innocent by DNA after spending some 16 years in prison and was released- it was fairly clear that he was railroaded by the prosecution of the time. Within a year of his release, a young photographer who Avery invited to his family's junkyard to take pictures of a car for sale, was raped, murdered, hacked to pieces and burned by Avery.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 09:12:50 PM »
Should the Govt pay your legal bills if you are acquitted?

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 10:06:04 PM »

Law of unintended consequences here.  Gov foots bill, suddenly its a backdoor option for funneling funds to certain groups.  Rather like how the ACLU brings endless fringe cases [ten commandments in a court ect] as a source of funding. 

I think crowd sourcing is the best bet.  Something outrageous happen, hop on the tv and the news, let the public outrage compensate you.  [This works best if you are good looking or otherwise highly sympathetic]

;)

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »

Lower penalties till the punishment fits the crime; increase funding to courts, DA, and Public Defenders. 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »
I think crowd sourcing is the best bet.  Something outrageous happen, hop on the tv and the news, let the public outrage compensate you.  [This works best if you are good looking or otherwise highly sympathetic]

;)

But don't start raising funds until *after* your bail hearing  :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »

Kind of like how if you sue someone and lose, you may have to pay their legal bills?

I like this idea
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage