Author Topic: Comey Hearing - The Superbowl of DC  (Read 7226 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Comey Hearing - The Superbowl of DC
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »
I, for one, think there should be a Federal Bureau of Matter and Anti-Matter.

Just don't bring them together.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
Less than a year into Trump's first term, at least half the country would view that as a coup attempt, reducing our government to banana republic levels. Things could get very ugly.

Yes they will.

Again I'm not a supporter of Trump but try to toss him out based on absolutely nothing and I will get ugly. I don't know how, or what I can do specifically but if some reaction or path seems to hold promise I will go down it.

I've cautioned against violence numerous times on these boards and I don't want there to be violence but these forces of the left won't stop pushing in that direction. I won't start anything but an impeachment under these circumstances, to me, is a coup and can be countered with force.

Now I'm a libertarian and despise the feds generally and want much, much less of them, but that's not happening for a while and in the meantime I'm sure as hell not going to let the left have the reins of government if they take them in such a dirty and underhanded way. 

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2017, 10:37:57 PM »
Comey comes across as a whiner who is trying to portray himself as a choirboy.  I'm ready for him to fade away from public view.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, as I started to hear news about the hearing this afternoon. I'm sick of his whining, and it's about time we, as a nation, left him to enjoy his early retirement.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »
Do we really want to start seeing Presidents kicked out of office for no real reason whenever Congress gets the urge to do so?  Yeah, not a good precedent.

I would assume the Supreme Court would have to weigh in on this too if it got started? There seems to be quite a difference of opinion on what constitutes those impeachable "high crimes and misdemeanors".
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »
I would assume the Supreme Court would have to weigh in on this too if it got started? There seems to be quite a difference of opinion on what constitutes those impeachable "high crimes and misdemeanors".
Why would the SC be able to tell the Congress when they can or can't exercise their impeachment power?  I don't think Congress would have to follow their advice. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 12:42:51 PM »
Why would the SC be able to tell the Congress when they can or can't exercise their impeachment power?  I don't think Congress would have to follow their advice. 

There's interpretation of the constitution involved - if they try to claim that "high crimes and misdemeanors" includes abuse of power or improper conduct or just being a bad president wouldn't it be SC territory to settle that?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 02:13:25 PM »
There's interpretation of the constitution involved - if they try to claim that "high crimes and misdemeanors" includes abuse of power or improper conduct or just being a bad president wouldn't it be SC territory to settle that?

I think it's totally out of the SC's territory.  "High crimes and misdemeanors" means whatever the Senate decides it means.
"It's good, though..."

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
I think it's totally out of the SC's territory.

It seems you're correct, congress is free to impeach on whatever grounds they can come up with.

Judicial Review of Impeachments .--It was long assumed that no judicial review of the impeachment process was possible, that impeachment presents a true ''political question'' case. That assumption was not contested until very recently, when Judges Nixon and Hastings challenged their Senate convictions. But federal courts, setting the stage for Supreme Court consideration, held the challenges to be nonjusticiable, that the Constitution's conferral on the Senate of the ''sole'' power to try impeachments demonstrated a textually demonstrable constitutional commitment of trial procedures to the Senate to decide without court review.
Upon at last reaching the question, the Court has held that a claim to judicial review of an issue arising in an impeachment trial in the Senate presents a nonjusticiable question, a ''political question.'' Supp.6 Specifically, the Court held that a claim that the Senate had not followed the proper meaning of the word ''try'' in the impeachment clause, a special committee being appointed to take testimony and to make a report to the full Senate, complete with a full transcript, on which the Senate acted, could not be reviewed. But the analysis of the Court applies to all impeachment clause questions, thus seemingly putting offlimits to judicial review the whole process.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
The SC was never intended to be the sole arbiter of constitutional interpretation.  Also, the consequences of impeachment are just removal from office, not imprisonment or death. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »
the consequences of impeachment are just removal from office, not imprisonment or death.  

Right. A poor precedent for sure, hardly a coup though. I could see a number of Republicans in congress getting on board if they think a president Pence would be more effective in helping achieve their goals. I don't think they would be wrong in that belief.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 04:33:29 PM »
Hey, I don't think they realized how apt this comparison was.

Lots of hype beforehand for something that turns out to be a complete bust. Describes most superbowls, too.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
I kinda hope they do attempt some sort of coup.

The conflict that's been bubbling under the surface won't get better with age.

better to rip the bandaid off. Leftist revolutions get pretty nasty. the less time they have to prepare, the better
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »
The problem is it won't be that clean an action.

We're risking tossing the whole country onto the third-world dung heap if the fight gets as out-of-hand and destructive as I fear it can.

Goodbye superpower status. Goodbye economic superiority. Goodbye standard of living.

I wouldn't put it past a malevolent foreign power known for long-term planning to be counting on such an outcome or even using it's (really our) money to set the pieces in motion.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »
It's the Daily Mail, but I think it's legit. Comey is looking to walk away from all this with a $10mil book deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4589692/James-Comey-10-million-payday-dish-Hillary-Trump.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailus
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »
It's the Daily Mail, but I think it's legit. Comey is looking to walk away from all this with a $10mil book deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4589692/James-Comey-10-million-payday-dish-Hillary-Trump.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailus

Whoever said crime doesn't pay?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »
Question: Was it obstruction of justice when Trump said he wouldn't prosecute Hillary Clinton?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »
Question: Was it obstruction of justice when Trump said he wouldn't prosecute Hillary Clinton?
Yep- was it obstruction of justice when the Democrats in congress demanded Comey be fired for announcing he was re-opening the Clinton investigation?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »
Yep- was it obstruction of justice when the Democrats in congress demanded Comey be fired for announcing he was re-opening the Clinton investigation?

Of course not, because they are democrats.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2017, 02:54:18 PM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »
So the Jeff Sessions session was - interesting. I mean, it was already enough of a jaw-dropper that Trump, the xenophobic bigot, turned out to be an agent of one of America's historic, foreign rivals. Now we learn that Grand Kliegel Sessions was secretly a commie, as well?  :O

Well you may not know it but this man's a spy
He's an undercover agent for the FBI
And he's been sent down here to infiltrate the Ku Klux Klan...

Well he's a friend of them long-haired hippie type pinko fags
I betcha he's even got a Commie flag
Tacked up on the wall inside of his garage

He's a snake in the grass I tell ya guys
He may look dumb but that's jus a disguise
He's a mastermind in the ways of espionage

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2017, 03:05:39 PM »
I watched the exchanges with both Rod Wyden (Dumbass- Oregon) and Kamala Harris (Dumberass- California).

"Thop thonwalling and tell us you're guilty !!!"

And if I were testifying before the Senate and she started questioning me like I'm on trial, she'd get an asschewing from me.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »
I get that Comey is probably going for the book deal, but I can't really think of anything that, as a private citizen, would get me to waste my time testifying in front of congress.  Both sides are just using you (the witness) as a prop for their grandstanding, and I have no desire to help either parties political masturbation.

Besides, What are they going to do?  Hold you in contempt?