Author Topic: GWAS and the Fatal Conceit: Or Why Your Gay Gene Is No Longer Happy  (Read 6051 times)

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Arguing Both Sides
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 07:09:50 AM »
So comparisons to the rest of the animal kingdom aren't terribly useful.

True enough.

But remember, you're reading the "it's all genes" side of the argument there.

When you add in a non-physical component, the genetic arguments pretty much have to step aside where it comes to motive and inclination.

I can understand if it's hard keeping that poorly written dichotomy straight.

Hell, it was hard enough just writing it.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Iapetus

• friend
Re: Non-Determination
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »
I don't really see what difference it makes if homosexuality is nature or nurture, given that it's a consenting act between adults (and where it isn't, other laws already apply).  So IMO it doesn't matter if they do it by choice, or if they are genetical predisposed to it.  It doesn't affect me (other than ensuring that there will be more women available for me Wink), so I don't see why it should be any of my business, or of the government.  (I suppose the discrimination/hate-crimes laws might therefore need checking, but I don't see any problem as long as the level of protection afforded is no more/less than for any comparable subject).

In contrast (given that the comparison has already been made), pedophilia involves the abuse of someone who cannot consent to the acts involved (not legally, and in almost all cases not at all).  So it is inately harmful to others.  If pedophilia is a choice, it is a wicked one.  If it is genetic, then pedophiles are simply programmed to be abusive, and need to be dealt with on that basis (e.g. by locking them up indefinitely, or else taking more drastic measures).

If it's nurture, then, frankly, it's seriously abusive to "teach" it to children...

something about which they will later be educated and into which they will, with luck, be indoctrinated and inducted...

Who is "teaching" children homosexuality?
Where are children being "indoctrinated" and "inducted" into it?

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: GWAS and the Fatal Conceit: Or Why Your Gay Gene Is No Longer Happy
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 11:01:27 AM »
Homosexuality is not an act. It is a sexual orientation. A person can be gay (i.e. sexually attracted exclusively to males) and never perform a single sex act.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 11:51:27 AM »
Homosexuality is not an act. It is a sexual orientation. A person can be gay (i.e. sexually attracted exclusively to males) and never perform a single sex act.

Kinda like being a marksman without ever firing a rifle?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 11:53:36 AM »

Homo/heterosexuality is not about what you do, it's about what you want to do. In the same way some males are heterosexuals (they lust after women) but they do not necessarily have sex with them (maybe they don't get any, or just choose to restrain their sexual urges for religious or other reasons).

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Iain

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 12:04:55 PM »

More like being a gun nut without ever owning a gun.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »

More like being a gun nut without ever owning a gun.

*bows*