Author Topic: Most Risky Halloween Costume of the Season  (Read 3219 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Most Risky Halloween Costume of the Season
« on: November 01, 2006, 03:27:52 AM »

Plus a thumb in the eye of the anti-Danish rioters.

http://timblair.net/ee/index.php/weblog/mohalloween/
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Dannyboy

• friend
Re: Most Risky Halloween Costume of the Season
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 03:44:19 AM »
Best.Costume.Ever.  That takes a big pair these days.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:55:19 AM »
Thats awesome!

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:58:35 AM »
Not cool.   sad
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 06:11:22 AM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 07:14:11 AM »
I understand the appeal of thumbing one's nose at all the wackos who protested (and violently so) the cartoons.  I understand the desire to stand up and defy the silly PC uproar over them.

But gratuitously insulting a major religious figure just isn't funny.  I would hope that no one would have the bad taste to strap a cross to their back and walk around in a white robe and crown of thorns.  I will return the favor, and not disparagingly impersonate Mohammed, Joseph Smith or Reverend Moon.  Well, maybe Rev. Moon.  Earnest criticism of such people, done with respect for their followers, is an entirely different matter.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 07:17:49 AM »
Many belief systems deserve to be ridiculed and insulted.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 07:32:23 AM »
Absolutely.  I know a girl who believes in all sorts of silly, left-wing nonsense.  I could ridicule her all day, but it would only drive her deeper into the rabbit hole, and all for my amusement.  So while I have no respect for Mohammed's teachings, I won't make fun of him or his followers just for a cheap laugh. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 07:45:39 AM »
I understand the appeal of thumbing one's nose at all the wackos who protested (and violently so) the cartoons.  I understand the desire to stand up and defy the silly PC uproar over them.

But gratuitously insulting a major religious figure just isn't funny.  I would hope that no one would have the bad taste to strap a cross to their back and walk around in a white robe and crown of thorns.  I will return the favor, and not disparagingly impersonate Mohammed, Joseph Smith or Reverend Moon.  Well, maybe Rev. Moon.  Earnest criticism of such people, done with respect for their followers, is an entirely different matter.

I think this might be your best post ever.

-Charby

Uranus is a gas giant.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 07:56:37 AM »
But gratuitously  insulting a major religious figure just isn't funny.
Why not?  People insult Jesus every chance they get.  Water off a duck's back, man.

Greg

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 07:58:36 AM »
I don't have a problem with the costume.  Satire is always in season.

People make mockery and satire of Jesus and Christianity every day.  (Just talk to some liberals...)  Why should Islam be placed on some sort of protected pedestal while other religions aren't?

Besides, this particular costume has more political statement than anything else.

It's long since become impossible to have a meaningful conversation about real issues without the PC crowd crawling up your posterior.  There are real problems in the world right now, problems which require real solutions.  We need to be able to discuss them honestly, openly, and accurately.  This PC tripe is one of the prime reasons we'll never be able to do that.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 08:02:21 AM »
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Good one!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 09:31:12 AM »
Why should Islam be placed on some sort of protected pedestal while other religions aren't?
That is exactly the right question. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 09:42:49 AM »
fistfull, normally I would agree with you 100%.

In this case, not so much.  Folks who riot over cartoons and kill over rumors of desecration of their holy book need to have it rubbed in their face, good & hard.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »
People make mockery and satire of Jesus and Christianity every day.  (Just talk to some liberals...)  Why should Islam be placed on some sort of protected pedestal while other religions aren't?
So, you'd be OK with Jesus carrying a "God Hates Fags" sign? 

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 11:22:22 AM »
more risky:
BOSTON: A US attorney who released information in 2000 about President George W Bush's drunken driving conviction was arrested on Tuesday after he dressed up as al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden and waved a fake gun at traffic.

Police in South Portland, Maine, arrested Thomas Connolly, 49, of Scarborough, Maine, and charged him with criminal threatening. He was released on bail, local officials said.

Lt. Todd Bernard said the police department received calls about a man wearing Middle Eastern garb and a bin Laden mask and carrying fake dynamite standing along an interstate highway. When police arrived, they saw Connolly holding a gun.

"They ordered him to drop the weapon several times and he eventually complied," Bernard said.

It turned out the gun was fake, Bernard said.

In a phone interview, Connolly said he'd been trying to protest a planned change in local tax rules.

"I didn't expect to be arrested," he said. "Obviously I touched a post-9/11 nerve."

Days before the 2000 presidential election, Connolly released information about Bush's 1976 drunken driving conviction.

The Bush campaign said Democratic "dirty tricks" were behind the disclosure that at age 30 Bush had been arrested for drunken driving in Kennebunkport, Maine, pleaded guilty, paid a fine and had his licence suspended for 30 days.

Connolly, a Democrat, ran for governor in Maine in 1998.

South Portland, Maine, is located about 100 miles (161km) northeast of Boston.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 11:40:35 AM »
So, you'd be OK with Jesus carrying a "God Hates Fags" sign? 
Unless I missed all the fanfare Jesus ain't around, sign or no sign.

Would I have a problem with some ingorant ninny dressing up like Jesus and carrying a sign to make a point?  I might not like it, but so what?  I certainly wouldn't claim that the guy had no right to make whatever stupid point he was trying to make.  I'd spend my efforts detailing why he was wrong, not saying he had no right to deliver his message.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 11:48:20 AM »
Yeah, OK.

I want to see the most risque costume.   grin
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 12:54:28 PM »
Would I have a problem with some ingorant ninny dressing up like Jesus and carrying a sign to make a point?  I might not like it, but so what?  I certainly wouldn't claim that the guy had no right to make whatever stupid point he was trying to make.  I'd spend my efforts detailing why he was wrong, not saying he had no right to deliver his message.

I see now that my bold signature line is quite worthless.  Did anyone suggest that jerks don't have a right to wear these costumes?  I'm only saying we should voluntarily refrain from doing it or laughing at it.

fistful's law:  He who defends an imaginary attack on the right to free speech is probably unable to defend the content of that speech.

And, yes, of course I was talking about someone dressed like Jesus. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 01:01:14 PM »
Perhaps I should have been more clear.

I think that cartoon and the costume that duplicates it presents a political message that warrants being told.  I don't see it as an attack on the religion, per se.  I don't see it as inherently wrong.  I think the cacophonous silence from the larger Muslim world denouncing terrorism invalidates any right they have to take offense at this sort of thing.

People have frequently made similar political statements in satire and mockery of Christianity.  Such is the way of modern life.  Don't see how it should be any different for Islam.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 01:54:52 PM »
Perhaps you shouldn't have gone after a straw man.  Sorry, that one just torques me off.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 02:11:34 PM »
I wasn't aware that I had gone after a straw man.  If so, my apologies.

Better yet, let's just forget the entire mess.  It ain't worth arguing about.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 05:30:36 AM »
gratuitously  insulting a major religious figure just isn't funny

In context, that costume is specifically an insult aimed at those who so violently protested those cartoons. It's the equivalent to the T-shirts with a picture of a US flag and the words "Burn this one, ahole!"

I will return the favor, and not disparagingly impersonate Mohammed, Joseph Smith or Reverend Moon.  Well, maybe Rev. Moon.

So it just has to ridiculous enough in your eyes to be a legitimate target for ridicule? What if Islam is ridiculous in someone else's eyes?
D. R. ZINN

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 08:49:47 AM »
Quote from: doczinn
So it just has to ridiculous enough in your eyes to be a legitimate target for ridicule? What if Islam is ridiculous in someone else's eyes?

He got you there, fistful, nice and tight.

Ultimately, this discussion makes me think that nowadays people have expanded the meaning of "religious freedom" to include that anything that makes them uncomfortable ist verboten. My interpretation is that "religious freedom" just means you can worship whatever you want without another religion burning you at the stake or the government throwing you in jail over it. It certainly does not mean you are to be free of ridicule or insult.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 08:57:06 AM »
Quote from: doczinn
It's the equivalent to the T-shirts with a picture of a US flag and the words "Burn this one, ahole!"

Yeah, I never got the flag-burning thing, especially when done by US citizens. What are they saying? They are traitors? They are no longer Americans? Fine, turn in your citizenship, *expletive deleted*che bags, and go live in France. There are billions of people out there for whom US citizenship would be a dream come true. We'd be far better off with fewer leftists and more hard-working legal immigrants.

Lt Radchek: "Something given has no value."