Author Topic: moral dilemma  (Read 3087 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
moral dilemma
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:29:41 PM »
got a guy decent mechanic does side jobs.  comes to my house and does work there. hes going to do 3 u joints on my jeep.  whats that worth?  he lets me price my own work."whatever you think is fair"  i hate that! hes a decent guy too. i know we have some guys who spin wrenches so i welcome their input
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: moral dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
Cost of parts at his supplier (+x% if you want), then an hourly wage ($30 per? $40? Depends on how good he is and how much equipment) for actual time spent. Part money up front, the rest after.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:45:26 PM »
Our corporation reimburses dealers at $70-$75/hr in North America when we pay mechanic's hours (very rare). [this is very confidential information]   :-X
Local auto dealerships quoted $100/hr to me for retail automotive work... I conclude that the local dealerships also account for about $85/hr for the mechanic hours and charges the customer a margin of $15.

The take home pay of a mechanic is not going to equal the above, because companies pay for taxes, benefits, downtime, and overhead. But I bet those numbers scare you enough to change your level of expectations/appreciation.   >:D
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:14:46 PM »
oh i buy parts heck he uses my account for his other jobs. i usually ask him how much and he tells me.  i did him a couple favors and he started pay me what is fair.  i didn't do the favors looking for a payoff so i wanna make sure i don't take advantage.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
I'm an auto mechanic on the side, and I would ask for $80 to do that job.  

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
cool  that sounds good to me too. as much as i don't want to cheat him i've found when helping folks you can over do it. if you go over the top you sometimes stop helping

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:00:50 PM »

Regarding dollar value, what's your location? From C&Sdaddy's standpoint, if you're in rural Alabama he might want to add a few bucks to that number to make it fair...if you're in San Fransisco or New York City he might want to deduct a few bucks.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 11:04:07 PM »
good point   i live in the sticks and was gonna give 100 bucks. i have ruined a few young men by paying too much and thats why i get advice nowadays

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 11:08:35 PM »
I'm guessing those are drive shaft u-joints. Not axle shafts.

I'd hit you for $30.00 each if you drove it to my house. $20.00 if you just carried in the shaft.

Do you have a press, a vise or a hammer and a piece of scrap iron?

You get a little workout but I get the best feel putting the joints back in using a vise.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
   Regarding dollar value, what's your location? From C&Sdaddy's standpoint, if you're in rural Alabama he might want to add a few bucks to that number to make it fair...if you're in San Fransisco or New York City he might want to deduct a few bucks.

I live in Michigan.  For that price I would pick up the parts for you and do the job in your driveway or workplace parking lot, if either one is close.  That convenience should be well worth it.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 11:57:39 PM »
I live in Michigan.  For that price I would pick up the parts for you and do the job in your driveway or workplace parking lot, if either one is close.  That convenience should be well worth it.

You don't live near Muskegon do you? If so I have a few relatives that are potential clients for you.

C@SDaddy, Michigan is probably a pretty good good midpoint regarding cost of living, so his quote is probably pretty close for rural NoVa. If he's in the Upper Peninsula or metro Detroit area it might be a little low or high, but not too far off.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 12:09:01 AM »
i've got a vice  and i just borrowed a press in case he needs it

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 05:18:16 AM »
I'd pay the guy a hundred and provide the parts. Off the books, that equates to $125-130. Problems rate extra.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 06:12:19 AM »
     You don't live near Muskegon do you? If so I have a few relatives that are potential clients for you.

Thanks, but I live in the Detroit area.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 07:24:52 AM »
When I do sidework on cars I charge $50/hr, plus parts.  That number is right at half what retail labor is around here.  That job should run in the $75-$80 range.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 07:41:48 AM »

not sure if you live in a state with lots of rust,  that usually doubles the cost.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 03:36:27 PM »
thanks all  i suck at assigning value and wanted not to screw him. i have same trouble pricing my own work

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »
Call a local repair shop, ask how much labor to do the job.  Cut some off the top since its a cash side job.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 03:50:16 PM »
thanks all  i suck at assigning value and wanted not to screw him. i have same trouble pricing my own work

Same here.  I almost always undercharge people when I do work for them.  I think this is because, to my core, I'm a frugal person.  :lol:

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 03:55:49 PM »
Same here.  I almost always undercharge people when I do work for them.  I think this is because, to my core, I'm a frugal person.  :lol:

Same here. I tried to bid a job to install a hot tub for a guy and had no idea how to try to price it. Ended up dropping the job.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 06:56:52 PM »
i hate finding out when i'm done how much cheaper i was than the other guys bidding

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 06:59:43 PM »
Call a local repair shop, ask how much labor to do the job.  Cut some off the top since its a cash side job.

he works for a local shop and knows what its worth  he used to charge 1/2 the going rate till i said that was too cheap. especially since i started sending him work as well as scrounging a few things for him. he would damn near give me the work if i let him. hence his designation as a real decent guy.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »

I do the same thing.

I just did a job last night that I told them would be around $150.00. When I got done it only came to $140.00. They paid me $150.00 anyway. I guess they thought the fact that I answered a lot of questions for them while I did the repair was worth a little more.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG