Author Topic: So, now yoga is racist  (Read 2313 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
So, now yoga is racist
« on: January 29, 2018, 04:00:21 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/29/americans-who-practice-yoga-contribute-to-white-supremacy-michigan-state-university-professor-claims.html

Shreena Gandhi, a religious studies professor at Michigan State, claims in an article she recently co-authored that Americans who practice yoga are contributing to white supremacy and promote the “yoga industrial complex.”

Seems that white folks doing yoga has Shreena all tied up in knots ...
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: So, now yoga is racist
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »
acknowledge the cultural appropriation they engage in and possibly reduce the cost of yoga classes for poor people, a group that often includes people of color and “recent immigrants, such as Indian women to whom this practice rightfully belongs,” Gandhi argued.

Well, there you go, just trying to guilt people into giving away more (nearly) free stuff to the poor downtrodden masses who just can't afford the high cost of wellness. ;)

I get so confused at times. We are a nation of immigrants and should be embracing the concepts immigrants bring to our society yet when we do there is always some whack job ready to yell "cultural misappropriation".   ???

it's getting to where you need a play book to figure out what is OK and what is not. :(

bob

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 04:31:12 PM »
I think when this professor engages in free speech she is appropriating the culture that rightly belongs to me.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 04:33:10 PM »
They knead to get bent.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 06:57:23 PM »
When white Americans adopt "designated shitting streets", she can get upset about cultural appropriation. 

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 07:51:11 PM »
When white Americans adopt "designated shitting streets", she can get upset about cultural appropriation. 

Chris

I think somebody around here at one time posted a link to "scenes of India",  I guess is as good a term as any. That was as good a definition of "shithole country" as anything. I mean, people were washing up in a river as a dead and bloated human body floated by. I'm happy to not culturally appropriate crap like that. Holy hell.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »
I suspect the fas have planted agents in the antifas community to come up with stuff like that just to make the antifas look ridiculous.

Just a suspicion.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 08:45:26 PM »
I suspect the fas have planted agents in the antifas community to come up with stuff like that just to make the antifas look ridiculous.

Just a suspicion.

Terry

That would be pretty much a waste of effort. They manage to look stupid all by themselves.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »
Well, she better get mad at the Sikhs and the Buddhists, who also appropriated yoga from the Hindus.

*snort* I would also suggest she take a closer *expletive deleted*ing look at the religious traditions and history of her own people before getting snotty about white people doing yoga. Of all people, Indians have absolutely NOOOOO room to talk about abusing the lower classes.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »
Does that mean foreigners who come here to work are appropriating American culture and jobs?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 09:14:35 PM »
My coworker said his daughter-in-law teaches yoga classes.  I was shocked at how much she charged per person and that people would pay that much.  Do you really need to take classes on this?  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 09:16:21 PM »
On the other hand, please keep this type of stuff going.  I think it the cultural desensitization of the word "racist" is long overdue. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 04:35:19 AM »
My coworker said his daughter-in-law teaches yoga classes.  I was shocked at how much she charged per person and that people would pay that much.  Do you really need to take classes on this?  

Depends on motivation, personal talent, and reason.

For some, yoga is a way to get put of the house and socialize with others.

Also, having somebody there to encourage you and correct forms is good as well.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 05:16:38 AM »
I'm not much of a socializer, but I uses several different yoga DVD's to make sure my form is correct, and I don't hurt what's left of my joints.

There was money spent there.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 08:14:53 AM »
For some, yoga is a way to get put of the house and socialize with others.

That's what beer and sailing is for.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »
I'm not much of a socializer, but I uses several different yoga DVD's to make sure my form is correct, and I don't hurt what's left of my joints.

That's exactly what I did when I learned. Outside of the "socializing" aspect, proper yoga technique can be pretty easily picked up off DVDs as long as you make an effort to pay attention to form.

Besides, back when I started up, I was still in Santa Barbara. You can imagine the social makeup of yoga classes there. Even seeing hot women in yoga apparel can only go so far.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »
Well, she better get mad at the Sikhs and the Buddhists, who also appropriated yoga from the Hindus.

She also needs to do her homework. Americans (and westerners in general) didn't exactly appropriate yoga -- Indian practitioners exported it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 10:56:29 AM »
She also needs to do her homework. Americans (and westerners in general) didn't exactly appropriate yoga -- Indian practitioners exported it.

It's like the "appropriating of Mexican food."

I'm fairly certain that many Mexican (or Mexican-descended) proprietors of Mexican restaurants will be very angry if white people stop "appropriating" Mexican food. Not to mention the servers, bus-boys, bartenders, etc....

These people are nuts.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 12:14:46 PM »

The number I heard was North of $100 per person per session.  I doubt those DVD's cost that much. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 12:16:22 PM »
I utterly reject the modern leftist goal of racial and ethnic segregation.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
I'm fairly certain that many Mexican (or Mexican-descended) proprietors of Mexican restaurants will be very angry if white people stop "appropriating" Mexican food. Not to mention the servers, bus-boys, bartenders, etc...

Same with Chinese food.  Yes, US "chinese" isn't very chinese, but it was generally the Chinese people themselves adjusting their recipes to match with ingredient availability here in the USA as well as matching up with our palate better.

Kind of like how Chicago deep dish pizza is different than NY style pizza, which is a little different than Italian pizza.

Quote from: cordex

Agreed.  I keep hoping the minorities will wake up to this fact some day.  Of course, I keep hoping that the right wingers would be a little more inclusive - we need all the people we can get, even if they aren't 100% ideologically pure.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 04:41:52 PM »
{snip}
it's getting to where you need a play book to figure out what is OK and what is not. :(

bob

Easy-peasy:  Everything not banned is mandatory....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 08:08:04 AM »

Quote from: cordex

Agreed.  I keep hoping the minorities will wake up to this fact some day.  Of course, I keep hoping that the right wingers would be a little more inclusive - we need all the people we can get, even if they aren't 100% ideologically pure.

Wow.  cordex, you nailed that. They want segregation versus integration depending on what suits the overall agenda of the moment.  Very insightful.

And Firethorn's comment about being more inclusive was especially on target.  Internecine squabbles only dilute our efforts to bring things back to reality.  The Leftists have us beat on that account.  Basically, they're all of one antlike <ahem> "mind," sniffing along the DNC's line of pheromones.

Terry
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:23:11 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
So now yoga classes are bad because of cultural appropriation?  :facepalm:

Interesting how some of those who decry "cultural appropriation" are themselves the product of cultures that have no historical tradition of using things like aspirin, shoes, pants, automobiles, airplanes, electricity, modern dentistry, soap, indoor plumbing, telephones, window glass, or toilet paper.

And they get mighty upset  =D when you point that out when they denounce things like white women wearing hoop earrings. (Which were worn in ancient Rome 2000 years ago, and by the Sumerians 4,600 years ago.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain