Author Topic: ESPN -- Are they still around?  (Read 570 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
ESPN -- Are they still around?
« on: January 30, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »
Apparently they are: http://freebeacon.com/culture/espn-host-notre-dames-fighting-irish-mascot-offensive-needs-change/

The real question is, why don't they stick to reporting sports, and stay out of polyticks? First Max Kellerman appropriated outrage over Native American team mascots, now he's going after Notre Dame's "Fighting Irish" nickname. How's this for hubris?

He continued to argue that ethnic mascots should be changed "even if it is a minority of the group that is offended," and said that rule also should apply to the University of Notre Dame, whose athletic teams are known as the Fighting Irish.

"Many Irish-Americans are not offended, but many are. And should that also change? The answer is yes, unequivocally yes," Kellerman said, as his guest Will Cain groaned and facepalmed.

So let's get this straight: Irish-Americans, as a group, are a minority of the overall population of the United States. So if even a minority portion of a minority might be offended, according to Kellerman "unequivocally" the mascot should be changed. I dunno, but I don't think a minority of a minority generally results in "unequivocal" anything.

Quote from: Merriam-Webster
Definition of unequivocal

1 : leaving no doubt : clear, unambiguous
2 : unquestionable

This mode of "thinking" comes direct from the same line of "thinking" that brings us the "If it saves one child ..." line of gun control arguments. I'm so glad I don't have television any more. Aren't ESPN's ratings going down? If so, I wonder if they have any clue as to why.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: ESPN -- Are they still around?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 09:31:53 PM »
Yeah, they've been consistently awful for awhile now and it pleases me no end to know that they're hurting financially.

But they will linger on for a while yet.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: ESPN -- Are they still around?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:40:23 PM »
But doesn't everyone want to know how they covered the State of the Union Address?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge