Author Topic: Train carrying lawmakers to GOP retreat involved in accident  (Read 2152 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Train carrying lawmakers to GOP retreat involved in accident
« on: January 31, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »
A train carrying members of Congress to a Republican retreat in West Virginia slammed into a dump truck on Wednesday, throwing lawmakers from their seats and leaving at least one person dead, officials said.

They hit a dump truck that was apparently stuck on the tracks.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/31/train-carrying-lawmakers-to-gop-retreat-involved-in-accident.html

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Unisaw

• friend
Re: Train carrying lawmakers to GOP retreat involved in accident
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »
I used to live just a couple of miles east of that RR crossing and crossed that track daily, so my ears perked up this morning when Fox mentioned "Crozette" (sic).  Glad it wasn't worse.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 02:06:18 PM »
The train hit a garbage truck and killed one of the three people in the truck.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 03:01:40 PM »
It was all over the noon news.

Even my normally very reasonable boss is pulling out the tin foil on this one.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 06:32:24 PM »
Trains hitting vehicles on the track happens pretty often.  It seems people get stupid in that situation.  One of the main problems is that often the tracks are raised above the street level enough that some vehicles can get high centered.

I'm not clear on how thoroughly the intersection was regulated (signs, flashing lights, barricades, whatever), but another reason is a long vehicle getting stopped by the barricade on the other side of the tracks after trying to make it through.

If you video-search for train car collisions, there are bunches of them in real time from surveillance cams and phone cams.

Small sample --high centering, volume warning:
https://youtu.be/86o6p0Bton4

Terry

REF:
https://www.minnesotasafetycouncil.org/OL/stop.cfm
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:05:12 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 06:57:42 PM »
 [tinfoil]
There is no such thing as a coincidence
 [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 08:02:38 PM »
 I was at work six miles west, of course I know less than you guys, just limited radio reports. I wonder if it was the super moon, traffic was a real goat rodeo all over, I had to divert on the way home to BFE for another one bad enough to close the whole road.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:40:12 PM »
Trains hitting vehicles on the track happens pretty often.  It seems people get stupid in that situation.  One of the main problems is that often the tracks are raised above the street level enough that some vehicles can get high centered.

But if a dump truck can get high-centered on it, you have a problem.

The stretch limo only got that way because of it's extraordinarily long wheelbase combined with still being built low.

I'm not clear on how thoroughly the intersection was regulated (signs, flashing lights, barricades, whatever), but another reason is a long vehicle getting stopped by the barricade on the other side of the tracks after trying to make it through.

Barricades are typically only long enough to block oncoming traffic.  I would consider it a defect if it blocked people from getting off.

Now, people trying to beat the train by going into the oncoming lane after the barricades have dropped, only to need to switch back to avoid that barricade, that is a problem, but not one easily fixed.

A garbage truck shouldn't be trying to beat the train.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 10:05:20 PM »
Don't know exactly what that one looks like, but it's out in a rural part of the county. Pretty basic stuff, I would imagine.

Add in the fact that one would think the trash truck drivers would also be familiar with their territory, so getting stuck on something he goes over on a regular basis would be weird... Unless he wasn't familiar with it? But in that case, why would he be out there?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 10:45:57 PM »
I said, "One of the main problems is that often the tracks are raised above the street level enough that some vehicles can get high centered."  The limo was an extreme example, but lots of vehicles can get high centered.

https://youtu.be/bgMj87A9WcY

And I didn't say that's what happened to the dump truck anyway.  That one's TBD.

If you look at enough of these videos, there are several where they have barricades for both sides of the road, on both sides of the tracks, especially for multi-track crossings, apparently to prevent people from driving around them or creeping over the supposedly vacant track and getting clobbered anyhow from another train.

See 3:25 ff for a double-barricade accident.  There are some other accidents on this vid including a repeat of the limo one.
https://youtu.be/xD-JNilJyfA

Another thing that happens often is that traffic on the other side of the tracks has stopped and a truck or bus driver doesn't realize that the rear of his vehicle has not actually cleared the tracks.

I've watched a large amount of these videos just 'cause, and I've seen every kind of dumbness and weird combinations of events to cause these accidents.

Right now the search engines are full of the recent accident, so it's hard to pull other stuff up, but here's an example.

https://youtu.be/V9_wdLW4ST8
Impact at 0:52.

Stop.  Look.  Listen.   That catchphrase has been around since before I was born.  People still don't.

And all the engineer can do is hit the brakes and blow the horn.

Terry

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:44:51 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 11:33:22 PM »
The train hit a garbage truck and killed one of the three people in the truck.

Geez, even Keynesians settle for breaking windows.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 11:36:15 PM »
At least one news report I read on the incident said that several of the congresscritters immediately began administering first aid to the injured. The unworthy side of my dinosaur brain wondered if the same would have happened if it was a train full of Democrat congresscritters.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 11:41:00 PM »
Even my normally very reasonable boss is pulling out the tin foil on this one.

Sanitation workers' union launches least successful suicide attack ever against Republicans?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 06:38:03 AM »
MSNBC headline this morning...

Racist Republican Gathering Murders Dreamer with Train
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 09:35:39 PM »
Actually, the author Stephen King said that the crash was Karma for Republicans.  You have to be an actual ahole to make a comment like that when some poor guy was killed in an accident.  Yup, Stephen King is one of the group of inclusive people.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 06:52:42 AM »
Holy crap, someone posted in King's Twitter Feed...

"Was it Karma when that van hit you?"

Another one...

"My friend Gander defines irony as a liberal--not paying attention to what's going on in the world--is struck by a van while wandering around."

3rd degree burn.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 12:41:27 PM »
Heard a report that someone living near the crossing reported that the signals/crossarms hadn't been working for over a week.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.