Author Topic: San Jose city council votes to remove Columbus statue.  (Read 793 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
San Jose city council votes to remove Columbus statue.
« on: January 31, 2018, 03:25:24 PM »
Because of certain folks' fee-fees.

I get that Chris wasn't a bundle of enlightenment when it came to his treatment of natives but he's a huge part of our history.

Now he wasn't the first European to find these shores, my people, the Norse get that credit but still his voyages sparked a whole wave of voyages to the New World without which America would not be a thing.

Of course if you're the sort that hates America you'd want to remove as much of it's history from public as you could, I suppose.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: San Jose city council votes to remove Columbus statue.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »
Replace it with a Leif Erikson statue and see how the Brown Berets like it.

(I'm sure they would have preferred Che Guevara)
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »
Because of certain folks' fee-fees.

I get that Chris wasn't a bundle of enlightenment when it came to his treatment of natives but he's a huge part of our history.

Now he wasn't the first European to find these shores, my people, the Norse get that credit but still his voyages sparked a whole wave of voyages to the New World without which America would not be a thing.

Of course if you're the sort that hates America you'd want to remove as much of it's history from public as you could, I suppose.

If I recall, he never found "these shores" anyway. I believe, his largest initial discovery was Hispaniola (and Cuba) and then eventually South and Central America.

To claim his discovery wasn't massively significant in a way that the Viking trade outposts weren't is foolish. He changed the world. (Like it or not.)

As to the other controversy, I have to recall something a wise man once said: "It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of sumbitch or another."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 04:32:21 PM »
Actually, he isn't a huge part of our history. Up until a successful marketing campaign about 100 years ago he was pretty much a footnote as far as North America was concerned.

Now he wasn't the first European to find these shores
Makattak correctly notes - he never set foot on these shores at all.

The only reason Columbus has a national holiday and all the statues is that Italian Catholics felt they needed a hero to make them look better. He really had absolutely jack to do with this country.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 04:32:52 PM »
I think San Jose is one of the dozens of CA cities that have outlawed Columbus Day and replaced it with "indigenous peoples day", so no surprise at the statue removal.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 04:52:43 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »
Nevermind. Not very aPs

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 05:27:14 PM »
I think San Jose is one of the dozens of CA cities that have outlawed Columbus Day and replaced it with "indigenous peoples day", so no surprise at the statue removal.

Seattle, too, celebrates Indigenous People's Day.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.