Author Topic: My favorite congressman is retiring  (Read 2317 times)

Hutch

• friend
My favorite congressman is retiring
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:50:59 PM »
Trey Gowdy is calling it quits.  I wonder if he got an offer he couldn’t refuse?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: My favorite congressman is retiring
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:01:36 AM »
He does put on a good show with hearings.
Too bad nothing has ever come from any of it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:31:53 AM »
He does put on a good show with hearings.
Too bad nothing has ever come from any of it.
^^^^^^
What he said.
Like Issa before him, based on results the man is all hat and no cattle.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:05:13 AM »
"...the man is all hat and no cattle."  LOL

I heard it once as all belt buckle, boots, and no horse.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »
Does anyone know which way it's likely to go regarding his replacement - R or D?

I also agree - I get excited about "That's what I want to hear!" when I see him running an investigation, but I don't think I have ever seen anything substantial come out of any one of them. If he had even a 50% success rate, I'd likely have said, "Gowdy for President!"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
My question on the investigations is who is putting the brakes on it?  Him or the leadership behind him?  I doubt we would ever get in a position to know.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 09:44:21 AM »
I'd be extremely surprised if he was replaced with a democrat. Given the area he's in I would expect a good replacement having very good chances.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »
But it seems the Dems are very adept at knowing how to win elections, especially in smaller local jurisdictions.  One of the reasons for this is that their "opponent-base" gets complacent.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »
But it seems the Dems are very adept at knowing how to win elections, especially in smaller local jurisdictions.  One of the reasons for this is that their "opponent-base" gets complacent.

Also their willingness to break laws, make up dirt, and pay people to make allegations close enough to the election that the Republicans have no time to counter them.

And that's BEFORE the voter fraud.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 03:07:00 PM »
No need to start up with the worrying.  I would say it depends on how the district is split up.  The replacement for Ron Paul didn't have any trouble a few years ago though I don't know if he is any good.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 05:27:21 PM »
While I generally agree with the posts on a good show at hearings; but nothing comes from them. Two points. Has anything ever come from a government hearing that actually improved government or stopped abuses of government? Second point. We would most likely not have known about Hillary’s email server without the Benghazi hearings, so while the hearings didn’t do much about the incompetence of the Obama administration; it did in fact lead to the exposure of the Hillary Server/emails. Which may have helped stop her from being elected.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 02:54:12 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/31/gowdy-approached-federal-judgeship/

A White House official confirmed that Gowdy was approached for a seat on the 4th Circuit, but declined the offer.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
While I generally agree with the posts on a good show at hearings; but nothing comes from them. Two points. Has anything ever come from a government hearing that actually improved government or stopped abuses of government? Second point. We would most likely not have known about Hillary’s email server without the Benghazi hearings, so while the hearings didn’t do much about the incompetence of the Obama administration; it did in fact lead to the exposure of the Hillary Server/emails. Which may have helped stop her from being elected.

Concur.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 04:35:03 PM »
There's an entire Congress up there, of which Trey Gowdy is a very visible part. But he's not the only one and I don't think it's fair to lay the blame on him alone. That said, I think Mr. Gowdy's work during the Obama years laid the groundwork for what is happening today with the IG report that is coming up, and today's House memo.

Especially knowing what we now know about how incredibly corrupt the Obama machine was from top to bottom, not to mention the spaghetti-spined NeverTrumpers, I'm not surprised Gowdy was not as successful as we would have liked. It was a stacked deck.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 04:38:56 PM »
As far as the election itself, there is approximately a 0.0% chance that a democrat will be elected to fill his seat. Greenville and Spartanburg are very red counties.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: My favorite congressman is retiring
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 05:41:17 PM »
As far as the election itself, there is approximately a 0.0% chance that a democrat will be elected to fill his seat. Greenville and Spartanburg are very red counties.
To clarify, I'm surprised the elected someone as mild and cozy with the left and Growdy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 05:46:05 PM »
I'm not surprised Gowdy was not as successful as we would have liked. It was a stacked deck.

No argument there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 09:39:30 AM »
There's an entire Congress up there, of which Trey Gowdy is a very visible part. But he's not the only one and I don't think it's fair to lay the blame on him alone. That said, I think Mr. Gowdy's work during the Obama years laid the groundwork for what is happening today with the IG report that is coming up, and today's House memo.

Especially knowing what we now know about how incredibly corrupt the Obama machine was from top to bottom, not to mention the spaghetti-spined NeverTrumpers, I'm not surprised Gowdy was not as successful as we would have liked. It was a stacked deck.
First, I don't know if we really want Congress to be our enforcement tool.  That should be on the Executive Branch.  What they should do is cut off funding for various things until they get the attention of these agencies.  However, that didn't happen and wasn't going to with the leadership up there.  I am not sure about the current Speaker, but Boenner seemed terribly weak on all but a few issues. 

Second, what he did do was highlight a lot of the things the administration was doing in a public and official way that could not be easily dismissed.  As Jocasee said, it laid the ground work for what we see now as well as pissing off a bunch of voters to the point that an outsider like Trump got elected.  

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 08:41:27 PM »
"Retiring" is my favorite type of congressman as well.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth