Author Topic: Another school shooting  (Read 3789 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Another school shooting
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »

If they've seen enough movies and television, they know that guns fire when dropped, about 50% of the time.

True https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBIrQV9PxHg
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:29:02 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »
Things have changed since I was there.

Yea,  I had a few incidents as a youth with bullying.  Bact in the  late 1960s-early '70s  though the school authoriies,  while not always being omniscient,  actively did STOMP DOWN BULLYING  when ever and where ever they could find it.  No tolerance.  No looking away,  no pc crapola.

Wow....things change.....

I suspect that when you were there teachers and administrators could grab a bully and stop him/her.  I also suspect hat it would be career death to go hands on a student now.  Not like Fight Club or anything either.  Just grab bully by arm and shove them back away from altercation.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 02:13:35 PM »
When I was in school, people seemed to think bullying was just a fact of life. No one who wasn't being bullied seemed to think about it much. Now, I hear about it all the time. It's one of the Great Evils, like misgendering. So they must be dealing with the problem pretty effectively, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 03:15:13 PM »
When I was in school, people seemed to think bullying was just a fact of life. No one who wasn't being bullied seemed to think about it much. Now, I hear about it all the time. It's one of the Great Evils, like misgendering. So they must be dealing with the problem pretty effectively, right?

If they were dealing with it, you wouldn't be hearing about it.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »
Back when I was in school, if you were being bullied you went and settle it mano-a-mano, preferably after school and not on school grounds.  And NOT in the school hallway 30 ft from the Dean's office who was able to break it up after you threw the first (and only punch). 

Because the Dean might a well be Jasper Beardly.   And your butt still stings when you get home and Dad grabs that extra thick yardstick and does batting practice on your behind.

Have to sit in in-school suspension for 3 days (right next to the bully who had a glass jaw), was somewhat painful.   However, we worked out our differences and are (FB) friends to this day.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »
I was bullied all through grade school and part of Jr High. I was big (tall and hairy for my age) and didn't fight back and if ya hurt me, I would cry. My mom had and died of cancer when I was 13 and my dad was a traveling lawn and garden equipment salesman (mowers and riding tractors mostly) and that had an effect on me. Dad, a former Marine, showed me how big and strong I was and how to defend myself. I ran daily before school and worked out with weights and a punching bag one summer. When I went back to school after the death of my mom, I took *expletive deleted*it off of NO ONE. I once stood up in class and warned another student that they were one word away from an ass whooping RIGHT THEN AND THERE. At 13 years old, 6'1", 210 lbs and fit, I was ASKED to leave the room. I strolled the school grounds and when the bell rung, I reported to my next class and that was the end of it. The next day I was left alone.

There were a few that used to pick on me who tried it and quickly discovered that Speedy was NOT going to be ANYONE's punching bag. Dad taught me that "If you are in a fight, fight to win. If you can't win, let them know you were there!" He also said, "Son, don't start a fight, END it."
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 02:47:31 PM »

In addition to creating fragile children, we have allowed their peers unfettered access to them 24 hours per day. (No, likely not the members of this board, but I'd say most of society.)

Previously, if you were bullied, you could escape to your group of friends and only deal with the bullies while in school. Or, if you had no friends, escape into your own home and your books/games/etc...

With the internet, the bullied children bring the bullies home with them. There is no escape.

So, yes, there is a bullying problem that is different than when we went to school. It is not because of bullying per se, but a technological problem.

Oh hey! Something else to lay at Mark Zuckerberg's feet. His whole: "EVERYONE HAS TO BE THEMSELVES OPENLY ALL THE TIME ON TEH INTERNET!!!" means that children don't get anonymity to escape their tormentors.

Well done, Zucky. Well done.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 06:35:16 PM »

Dad taught me that "If you are in a fight, fight to win. If you can't win, let them know you were there!" He also said, "Son, don't start a fight, END it."

Sounds like Marine-like advice. Sort of akin to

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 11:23:06 PM »
I have said, as an adult working security, when confronted by 2 bikers, "If you are gonna beat my ass ya better bring yer lunch because we are gonna be here a while!" Thank god they bought it because I was more than a bit concerned about my ability to take them BOTH on! It's better to bluff your way out of a fight than to fight at all I learned over time. However, be prepared to have to back up your words every now and then.

As to school bullying, It SUCKS! You can no longer fight back without paying a HIGH price for DEFENDING YOURSELF, and this sickens me. School administration lacks spines, "common" sense and legal backing so they are worse than no help. The kids peers are no help because they are either mute sheep or a pack of wolves so no help there. The kids parents are either too busy or disinterested to believe/assist their kids AND their hands are tied anyway! It is a TOTAL no win situation. The ONLY hope is to pull the kid and home school or transfer schools. Transferring schools won't help unless the child learns to behave in a way that won't attract bullies attention. That brings in 2 huge issues, 1) good luck getting a child to "become someone they are not." 2) Why the hell SHOULD a child become "someone else" unless they suffer a mental or personality issue? What if they just "look/walk/talk funny?" What then.

If we don't change our PC society and fix the parents and the staff/faculty, there is no real hope for the bullied child short of home schooling and that comes with the price of a lack of socialization skills/experience which can shackle them in their adult life from what I can see.

Did my experience and methodology work out well? NO. It took years to find out how to properly integrate into society and to find how to get along with all others as best as one could. I still have anger issues. I still have depression. We are not all the same and we don't all fit in. I wish I knew the "solution" but I don't. I see and know some of the issues but lack the solutions.

Sorry, off topic but it hits home.

Grade school

10 or 11?

Elementary School band geek

High School, grade 11? 12?

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!