Author Topic: Nice suprise find/The one-shot knockdown .45...  (Read 645 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Nice suprise find/The one-shot knockdown .45...
« on: December 26, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »
myth is still alive and well. I was talking with my grandpa about the firearms he learned to shoot with in the military, and he mentioned that the .45 automatics they used were good for a hit-the-guy-anywhere-one-shot-knockdown.  grin I just humored him.

On a more exciting note, I found a rifle wrapped up in a couple of black garbage bags in his basement when we were there on Christmas. It was a (I think 1939, that was stamped on it) German k98 with some documents (I believe documenting it as a captured German rifle). The rifle looked pretty good, none of the metal was pitted or corroded, the barrel had a swastika stamped on it, there were only a few dings on the stock. Maybe someday that rifle will be passed on to me.  smiley
Andy

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
Re: The one-shot knockdown .45...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 09:59:03 AM »
Krikey!  Isn't that a recipe for rust?  A k98 made before the war started draining resources sounds like a real find.   

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 10:00:42 AM »
Krikey!  Isn't that a recipe for rust?  A k98 made before the war started draining resources sounds like a real find.   

I added some more info to my first post, his basement is dry and it was up on a shelf away from any walls. It looked like a nice rifle, I think I'll have to see if I can get it some better care.
Andy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »
After talking to a vew WWII and Korea vets, I think there is some credence to the myth.  My belief is that a good hit with a .45 to the vitals is what started the myth. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 11:25:05 AM »
Some scholars suggest that it results from Vichy French who fainted at the sight of the .45's bore. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife