Author Topic: Logitech mice  (Read 1455 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Logitech mice
« on: October 22, 2020, 04:10:19 PM »
I have a Logitech M187 mini cordless mouse. It has seen very little use. I took it out recently to use with a notebook computer with which I had been using a mini mouse with a retractable cord. I'm finding that the Logitech mouse usually doesn't respond to the first click of the button. I'm not sure if it's the amount of pressure exerted. I have played with the double click speed, but that's not the issue because it doesn't respond even to things that only require one click. It's the same when I try to use it at my desktop computer, so the problem is the mouse, not the computer.

Has anyone had recent experience with Logitech rodents? I like the size and shape of the M187, but I would much prefer a mouse that works the way it's supposed to. What are may chances of buying another and having it work? Or has Logitech gone downhill, like so many other formely-good brands, and what I encountered is the new normal?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
Re: Logitech mice
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 04:15:29 PM »
I have pretty good luck with Logitech.  They are solid middle of the road mice.  I got another one for one of my laptops a couple months ago and didn't have any issues with it.

You probably just got a bad one.  Sucks, but can happen.  Try and return it for an exchange?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 04:20:00 PM »
I've had a couple of M510 for years with no problems. I picked up a M705 a while back and it died after about 6 months.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 04:23:38 PM »
Is it plugged into a USB 2 or 3 port? Many wireless mice have issues with USB 3 ports.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 04:23:51 PM »
I love Logitech mice, I've run into a problem with the left-click microswitch on two of them going bad over time.  I usually noticed it as firing an additional click when I was trying to drag.

There are fixes but typically require replacement of the switch although I did see one guy who shimmed it somehow.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 04:35:53 PM »
I've had LT mice and trackballs over the years and on a couple I've noticed that issue, as well. I don't think it's an indication of company issues, I think it's a "*expletive deleted*it happens" kind of thing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 05:04:37 PM »
I don't remember what I'm using at the house but I have to hit the keyboard then hit the mouse click and it wakes up fine. Just hitting the mouse doesn't always work.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 08:31:58 PM »
Is it plugged into a USB 2 or 3 port? Many wireless mice have issues with USB 3 ports.

USB 2.

So I guess I'll just toss it.

Question: Do all Logitech wireless mousies operate on the same frequency? In other words, would there be any value in keeping the dongle for potential use as a spare with a replacement wireless mousie?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 09:25:14 PM by Hawkmoon »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 09:10:31 PM »
I have not been a fan.  The last two we had developed problems with clicking a year or two.

The wireless dongle for one did not work with the other.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 09:25:00 PM »
You need the logitech software to pair the dongle with a new mouse and/or keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 09:26:17 PM »
You need the logitech software to pair the dongle with a new mouse and/or keyboard.

What software? It didn't come with any software -- it was plug-and-play (to whatever extent it played).

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 09:28:43 PM »
What software? It didn't come with any software -- it was plug-and-play (to whatever extent it played).

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023265394-Connect-your-Logitech-keyboard-or-mouse-with-the-Unifying-receiver

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025297913

If you buy a new mouse, it will come with a dongle already paired to it.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 08:24:49 AM »
USB 2.

So I guess I'll just toss it.

Question: Do all Logitech wireless mousies operate on the same frequency? In other words, would there be any value in keeping the dongle for potential use as a spare with a replacement wireless mousie?

If it's a Logitech "unify" receiver, keep it.  Those let use use more than one device on a single receiver.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/unifying-receiver-usb

Logitech and Microsoft, both make decent mice, and if I'm going to spend money as opposed to foraging for whatever comes my way, that's what I will spend money on.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 08:26:12 AM »

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025297913-Logitech-Unifying-Software
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 11:48:55 AM »
At work, the operators have about 8 screens with 5 or 6 computers.  We go through a lot of mice over time.  I generally get Logitech or Microsoft.  In the past, I once got several mice of the exact same type.  We suspected there was some interference so I bought a few from different manufacturers and replaced some.  Never noticed anything like that again so that may not have been the issue. 

At times I just use a wired mouse if it is not an inconvenience.  They come with new computers so I have a few spares at work.  No one else uses them.  They come in handy in locations where they are seldom used and keeping up with batteries would suck.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 12:54:05 PM »
https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025297913-Logitech-Unifying-Software

Thanks for the link.

Once on their web site, I submitted an inquiry, which has been turned into a support ticket. They sent me a list of trouble shooting steps, one of which is to switch the setup to make the right button the primary. When I did that, things worked normally -- so the culprit is a bad microswitch under the left button. Their warranty is three years so it should be covered -- if I had the receipt (which I don't). So we'll see if they'll do anything for me.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 05:02:59 PM »
It took awhile, and several exchanges of e-mails with their customer support department, but Logitech has finally agreed to send me a replacement mouse.

I hope it works when it arrives.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 04:34:10 AM »
I switched to their Logitech M535 Bluetooth model.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148NPJ3W/
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 07:12:15 AM »
Pretty sure I've been using this Logictech trackball for at least 20 years...

I also have a wireless one with a lot more programmable buttons that I use when I do graphic design. Some of the buttons are programmable and I can program them to bring up common shapes, etc.

Not had to do that for quite some time, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 07:59:13 AM »

Bluetooth kb/mice sometimes cause issues getting into BIOS/UTFI on some systems. Have to keep USB KB and/or mice handy for that reason.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2020, 01:05:54 PM »

I have one of those, too. But the M187 is smaller, so it's handy on the road when I may not have a desk to work at.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 03:48:51 PM »
I have 2 "back up" wireless USB mice and 1 "Tailed" rat for when shirt REALLY get's deep!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 03:51:02 PM »
I have one of those, too. But the M187 is smaller, so it's handy on the road when I may not have a desk to work at.

I have big hands (and Feet! Don't believe the old saying...) so smaller mice cramp up my hand. I use the arm of my recliner as my "mouse pad".
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 06:01:39 PM »
I bought a Logitech M185 recently and really like it.  A lot.  It's a full sized wireless, but smaller than some.  Was going to buy another one as a spare but they seem to have been discontinued. 
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend