Author Topic: People moving due to telework?  (Read 1358 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
Re: People moving due to telework?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 10:36:04 AM »
I have heard several anecdotes of people that could abandoning cities and moving out to, at least the suburbs,  if not farther.

Apartments in NYC going unrented, my in laws have said people are moving out of their building in Minneapolis, my wife's cousin is fleeing Chicagoland. If the work allows it, it seems a not insignificant number of folks decided the city life isn't worth it.

I wonder if we'll see a fall back into slums as the people driving the urban gentrification dry up and stop moving in.  If we do, I'm a little curious how it will be spun to be white people's fault.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 11:21:54 AM »
I wonder if we'll see a fall back into slums as the people driving the urban gentrification dry up and stop moving in.  If we do, I'm a little curious how it will be spun to be white people's fault.

That will be very interesting to watch. Gentrification has been, going on a couple of decades at least, a pet project of the coastal elites, especially of the hipster variety. As much as that demographic irritates me, they have turned some slummy areas around (though that comes with consequences for other demographics).

Now we have the same areas that were magnets to the wealthy cool kids becoming places to avoid. I also see that the "tiny house" movement is, at least for the near future, dying.

Besides moving to larger houses in suburbs near to their previous city dwellings and employers, those who have the telecommuting freedom with their employers are also heading to "hip cities" as well as "hip towns" where the smaller towns have robust internet infrastructure. Boise is one example where the real estate market involving coastals coming in is out of control. It was already getting coastal residents previously, but the numbers now are getting crazy, both in people and housing prices.

Garden City, one of those gentrification areas that is right next to Boise, is apparently getting the gentrified hipsters from San Francisco and the like. They can get the same gentrified, corner wine bar vibe without the riots. I have been looking at townhomes as a rental investment, and Garden City is one of the areas my realtor sends me. Townhomes there on the river are now averaging $500K and up, which for the rents you can get, is already pushing them out of the "profitability" realm.

I can't help but wonder if twenty years from now we'll see the whole thing reverse again.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 12:34:41 PM »

I can't help but wonder if twenty years from now we'll see the whole thing reverse again.

Twenty years from now Mega City One will be just taking shape.  =D

Actually, I'm only half kidding,  the current diaspora from American cities needs, among other things, cheap energy and transportation. (Energy to run the distributed dwellings, and transportation to being them the things).  Depending on what Green New Deal-esque stuff happens in the next 20 years, you may very well see people flocking to the cities because they can't afford to light a house in the sticks.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 03:23:07 PM »
Twenty years from now Mega City One will be just taking shape.  =D

Actually, I'm only half kidding,  the current diaspora from American cities needs, among other things, cheap energy and transportation. (Energy to run the distributed dwellings, and transportation to being them the things).  Depending on what Green New Deal-esque stuff happens in the next 20 years, you may very well see people flocking to the cities because they can't afford to light a house in the sticks.

I was thinking San Angeles instead, that's about the time Simon Phoenix is thawed ...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 12:24:29 PM »
Just saw a story that >295,000 change of address forms had been filed with the post office in the last 8 months for people moving OUT of NYC. Since many of these involve a household with more than 1 person, the actual total of people moving out is well in excess of 300,000. 

Anecdotally, some of the talking heads I've seen on TV have said that a good many of these are high-income tax refugees seeking greener pastures with lower taxes - a move made possible by teleworking.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 01:04:48 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/16/931400786/small-cities-are-a-big-draw-for-remote-workers-during-the-pandemic?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR1Y1CUyJnbf7Xh0tMHlY0NTX8IfABn6uLx9i58K28x1GWg9rF7kGV1vfUg

We should all move to Burlington, Vermont.

The migration to Santa Barbara was interesting. That has to be people from Silicon Valley, because housing prices there are insane. There are few places you could move from and get similar or lower housing prices, San Francisco being one of them, and politics/culture will be equivalent.

I can only assume they included Santa Maria with Santa Barbara because it's 50 minutes away with much cheaper housing. Kind of a shithole though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 01:38:56 PM »
I think a lot of those urban hipsters like it in the urban areas, but if the local politicians are going to encourage rioting and looting, that changes thing.  

My employer's corporate office is in Houston.  I have avoided looking at jobs that would need me to move to Houston in the past because I like living in a smaller city some distance away.  However, if they allow telecomuting and maybe going to the office once a week, that changes the equation.  

I know someone who does online cloud programming for a large Corp and he built a house out in the middle of nowhere on family land.  That was in 2018 so he was ahead of the curve.  He and his wife were fed up with the urban/suburban traffic and crowding. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 02:22:01 PM »
I will be interested to see if the telework migration leads to better Internet in the hinterlands.  As the crow flies, we are 6.5 miles east of a major freeway (I-5) in a rural suburb and yet the scarcity of high-speed internet options is amazing. Lots of complaints on the local FB pages about this.  Thank goodness the developer of our rural cluster subdivision paid to have Xfinity copper cable installed to the development.  I think he paid for a 1.5 mile extension from the end of the line back then. We were one of the first buyers and I specifically asked about this since it was a condition if we bought or not.

This not only impacts telework, but also the kids doing remote school.  Some of the local districts fill school buses with wireless capability and drive to key locations every school day so that (usually rural) students and teachers can be driven to the parking lot adjacent to the bus so they have connectivity.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 02:34:50 PM »
Just saw a story that >295,000 change of address forms had been filed with the post office in the last 8 months for people moving OUT of NYC. Since many of these involve a household with more than 1 person, the actual total of people moving out is well in excess of 300,000. 

Anecdotally, some of the talking heads I've seen on TV have said that a good many of these are high-income tax refugees seeking greener pastures with lower taxes - a move made possible by teleworking.

I speak for all Florida residents when I say: "*expletive deleted*ck!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 04:41:15 PM »
If I could work my job remote I'd be out of Northern Virginia in a freaking heartbeat. But, the work I do requires me to be in a secured location, so no dice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 04:52:44 PM »
I did this 5 years ago. I wanted out of an office building environment and live in a cheaper area with less people, but still have all the conveniences with in 10 minutes of my residence. Being a domiciled employee is awesome. :)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 05:14:28 PM »
Now if someone could only domesticate you...  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 05:15:12 PM »
Now if someone could only domesticate you...  :rofl:

What fun would that be?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 07:23:04 AM »
What fun would that be?

Well, at the very least you'd stop leaving messes everywhere... Hell, even Seren has a favorite corner in the yard...