Author Topic: Seattle homelessness  (Read 1752 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Seattle homelessness
« on: November 13, 2020, 03:39:57 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Seattle homelessness
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »
The flaming stick video is eye opening.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 03:58:15 PM »
I think I read elsewhere that Seattle spends 100k per year per homeless person based on the budgets of the programs and agencies in place to deal with them. So far this has succeeded wildly. In increasing the homeless population.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 04:10:40 PM »
Seattle is their home thus they are not homeless thus Seattle has no homeless. See! democrat policies work!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 04:11:21 PM »
I think I read elsewhere that Seattle spends 100k per year per homeless person based on the budgets of the programs and agencies in place to deal with them. So far this has succeeded wildly. In increasing the homeless population.

That's a feature, not a bug.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 04:19:23 PM »
We call it the 'homeless industrial complex' up here in Seattle, and the amount of money spent, vs. the return on investment, is shocking.

https://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenews/article/what-it-costs-to-end-homelessness-in-King-County-15008905.php

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/public-and-social-sector/our-insights/why-does-prosperous-king-county-have-a-homelessness-crisis#

My prescription would be in addition to increasing tiny houses and the like, would be to provide more mental health and addiction services and giving people a choice between availing themselves of services, going to jail, or being put on a bus out of state.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 04:56:01 PM »

My prescription would be in addition to increasing tiny houses

I didn't read all the links, but is Seattle springing for tiny houses? I looked into them for a while, considering one for next to the house for guests or if I can ever convince my dad to move up, but their cost vs modular home, mobile home, etc. was pretty outrageous. Seems like the city would be better off buying fleets of fifth wheels and trailers, which could be easily moved so the land could be used for other things, if at some point in the future they don't want tiny house shanty towns all over the place.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 05:57:26 PM »
Y'all need to pray for climate change that involves brutal winters.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 06:55:16 PM »
We call it the 'homeless industrial complex' up here in Seattle, and the amount of money spent, vs. the return on investment, is shocking.

https://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenews/article/what-it-costs-to-end-homelessness-in-King-County-15008905.php

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/public-and-social-sector/our-insights/why-does-prosperous-king-county-have-a-homelessness-crisis#

My prescription would be in addition to increasing tiny houses and the like, would be to provide more mental health and addiction services and giving people a choice between availing themselves of services, going to jail, or being put on a bus out of state.
I don't think providing housing would do anything though cutting the bureacracy to make housing less expensive would be a good thing. 

Health and addiction services would be good alongside programs to help people get back on track who want to.  Otherwise, no needles, no drugs, no food, no camping, get out.  Sounds like people have made an industry out this stuff to the detriment of actual middle class tax payers
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 08:11:05 PM »
I think I read elsewhere that Seattle spends 100k per year per homeless person

My guess is they receive/budget 100k per year per homeless person, but actually spend the money on pet libtard projects.  A year ago when the news was about the city council trying to extort money from Amazon "for the homeless", the question came up what did they do with the money they received before?  No accountability.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 11:53:42 AM »
I was walking in downtown Seattle and Seattle Center yesterday. There really are tents and homeless people everywhere. Drug use and drinking/intoxication on the streets is rampant. The city is dirty. This is not the Seattle that I remember from 20 years ago when my high-school friends and I would go to music shows pretty frequently. Things have been spiraling out of control for years with little to no effective action to curb the problem.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 12:20:16 PM »
^^^And don't forget the feces and used needles!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 12:23:43 PM »
I was walking in downtown Seattle and Seattle Center yesterday. There really are tents and homeless people everywhere. Drug use and drinking/intoxication on the streets is rampant. The city is dirty. This is not the Seattle that I remember from 20 years ago when my high-school friends and I would go to music shows pretty frequently. Things have been spiraling out of control for years with little to no effective action to curb the problem.

Sad. I haven't been to Seattle in many years, but when I first started with the feds, I was sent there a lot. I generally enjoyed the downtown experience after work back in the day.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 12:27:08 PM »
Sad. I haven't been to Seattle in many years, but when I first started with the feds, I was sent there a lot. I generally enjoyed the downtown experience after work back in the day.

Seattle used to be one of my favorite layovers.  We stayed downtown in a decent hotel.  There was a ton of stuff to see and do and the city wasn't a cesspool.  Now we stay south of SEATAC somewhere.  No homeless camps, but nothing interesting down there.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 12:42:24 PM »
I have to often wonder in "once upon a time" scenarios, how many of the crazy (which seems to often overlap with junkie) homeless population would've ended up simply institutionalized as a ward of the state.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 02:04:18 PM »
Government at work.

Several years ago while the local city bus company was lobbying for light rail, someone had the audacity to point out that based on their projected ridership, for the cost of light rail they could buy every single projected rider a Prius, and still save millions.

Light rail proponents were NOT amused, probably since the main purpose of programs like this is to convert public funds into private profits.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 07:38:02 PM »
https://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-king-county-regional-homeless-authority-agency-appears-stalled

So now the regional homeless authority that was to provide a coordinated approach is several months behind schedule. An interesting and frustrating aspect of Seattle politics is the love of process.  Nothing can happen until there have been committees, task force studies, public comment, rinse and repeat ad infinitum.  Many unpleasant or difficult decisions have a way of never making it past the committee/task force study stage where they die a quiet death and the can is kicked further down the road.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 02:00:15 AM »
https://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-king-county-regional-homeless-authority-agency-appears-stalled

So now the regional homeless authority that was to provide a coordinated approach is several months behind schedule. An interesting and frustrating aspect of Seattle politics is the love of process.  Nothing can happen until there have been committees, task force studies, public comment, rinse and repeat ad infinitum.  Many unpleasant or difficult decisions have a way of never making it past the committee/task force study stage where they die a quiet death and the can is kicked further down the road.
But I am sure all the members of those committees are well paid and no one questions them too much.  Sounds like a way to keep spending the budget without actually doing anything and avoid accountability. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 09:56:30 AM »
Sounds like a way to keep spending the budget without actually doing anything and avoid accountability. 

... in other words: a typical government program.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »
I have to often wonder in "once upon a time" scenarios, how many of the crazy (which seems to often overlap with junkie) homeless population would've ended up simply institutionalized as a ward of the state.

But then there isn’t nearly as many insane graft and corruption opportunities to “do something” about the problem.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 10:40:18 AM »
A symbiosis, which means the problem never gets really solved to any extent at all.

(Similar to something I read or heard something recently, to the effect that Catholic Charities gets a check from FedGov for every illegal immigrant they help.  Which drives the US-ian Catholic official position on immigration.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:26:58 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 12:11:28 PM »

At the same time, you should wonder how many other people would've ended up as wards of the state who had not reason to be there due to the ease at which people were committed.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 01:01:10 PM »
^^^And the other problem is that jails and psychiatric hospitals are very expensive to run, and people generally don't want the tax burden associated with expanding the system.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 01:24:01 PM »
^^^And the other problem is that jails and psychiatric hospitals are very expensive to run, and people generally don't want the tax burden associated with expanding the system.

Do they cost more than $100K per patient/inmate per year?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 01:27:57 PM »

Oh, no, they tend to loooove jails and prisons.   "Jobs!!!!!"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.