Author Topic: Credit card harvested  (Read 647 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Credit card harvested
« on: November 14, 2020, 11:35:38 AM »
Last night I got a notice about possibly fraudulent activity on one of my credit cards. Definitely not my charges, so the account has been closed and a replacement card has been sent. The bogus charges (three of them) all followed within about a half hour after I submitted an on-line order to a vitamin vendor I've been dealing with for over 20 years. I am not happy about that.

I think it was on this forum that someone mentioned a service that generates one-time, throw-away "virtual" credit card numbers for use when making on-line purchases. It sounds like I need to get on board with that program. Can someone tell me the name of the service and steer to it? How much does it cost, and how reliable is it?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 12:47:31 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Credit card harvested
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 11:43:41 AM »
I don't know what service was discussed, but a lot of banks let you do it with their cards for free.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
Apparently Chase doesn't offer that perk.  =(

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 12:18:36 PM »
Apparently Chase doesn't offer that perk.  =(

I think they do. (also Citi and Capital One)  Lemme see if I can find it; I have a Chase card.

ETA: try this: https://www.chase.com/digital/digital-payments/chase-pay 
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 12:42:06 PM »
I think they do. (also Citi and Capital One)  Lemme see if I can find it; I have a Chase card.

ETA: try this: https://www.chase.com/digital/digital-payments/chase-pay 

Thanks. I had already found that, but it's not the same thing. Chase Pay only works with on-line merchants who have signed up to use it and who display a Chase Pay logo on their payment screen.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 02:08:16 PM »
Thanks. I had already found that, but it's not the same thing. Chase Pay only works with on-line merchants who have signed up to use it and who display a Chase Pay logo on their payment screen.

Interesting.  I'd want to use it when shopping at sketchy sites, not the ones who sign up for the service.
"It's good, though..."