Author Topic: Ad Blockers  (Read 552 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Ad Blockers
« on: November 15, 2020, 11:45:29 AM »
I've been using Adblock plus for years, I just heard about Ublock Origin. Anybody heard anything good or bad
about it? What do you use?

https://ublockorigin.com/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Ad Blockers
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 12:39:00 PM »
Adblock Plus here.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 12:45:26 PM »
AdGuard here
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 12:56:22 PM »
Fair AdBlocker here.  Now if there is an app to block all the little non-ad popup windows on a website, I am all ears.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

2nd_to_one

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 02:47:02 PM »
In the spirit of Zxcvbob's question in another thread regarding the Raspberry PI...

For what I think is pretty much the ultimate in ad-blocking on your home network checkout https://pi-hole.net/.  This is a DNS (Domain Name Server) re-director running on the Raspberry PI.  After you set it up and connect it to your network you point your router at it so that all DNS requests flow first to the Pi-Hole which maintains a "blacklist" of ad-ware, mal-ware, etc. sites. If the requested IP is found in the blacklist the request redirects to 127.0.0.0 (Null).  If the site is not found in the blacklists it sends it onward to the DNS servers of your choice.  This method of ad-blocking is also invisible to sites that look for ad-blockers, the null re-direct returns a valid response to the request, but there is no data, therefore no ad.  You can white-list sites if it breaks something on give site and you can add your own sites to the blacklist as desired.

The beauty of this solution is that it is network-wide.  It does not matter what device you are using, if it connects to the internet via your network ads will be blocked.  For instance, it blocks ads on my cell phone when I am connected to Wi-Fi at home. I have even managed to get it blocking ads on my "free" Pandora subscription :)!  The blacklists are updated automatically so it always has the latest information available for filtering.

Regards,

Steve

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 03:16:26 PM »
In the spirit of Zxcvbob's question in another thread regarding the Raspberry PI...

For what I think is pretty much the ultimate in ad-blocking on your home network checkout https://pi-hole.net/.  This is a DNS (Domain Name Server) re-director running on the Raspberry PI.  After you set it up and connect it to your network you point your router at it so that all DNS requests flow first to the Pi-Hole which maintains a "blacklist" of ad-ware, mal-ware, etc. sites. If the requested IP is found in the blacklist the request redirects to 127.0.0.0 (Null).  If the site is not found in the blacklists it sends it onward to the DNS servers of your choice.  This method of ad-blocking is also invisible to sites that look for ad-blockers, the null re-direct returns a valid response to the request, but there is no data, therefore no ad.  You can white-list sites if it breaks something on give site and you can add your own sites to the blacklist as desired.

The beauty of this solution is that it is network-wide.  It does not matter what device you are using, if it connects to the internet via your network ads will be blocked.  For instance, it blocks ads on my cell phone when I am connected to Wi-Fi at home. I have even managed to get it blocking ads on my "free" Pandora subscription :)!  The blacklists are updated automatically so it always has the latest information available for filtering.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks!  I have been increasingly dissatisfied with AdBlock because so many sites detect it and will not load unless you whitelist them.  (if they only have a few ads, I will, otherwise I just move on)  That's why I haven't sent them any additional  money whenever they do and update and suggest another donation.  It also sometimes blocks popup windows that I don't want blocked.
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »
Switched to Ublock Origin just a couple of weeks ago.  Works well, uninstalled my Ad Block Plus.

Working on a Pi Hole to kill youtube for the spawn.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 04:22:01 PM »
I just plugged Adguard's DNS into my router and turned off AdBlock Plus in my browser.  Haven't really test driven it yet
"It's good, though..."