Author Topic: Simple and affordable range bag  (Read 1959 times)

motojim515

Simple and affordable range bag
« on: February 28, 2018, 11:49:05 PM »
I am looking for a simple and affordable range bag. Any recommendations? Looking to spend under $65.

-Jim

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Simple and affordable range bag
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 12:00:42 AM »
Some use tool bags.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 12:27:17 AM »
What do you want to put in it?  Do you typically take one gun or many?  Loads of magazines or a handful?  Pistol?  Rifle?  Shotgun?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 03:24:06 AM »
I use an old camera bag that I snagged at goodwill ($5)
If you can't find same, the midway bags are very well made and excellent value. Highly recommend thier gun cases also.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 04:48:48 AM »
LAPG bailout bag works well as does soft sided tool bags...each is about $20 or so
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 06:50:54 AM »
The Goodwill-type of store near here has scads of all kinds of luggage --soft side, hard side, big, little, handles, straps, with both handles and straps, with zippered and padlockable pouches, anything you can think of. 

I believe as the wheeled luggage became popular, people turned in their old luggage, which is why they had so much of it.

For CHEAP.

I got several of them for various purposes including a range bag, but also a bignormous one for my bugout bag.  With what I got in there, food, underwear, socks, money, toiletries, etc., etc., etc.,  it's pretty heavy.

One of these days I'll actually weigh it if I can get the energy to lift it.

Oh, there's no ammo or guns in it, but I recently put a switchblade knife in it since they're now legal.

Did I mention CHEAP?

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
If you want a purpose made bag, look at MidwayUSA and some of their Midway branded bags and pouches.  A lot of them are not hugely expensive.  Also, sometimes different colors of the same product are different prices.  

https://www.midwayusa.com/range-bags/br?cid=19645
This is just a search for "range bag".  Some are expensive, others are not.  Depends on what you are looking for.  

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/955014/midwayusa-bucket-style-range-bag-black
Here is a bucket bag with pouches.   =D

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939221689/midwayusa-competition-range-bag-system
I think this is what I am using.  Has enough pockets I can store all my safety gear, target stickers, and a few tools as well as throwing in the ammo.  It can get heavy with ammo and pistols.  At the outdoor range I am a member, it doesn't matter if I have multiple bags and such, but if I shoot at the indoor range with someone it is easier to carry in one bag.

I guess there are likely other brands out there, but this is one I know about.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 10:15:45 AM »
The academy sports branded bags are quite good. I'm pretty sure they're the same as the Midway USA branded ones. It's my current range bag and it's served me just fine and dandy

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 10:25:36 AM »
Question, no snark intended, but is there a benefit to a real range bag?  I just put firearms in hard cases I have, everything else in whatever backpack or duffel bag I have at hand.

I can see the benefit of a dedicated bag to leave some things in, like basic tools, CLP, and eye/ear protection, ready to go.  It would also avoid the "ahem" embarassing situation of carrying your bag into the airport only to find a handful of brass and a few live shells while waiting in line at TSA.   :O
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 10:54:02 AM »
Question, no snark intended, but is there a benefit to a real range bag?  I just put firearms in hard cases I have, everything else in whatever backpack or duffel bag I have at hand.

I can see the benefit of a dedicated bag to leave some things in, like basic tools, CLP, and eye/ear protection, ready to go.  It would also avoid the "ahem" embarassing situation of carrying your bag into the airport only to find a handful of brass and a few live shells while waiting in line at TSA.   :O
For just a bag to take guns to the range, I think it is better.  Much easier to know you have all your safety gear without worrying about forgetting it.  The mag pockets and other multiple pockets allow you to stash all sorts of stuff you need and keep it separate.  I used to use tool bags from Walmart.  They work pretty well, but I still end up digging around hunting stuff because it was all just piled in.  It was a good, cheap way to start when I first started shooting, but I feel a good range bag is an upgrade.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

motojim515

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
What do you want to put in it?  Do you typically take one gun or many?  Loads of magazines or a handful?  Pistol?  Rifle?  Shotgun?

I typically shoot 9mm, and .45 handguns. I have .22LR rifles now for my son and I. And a shotgun that hasn't been used that I want to start shooting skeet / clay / trap. I have a hard side case used for two hand guns. I like to have cleaning stuff and ammo in another bag. I use a backpack that I also use for work / travel with laptops and I don't want to end up "discussing" things in my bag that I forgot with the airport staff (don't get me started on them, I get ugly real quick).

I like the thrift shop and tool bag suggestions. I will also look at Midway to start.

Thank you everyone for responding.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Simple and affordable range bag
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 12:09:52 PM »

I can see the benefit of a dedicated bag to leave some things in, like basic tools, CLP, and eye/ear protection, ready to go.  It would also avoid the "ahem" embarassing situation of carrying your bag into the airport only to find a handful of brass and a few live shells while waiting in line at TSA.   :O
It's a convenient place to leave ear/eye pro etc. Also targets and such. Basically the goodies that go to the range with me all the time so I don't have to pack and unpack them for each trip. A specifically designed range bag is far from needed, but I do like having a dedicated bag.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 09:32:57 PM »
https://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-bg-rangebag-elite.html
Jamis, those are some nice looking bags for some pretty decent prices!

Sent from my electronical brick via Tap-O-Crap!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 10:11:19 AM »
Jamis, those are some nice looking bags for some pretty decent prices!

Sent from my electronical brick via Tap-O-Crap!

I have one I bought at least 10 years ago that has served me well
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 10:14:28 AM »
Just a reminder that when thinking about range bags, bigger is not better.  Bigger is just heavier.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?