Author Topic: FML. I can't take any more.  (Read 3723 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
FML. I can't take any more.
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:10:35 PM »
A bunch of us get together monthly to meet up over dinner.  An "executive committee" came into being to consider possible locations and come to a decision and then announce the location to the rest of the group.

Over the years it's been pretty much a meat&potatos crowd.  Steak houses, neighborhood Italian places, "Chinese" buffet and the like.  The most exotic we ever went to was Golden Corral - they have that Chocolate Wonderfall thing that everybody talked about but refused to try.

So I have been trying to get the executive committee interested in broadening the horizon, so to speak.  One of the other members of the committee has been dragged, several times, by his female shooting buddy, to slurp pho.  He's still not gotten beyond the round steak or the meatballs, but likes the idea of seeing how many of the rest of the group will show up when we announce that soup will be on for our next meeting.  As such, I have been instructed to go check out every pho house in town.

Tonight the task was completed.  I even went to the tiny shacks where if seven people show up at the same time someone is going to have to wait for a space to sit at.  Let me tell you, there are differences in broth and noodles and bean sprouts even before you start putting meat or chicken or fish in the soup.  And every one of the places (except one - they claimed to have none and to have never stocked it) has their own version of nuc mam - some commercial but an awful lot of them home-made.

Even though I have a strong bias in favor of one place*, I have submitted what I think is a fair review of each place, with an accompaning highly biased recommendation for or against.  I even included the availability (or not) of non-soup choices should someone feel they want "real food" instead.  I made a special comment about each place for our Type 2 diabetic who goes out of control just looking at a slice of bread (and steadfaastly refuses to see a doctor).

Apparently I failed to adequately discuss the various pepper concoctions and even if I had I would have failed to compare them to Texas Pete and Tobasco (the latter for those who want to go on the wlld side).  :facepalm:

I have less than a week to go back to all 13 places and do a review of the peppers/hot sauces.  That's pho for lunch and dinner every day - on a regieme of 160 mg lasix twice a day!  I can handle timing the morning dose so I can go for lunch, but putting my evening dose off till after even an early dinner will mean I'm up till the early hours before even daring to go to bed.

FML.

Pray for me.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: FML. I can't take any more.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »
Oh, you poor thing. You get to eat lots of awesome Pho in the name of science. Suck it up buttercup!

That said, yes. I've noticed the same with the variation at different places. We've got three local and each one is quite different. But then, there's lot of differences just naturally between the way this dude or that dudes family has always made it as well as the region they hail from or style they are making. 
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »
Tell him that any place that has Sriracha sauce is adequate and any lack of quality in the pho can be made up for with several doses of Export 33.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:53:28 PM »
Did I mention I hate you?

I've been craving pho all week, and haven't been able to get any. You have been mowing through it in the name of science and now have an excuse for a mulligan.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 10:48:55 PM »
White people problems.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 10:51:58 PM »
White people problems.

I think you've been going to the wrong pho places.....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 11:27:02 PM »
on a regieme of 160 mg lasix twice a day!

Pho or not, that is enough to get an AMEN from me at the end of the prayer for you!!  ;)   =D

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 02:17:01 AM »

I think you've been going to the wrong pho places.....

Never heard of it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 07:56:48 AM »
Pho or not, that is enough to get an AMEN from me at the end of the prayer for you!!  ;)   =D

bob

Whatever you do, do not look up the lasix story.

(Hey!  I warned him! :angel:)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 08:14:07 AM »
I think his complaint is faux.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
I would suggest a length of rubber tubing and a radiator clamp.  Run one end to the toilet and under the lid/seat to hold it place.  Use the radiator clamp to hold the other end in place.  

Problem solved.

Your welcome.

P.S.  We have a Vietnamese restaurant right up the street from me.  Pho on demand.  http://www.yelp.com/biz/luong-loi-wheaton
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:47:31 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 02:18:18 PM »
You may go search for the story about lasix.  May $diety have mercy on you.

stay safe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »
What language is this thread in? I don't grok. ???
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 05:30:55 PM »
What language is this thread in? I don't grok. ???

Vietnamese noodle soup.  With or with or without hot pepper oil and with or without sauce made from a base of fermented fish.  The good stuff has protien from the parts of the beast most folks throw away.  There's a scene in Good Morning Vietnam where Adrian Cronauer is taken to lunch by the brother of the girl he wants to date.  Lunch is a bowl of pho - with pepper!

Yummy.  Looking forward to tonight's excursion - it's to a Thai/Vietnamese mashup place.  American hot or Thai hot?  You guess.

stay safe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »
I made a couple deliveries to a Vietnamese market in S Seattle when I still did the delivery driver thing. The stench coming off of that place made me never want to get near pho.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »
American hot or Thai hot?  You guess.

stay safe.
Local Korean place can run a little hot. But you always know when the owners mom is in town and has decided to help out in the kitchen  :lol:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 08:11:39 PM »
Local Korean place can run a little hot. But you always know when the owners mom is in town and has decided to help out in the kitchen  :lol:

Kimchee!  Home-made kimchee!  As in fermenting in a clay pot buried in the back yard for a few months before being dug out and rotated, then returned to ferment for another few weeks.  Had a Korean lady for a nextdoor neighbor.  When she found out I liked kimchee she hooked me up with 2 quarts a week. =D  Then she found out I like it hot.  Do not drop kimchee from your korean nextdoor neighbor on the varnished teak table on the back deck.  Yes, it looked exactly like the carrtoon - and the stuff that was not dropped was delicious.

stay safe.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »
Kimchee!  Home-made kimchee!  As in fermenting in a clay pot buried in the back yard for a few months before being dug out and rotated, then returned to ferment for another few weeks.  Had a Korean lady for a nextdoor neighbor.  When she found out I liked kimchee she hooked me up with 2 quarts a week. =D  Then she found out I like it hot.  Do not drop kimchee from your korean nextdoor neighbor on the varnished teak table on the back deck.  Yes, it looked exactly like the carrtoon - and the stuff that was not dropped was delicious.

stay safe.
When a Korean asks oyu how hot, never tell them to spice it how they like it unless you know what you're getting yourself in to  =D

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 08:52:51 PM »
Same goes for tandoori.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: Re: FML. I can't take any more.
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
Same goes for tandoori.
Indeed. It burned for a week the last time I did that. I'll spare you the details of where. 

Sent via tapatalk

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »
Just wanted to thank you all for your support and update you on my quest for truth in hot sauce.

After lunch today a decision was reached on where we will go - even though there were still four places remaining on the list to be revisited.

Anybody that will be in Richmond next Tuesday evening is invited to slurp noodles with us.  Bring a baggie to cover your sidearm and a bib for your shirtfront.  Most of those attending have not even heard of pho before this (heathens!) and are the sort of folks who hold chopsticks with two hands.  I am looking forward to at least two of them to stick a straw in the broth rather than mess with that most wonderful flat-botomed soup spoon.

stay safe.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
Indeed. It burned for a week the last time I did that. I'll spare you the details of where.  

It burns going in.  It burns coming out.

I wish there was a place in our little town to get good pho.  The next town over is the closest choice, and SWMBO doesn't care for it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 05:09:55 AM »
AAR.

After much moanig and groaning about everything going to be so different, about 26 folks showed up.  Seems word of mouth got around.   Most were newbies to pho, but willing to try.  We even had some bible tripe to pass around for folks who had never heard of it, let alone thought of intentionally putting it in their mouth and swallowing it.  Maybe two added it to their order.

Lots of folks opting for a fork and spoon over trying to eay noodles with chopsticks.  Wimps!

Did you know Vietnamese coffee works like Ritalin?

stay safe.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 05:31:01 AM »
Ritalin got nothin on Vietnamese coffee

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 07:53:34 AM »
I think his complaint is faux.

This took me a bit to catch.  ???

I hear something like "fuh" with a rising (or "dipping" tone?) .
For a recording, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pho.

The Wikipedia article mentions the existence of stirfried (phở xào) and grilled pho (phở áp chào), has anyone tried those? They sound good since I am not a hot beverage fan, and I feel guilty if I leave too much broth.

As soon as my wife hears of phở with tripe she will be chomping (ouch!) to have some.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell