Author Topic: Medicare gurus needed  (Read 719 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Medicare gurus needed
« on: October 04, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »
I have been asked for advice/suggestions on applying for Medicare, but have no idea what to tell him.  I had Medicare before I got my disability rating.

He will be turning 65 soon, and is 100% disabled per the VA - all care is covered as long as he goes there.  It is doubtful he will be traveling anywhere outside the Richmond metro area which means if he needs to go to the hospital the VA will be requested and if they cannot accomodate him he will be sent elsewhere by them - and will thus pick up the tab until he can be transferred or is discharged before he could transfer.

If he should get more than that, what would be suggested for someone on a small fixed income?  He's looked at some of the Medicare Supplement plans and the premiums would probably cut right down to the bone for discretionary funds.

What, if any, advantage would there be for him to apply for anything except Medicare Part A?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Medicare gurus needed
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 09:46:45 PM »
If he's 100% VA disabled, he should be covered by the VA and do all his routine medical stuff through them.   He should probably sit down with a patient representative from the VA and go over things with them.   The VA, to my knowledge, doesn't routinely transfer patients to other hospitals.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 01:48:24 AM »
If he's 100% VA disabled, he should be covered by the VA and do all his routine medical stuff through them.   He should probably sit down with a patient representative from the VA and go over things with them.   The VA, to my knowledge, doesn't routinely transfer patients to other hospitals.   

Agreed - but sometimes they don't have room to admit someone and diveret them elsewhere.  It happened to me twice for ER services - once I was diverted from the VA ER to another ER, and then admitted - stayed 4 days.  The VA covered all costs.  The second time I was again diverted to another ER, was admitted and stayed 1 day then transferred to the VA for another 2 days.  VA covered all costs again.

Patient reps from the VA tell him about his coverage by the VA but seem unwilling to discuss Medicare (or any other insurance) in terms of answering "should I get it/do I need it if I'm 100% disabled?"  Seems they are afraid of crossing some line related to telling someone what insurance to get or not get.

I'm trying to figure out what care might not be covered by VA that he would need Medicare for.  So far I come up empty - specialty care based on his disability, routine stuff (flu shots, annual check-up), ER care based on his disability or not, and ancillary care (eye exams, dental, podiarty if he gets an ingrown nail & can wait long enough for an appointment) all seem to be available based on his 100% rating.

If that's right, the only reason to sign up for Medicare Part A would be to avoid a penalty for not getting it when he is first eligible - but why would he need it anyhow?  The chance of him losing his disability rating is so close to zero that he possibly could go the rest of his life without applying for it because he "needed" it.

Would the VA be able to pass along some of the costs of care to Medicare if he were hospitalized?

If he also signed up for Part B would they be able to pass some of the medical care costs to Medicare?

(That sounds like just dipping the total cost out of two different taxpayer-filled buckets, plus the expense of figuring out which gets billed for what and for how much.)

Am I missing anything?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 02:00:57 AM »
The VA can't bill Medicare, that whole .gov billing the .gov thing going on.

His best bet is to talk to a benefits rep at the VA. We see tons of people who do not have Part B, yet they have to come to us first (the VA) because they are not always service connected for that particular issue. But, and I am not 100% sure, but with his 100% SC rating, the VA will cover it no matter where he goes first. But he needs to find that out before he makes any decisions on what coverage to get.

bob

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Off on Monday to set up that meetting.  Sounds like there is a chance I will actually learn something, too.

stay safe.