Author Topic: Dayton Ohio now  (Read 8825 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Dayton Ohio now
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 08:34:46 AM »
Sent email to LGS this morning, owned by a friend.  If it's a mag that holds more than 10 rounds, they're out,  and have no estimate as to when more may be available from their distributor.  Hoping to get more Glock mags, and mags for my new Px4.  Guess I'll be shopping online...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »
I ordered a few lancer mags yesterday.  Didn't notice any out of stock issues, but these things can happen fast.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2019, 09:12:47 AM »
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1158330512341164032
Here is Trump's tweet from this morning suggesting "strong background checks" be combined with a border security bill. 

Dan Crenshaw got in on the act talking about Red Flag laws and the TAPS act.
https://twitter.com/RepDanCrenshaw/status/1158059710609788929

I have only heard a little about the TAPS act.  I didn't like what I heard.  Something about the govt setting up a profile of everyone.  Something to look at later.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 09:29:20 AM »
Got to love Vox  (that was sarcasm BTW)

Vox: The Only Way to ‘Do Something’ About Gun Violence is Nationwide Confiscation
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/vox-the-only-way-to-do-something-about-gun-violence-is-nationwide-confiscation/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 09:35:56 AM »
Workplace rumors are that Sherrod Brown's office was conferencing with other Dems yesterday, and they have goals in mind as follows:

1. Universal background checks, with a required check for ammo purchases
2. AWB, with assault weapon defined as a center fire semi-auto rifle.  Period.  Some discussion of including handguns capable of using magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of center fire ammunition.  Also talk of a no grandfather clause. with a ban on possession/mandatory buy backs.
3. 10 round mag cap.
4. Ban on internet sales of firearms and ammunition.
5. Federal "red flag" law
6. Ban on civilian possession of body armor
7. Ammunition sale cap.  100 rounds per month of centerfire ammunition.  Which would only work if they create a tracking registry with the background checks...

Word is that the Rs are open to negotiation on some of these, notably background checks (for guns and ammo), AWB, red flag, and mag limits.
I'll share more as I listen...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 09:39:57 AM »
Winchester 94 -- the original assault rifle

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-94.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 10:00:51 AM »

Dan Crenshaw got in on the act talking about Red Flag laws and the TAPS act.
https://twitter.com/RepDanCrenshaw/status/1158059710609788929

This is where I get worried that it's not just short term reaction. Usually immediately after one of these, the dems call for crazy bans and (most of) the Rs talk about how we already have laws that address the issue. When you have people like Crenshaw talking about "doing something", you can bet that it's Rs circling their political wagons and strategizing for election time.

We always mention here that whatever else you can say about the dems, when their leadership tells them to circle the wagons, most of them do it, while Rs don't do that because they are too diverse and independent-minded. It will be somewhat infuriating if the one time the Rs all come together for political expediency, that it will be for gun control.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2019, 10:21:00 AM »
They showed the shooter's gun in the video below, including a closeup that showed an Anderson lower. Hopefully we won't be hearing "ghost gun".

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6068227076001/#sp=show-clips
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2019, 10:37:50 AM »
This is where I get worried that it's not just short term reaction. Usually immediately after one of these, the dems call for crazy bans and (most of) the Rs talk about how we already have laws that address the issue. When you have people like Crenshaw talking about "doing something", you can bet that it's Rs circling their political wagons and strategizing for election time.

We always mention here that whatever else you can say about the dems, when their leadership tells them to circle the wagons, most of them do it, while Rs don't do that because they are too diverse and independent-minded. It will be somewhat infuriating if the one time the Rs all come together for political expediency, that it will be for gun control.
I think Crenshaw was already supporting some version of the red flag laws and the TAPS act.  I don't think it is new for him, just the first time I have ever heard him mention it. 

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
I think Crenshaw was already supporting some version of the red flag laws and the TAPS act.  I don't think it is new for him, just the first time I have ever heard him mention it. 

Yes, he has.  I saw a piece on that a few months ago.  The TAPS act is garbage and should be thrown away along with the PATRIOT act.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2019, 11:41:17 AM »
President Trump Demands the Death Penalty For Mass Shooters, White Supremacists Who Commit Hate Crimes
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2019/08/05/trump-gun-control-speech-n2551163
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 12:03:41 PM »
7:02 a.m. on August 5. HLN reporting that Trump is tweeting his support for universal background checks and other gun control measures so the dead didn't "die in vain."

Cue panic buying in 3....2....1....

*expletive deleted*ck 'em.

I had time before I deployed to start doing basic function testing on my 100% home made 30 rd mag. I got several hundred rounds through it with no malfunctions. Officially, it's just for grins, but Defense Distributed has a point.

3D printed the mag body, base plate, and follower. 3D printed the form for the spring, and wound it out of spring wire sourced online.

I'm self sufficient on AR mags now.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 12:10:16 PM »
Winchester 94 -- the original assault rifle

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-94.html

I've generally preferred Marlins.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 03:55:58 PM »
I wonder how close we are to the Matthew Bracken moment where we tip over the legislative edge into an eventual total ban on firearms ownership.  In his books it occurred over the span of several years with increasing numbers and types of firearms being prohibited for civilian ownership after the first bans were put in place.  IIRC, civilians were allowed to own only single shot rimfires and shotguns.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 04:15:42 PM »
I wonder how close we are to the Matthew Bracken moment where we tip over the legislative edge into a total ban on firearms ownership.  In his books it occurred over the span of several years with increasing numbers and types of firearms being prohibited for civilian ownership.

I've run through that thought process as well.  And so have a lot of Dem strategists.  Their problem is that there are now a series of cases where the courts have upheld the rights of individuals to own firearms, with Heller being the most famous.  So, should they just introduce a bill to outright ban firearms ownership/possession, given the state of the case law, it would get knocked down as unconstitutional fairly quickly.  And, because it is a constitutional rights issue, an action to seek declaratory judgment would work. In other words, a citizen could file the suit to have such a law declared unconstitutional, and not have to wait for someone to be arrested and charged for the case to go through the process. 

Their only recourse would be a repeal of 2A.  So,either get the measure approved by a 2/3 majority in both the House and Senate. or call for a Constitutional Convention (which has never successfully been done).  The measure then goes on the ballots of all 50 states .  To be successful, they have to pass the measure in 3/4 of the states.  38 states have to approve of the measure to work.  Now, I'm sure we can name states where it would pass, no problem.  And states where it would fail, no problem.  As soon as it fails in 13 states, it's dead.

Until they try to change the amendment process, like they are talking about eliminating the Electoral College...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 04:44:57 PM »
Also, the smart  legislators are being a little careful. Folks are much more litigious now, and there is case law on individual ownership.

Remember,  Miller said that the NFA was constitutional because the SBS in question wasn't useful in the militia.  Specifically they said:
In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense.

The implication being that if it HAD been of use in the militia for common defense,  it may have been protected. (Note I said may)

I think smart dems are as leery of bring an AR before the court while an M4 is THE weapon in use for common defense.

They are as leery of rolling the dice on SCOTUS as we were before Heller.

So lots of smoke and fire. Background check. Mag limits. Maybe "pistol" braces. But they (the smart ones) don't want to give us a hill to live or die on. (Metaphorically)

I also suspect they know they can expect ban compliance numbers lower than Australia and New Zealand's,  which brings up the "now what" question.

The more ideological dems, or the dumber ones, haven't made those calculations,  but the career Dems, I think, have.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2019, 04:48:23 PM »
Go home, Joe, and take your meds:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/confusion-biden-offers-sympathy-for-the-tragic-events-in-houston-today-and-also-in-michigan

Biden, 76, mistakenly referred to the shootings as “the tragic events in Houston today and also in Michigan the day before," but later corrected himself, according to a pool report. Biden seemingly confused Houston for El Paso and Michigan for Ohio when speaking to donors about the shootings.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »
Go home, Joe, and take your meds:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/confusion-biden-offers-sympathy-for-the-tragic-events-in-houston-today-and-also-in-michigan

I'm starting to think someone is putting something in his Ensure. Seems like he was fine then not overnight.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2019, 05:36:16 PM »
NYT Opinion page on the shootings. I expect this kind of smarmy language to be the norm as this progresses. Instead of "far right El Paso" and "far left Dayton", it's "Far right nutjob in El Paso and some unknown generic guy in Dayton".

The right-wing political extremist who gunned down nearly two dozen people at an El Paso Walmart on Saturday and the man who shot and killed nine people only hours later in a downtown area of Dayton, Ohio, both unleashed their savage attacks thanks to military-style rifles. Just as culpable for the carnage, however, were the large-capacity magazines that enabled these shooters to discharge many rounds of ammo without reloading.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/opinion/dayton-gun-laws-shooting.html

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2019, 05:46:19 PM »
And they're beating this drum again
Lies are truth, just ask Orwell

Shortly after taking office, President Trump quietly rolled back an Obama-era, post-Sandy Hook massacre regulation that would have made it harder for people with mental illness to buy guns. https://t.co/mtZ0uF8vdd

— NBC News (@NBCNews) August 5, 2019
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/08/05/every-time-blue-checks-and-firefighters-re-up-lie-about-trump-admin-making-it-easier-for-severely-mentally-ill-people-to-buy-guns/
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »
https://start.att.net/news/read/article/the_associated_press-classmates_ohio_shooter_kept_a_hit_list_and_a_rape-ap/category/news
High school classmates of the gunman who killed nine people in Dayton, Ohio, say he was suspended years ago for compiling a "hit list" and a "rape list," and questioned how he could have been allowed to buy the military-style weapon used in this weekend's attack.

Sounds like the Ohio case was the usual case of a person who is pretty crazy already but managed to avoid doing anything that would get him on the prohibited list.  I wonder what else he did that was ignored. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2019, 08:49:36 PM »
Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Booker: I Don’t Welcome Trump’s Statement on Condemning Bigotry – Healing Starts With Saying ‘I’ve Made Mistakes’
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019/08/05/booker-i-dont-welcome-trumps-statement-on-condemning-bigotry-healing-starts-with-saying-ive-made-mistakes/

And this one
If he doesn't go to El Paso the Dems will then say he doesn't care

Beto O’Rourke Tells Trump: Stay out of El Paso
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/08/05/beto-orourke-calls-on-trump-not-to-visit-el-paso-he-has-no-place-here/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2019, 09:00:28 PM »
Just for a light-hearted breather amid the politics and anxiety:

I don't know if O'Neill really is for banning violent video games or was just trolling, but his burn on this guy is hilarious.  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/08/05/talk-of-banning-violent-video-games-leads-to-best-own-of-2019/

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2019, 12:58:14 AM »
Just for a light-hearted breather amid the politics and anxiety:

I don't know if O'Neill really is for banning violent video games or was just trolling, but his burn on this guy is hilarious.  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/08/05/talk-of-banning-violent-video-games-leads-to-best-own-of-2019/

Brevity is the soul of burn.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife