Author Topic: Dorcas Reilly dead at age 92  (Read 505 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Dorcas Reilly dead at age 92
« on: October 24, 2018, 10:08:56 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/24/us/dorcas-reilly-green-bean-casserole-trnd/index.html

Dorcas Reilly worked for the Campbell soup company and invented the green bean casserole in 1955.  I love green bean casserole and make it every Thanksgiving, even if I am the only person who eats it.  I will pour out a can of Campbell's mushroom soup on the curb in her honor.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Dorcas Reilly dead at age 92
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 03:20:35 AM »
A Midwest regular item at potlucks.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 06:16:25 AM »
the inventor of 'almost home made' food.  lol   

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »
That was on my family's table at the holidays any number of times.

A few years ago Alton Brown reinvented the green bean casserole to get away from the canned and processed stuff. https://altonbrown.com/best-ever-green-bean-casserole-recipe/

I've never tried it, but it looks really good, and Alton has never steered me wrong with one of his recipes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 09:57:40 AM »
Always hated the taste and texture of Green Bean Casserole growing up. Had no idea there were people who love it.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 10:04:35 AM »
Always hated the taste and texture of Green Bean Casserole growing up. Had no idea there were people who love it.

Green bean casserole is one of my favorite sides at the holidays.

It's especially good with some cauliflower and/or broccoli added in.

Rest in Peace Mrs. Reilly.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 10:06:30 AM »

For sure.
Locally, its usually a mix of hamburger/cheese/mushroom soup mix/french cut green beans/topped with tater tots/onions (optional), which is way better than the original recipe.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 10:09:14 AM »
Rest in peace, kind lady. You made many a memorable holiday, special occasion, or simple community meal a little more tasty.

My family loves the stuff, me included. At one point there would be four pots of it on the table for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and we still usually ran out. Of course, we were country folk so casseroles and similar fare were pretty much a staple. Church lunches were usually several bowls of fried chicken, a meat loaf or two, and a couple dozen casseroles.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 10:09:28 AM »
"It's especially good with some cauliflower and/or broccoli added in."

I've often substituted broccoli for the green beans and had a very tasty side dish.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »

I am right there with you, how did it ever get so popular or is it just a holiday tradition that people feel they need to make so they can later scrape it into the trash?

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »
"how did it ever get so popular"

Because people like it, and eat it...

History is littered with recipes that various food companies thought were a good idea at the time, but which either never caught on, or which didn't survive changing sensibilities regarding diet or the like.

Here's a good example...

In the days before air conditioning became widespread there were LOTS of recipes that were intended to be served cold in summer. Jello even came out with a recipe book called Cooking with Cold to capitalize on the spread of electric refrigerators -- that's where a lot of the various molded jello salads (fruit, vegetables, and even meat) came from.

As A/C became widespread, a lot of the old summer recipes that were once very popular began to fade away.

I grew up in a house without A/C, and summer could be tough. My Mom frequently made jello salads, pasta salads, etc., for summer. They were filling, they were light, and they were good.

Of all of those old recipes, though, the only ones that I still make myself (even though I have central air) are either ripe tomatoes or ripe cucumbers stuffed with tuna or chicken salad and served chilled.

Recipes like the green bean casserole were really no different in that they originated to meet the social needs of the time AND were designed to flog a company's products. In the post-war era, though, it was all about convenience food because more women were working jobs AND taking care of the kids at home.

There are tons of "classic" casserole recipes from the time that were nothing more than a bunch of canned or frozen ingredients combined and heated (or chilled). Kids then grew up on them, and carried those into their adult lives. Some, like the green bean casserole, had staying power. Other's are nothing more than culinary footnotes.