Author Topic: Operation Bright Eyes - tattle tale utility workers spying on customers  (Read 26211 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Operation Bright Eyes - tattle tale utility workers spying on customers
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »
What everybody here seems to be ignoring is that, anytime you let a person into your house, they can report anything they see to the Feds, the local PD, or the crackhead down the street.  I'd be willing to bet the crackhead pays better anyway.  If you don't like the idea, don't leave stuff out where they can see it.

When I was a service tech, and a couple of other jobs that required going through every nook and cranny of people's houses, we reported child abuse, animal abuse, and that was about it.  OTOH, there was no way the company could stop us from reporting anything we found suspicious to the proper authorities, who would then have the option of following up on it or not.  Frankly, even with my detailed inspections it wouldn't be hard for someone wih two brain cells to rub together to come up with several hundred cubic feet worth of places I still wouldn't need to look in the average house.

Now, as for false reports, IMO those should be handled as harshly as possible, but legitimate reports have been happening for a long time and will continue to happen.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2008, 12:36:39 PM »
on the sub, sub topic of being seemingly condescending to "sixth grade" cable guys, let me reiterate, I was one!
except that I got my GED from uncle sam in 1978 at ft Gordon.

Some of my fellow cable guys were really smart tech wise but couldn't stop injecting illegal opiate products, others were alkies but unlike moi, they were not in AA.

Of the 20 I worked with 3 or 4 were normal non drug/alky regular joes.
Of the substance abusers, most were pretty dumb, but there were a few really smart criminals in the group.

I don't know, do you want a smart criminal or a dumb one messing with your modem?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2008, 02:35:25 PM »
I made damned good money as a Dish Network installer, but it ended up being 7 days a week with the ungawdly amount of overtime.  The NFL Network monopoly made us very popular in rural Wisconsin.

Climbing icy roofs to install the dishes, as well as breaking frozen ground to put dish masts up and trenching the cables, was the straw that broke this camel's back.

I'll never forget what I learned, and what I saw in the 3 or more installs I did each day.  I remember one old fellow who left the house totally untouched for a year after his wife died, as if she was going to come back any day.

There were some homes I wanted to make a return appointment to, just to bring a shop vac and some disinfectant. 

The one residence that reminded me of a head shop would've been sad, had it not been so funny - right down to the offer of some bud as I'm trying to snake coax through a false ceiling in the basement.  I politely declined. 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:41:04 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

crawdaddyjim

• Alien
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »
Or electricity? Or gas?

You do know that if gas service is interrupted, a gas person has to come in to do the water heater and all, right?

Nope, He does have to do a leak test. If it passes and you want to light your own pilots there isn't anything he can do about it.

Jim

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
You forgot to ask him if he wanted fries with that.

? =| ?
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2008, 11:59:50 AM »
wrt making cable guys angry, they can turn off the cable for an entire neighborhood in less then ten minutes.

Really?

Where do I sign up to get them to do that?  =D
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2008, 02:02:25 AM »
Can't be true.  I was reliably informed by our media TIA program (DoD) was strangled in the crib by our protectors in congress.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:56:45 AM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2008, 02:05:51 AM »
Can't be ture.  I was reliably informed by our media TIA program (DoD) was strangled in the crib by our protectors in congress.

It's a trick. Get an ax.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner