Author Topic: Google's Nightwatch  (Read 891 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Google's Nightwatch
« on: April 17, 2018, 09:31:16 AM »
I just read a story about the head of Google's privacy and crypto division. The division is named "Nightwatch".

I suppose it depends on your age and frame of reference, but Nightwatch to me relates to Babylon 5, and is thus ironic considering what has been going on regarding privacy with Google et al.

Some of the comments to the article said that Google emploees watched too many episodes of Babylon 5 (and I guess a lot more people than me made that connection).  I would submit that they didn't watch enough of them.  :)

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

slugcatcher

• friend
Re: Google's Nightwatch
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »
B5 was the first thing I thought of as well.  I don't doubt it where the name came from either.  Says a lot about the employees and the company if true.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 11:08:31 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:16:53 AM »
IS B5 available for streaming anywhere?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »
IS B5 available for streaming anywhere?

It was available on Netflix a couple of years ago, but it now only appears to be available on something called Go90.

I have the DVDs and did a whole two week binge of the series, movies, and Crusade last year. It's just a great story, especially given the low budget they had and the way they were getting screwed by the networks. The "five year arc" was ahead of its time. Sadly, the lack of network support kinda screwed with the last couple of seasons, which could have been better.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 11:27:42 AM »
It was available on Netflix a couple of years ago, but it now only appears to be available on something called Go90.

I have the DVDs and did a whole two week binge of the series, movies, and Crusade last year. It's just a great story, especially given the low budget they had and the way they were getting screwed by the networks. The "five year arc" was ahead of its time. Sadly, the lack of network support kinda screwed with the last couple of seasons, which could have been better.

Wiki of Go90...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go90  It is a free ad-support service from Verizon.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 11:29:35 AM »
That's what I thought, too.

Spiffy uniforms.  Wear your armband.  Report any suspicious activity to the political officer.

(I always thought the progression of Nightwatch through the series was interesting.  Starts low key with nice people, ends with 3 thuggish sociopaths in the lower decks.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 11:48:44 AM »
At least they didn't go with Nacht and Nebel.   For now....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 07:57:08 PM »
Is there a link to the article?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 08:32:31 PM »
And here I was hoping they were sent to the frozen wastes to preform their privacy invasions and forbidden to breed..
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.