Author Topic: Question about depicted Iraqi insurgent fighting...  (Read 7309 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Question about depicted Iraqi insurgent fighting...
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 03:31:32 PM »
"Education" and "sense" are not the same thing.  Neither are "education" and "decency".

Some of the least sensible, least moral people I've known have been highly educated.  The education seems to provide them an outlet to rationalize some pretty terrible things.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 03:59:15 PM »
I'll never forget the story about the bunch of guys with Doctorates and double Doctorates in things like Humanities and Psychology who sat around a table together and planned the systematic slaughter of ~ 11 million Jews.  Not one of them stops to say, "Does anyone think maybe this is wrong?" The thought has always boggled my mind.

Many of them had that thought, and for whatever reason did not/could not act on it.

If I ever become an evil, genocidal tyrant, I'm hiring you as my public relations handler....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 04:20:21 PM »
I'll never forget the story about the bunch of guys with Doctorates and double Doctorates in things like Humanities and Psychology who sat around a table together and planned the systematic slaughter of ~ 11 million Jews.  Not one of them stops to say, "Does anyone think maybe this is wrong?" The thought has always boggled my mind.

Many of them had that thought, and for whatever reason did not/could not act on it.

If I ever become an evil, genocidal tyrant, I'm hiring you as my public relations handler....

Huh?

I'm saying they knew it was wrong and did it anyway, not that there was some excuse?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »

Huh?

I'm saying they knew it was wrong and did it anyway, not that there was some excuse?

So, wuh? You don't want the job? laugh
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »

So, wuh? You don't want the job? laugh

No thanks-I had the fair market value of my soul appraised recently, and I'm holding out for a better offer Smiley.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 12:23:38 AM »

No thanks-I had the fair market value of my soul appraised recently, and I'm holding out for a better offer Smiley.

Too bad...you really have some talent in that regard....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 02:22:58 AM »
"Education" and "sense" are not the same thing.  Neither are "education" and "decency".
I guess that would explain Frank Zappa too.  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 07:46:52 AM »

I thought that, at first.

But then I realized it wasn't really that shocking that the governing clique of a totalitarian empire could think like that.

What I think is far more disturbing is when you consider that it would all have come to nothing, without the thousands and thousands of other people who willingly went along with it, or stood by and did nothing.

But what shocked me most of all was to learn how many of the victims had, for example, turned up on time at the railway stations to board the trains that they knew were taking them to the death camps.  (And I mean knew.  I'm not talking about at the start, when no-one knew what was really going on, and could conceivably think/convince themselves that they were just being resettled.  I'm talking about later, when it was well known what was happening at the end, and huge numbers of people still let themselves be taken away without a struggle).