Author Topic: Laws of physics need not apply  (Read 2819 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Laws of physics need not apply
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:36:48 PM »
I stumbled across an advertisement that sent me to this link: http://www.stealthir.com/index.html

Watch the videos about halfway down the page of the gun with the recoil insert being fired compared to the gun without the recoil insert being fired.

I'm not going to spoil it for you.  Does this video support their claim?

(I'm still chuckling over it a bit)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Laws of physics need not apply
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »
I saw it before.  Still have no idea what the secret ingredient is, or how it works.  All I know for sure is that if it's too complicated - or too simple - to be described, it's probably fueled by snake oil.

Has anybody, anywhere, actually bought one of the gizmos?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:26:08 PM »
Does the "insert" happen to be an under/light-loaded cartridge?  =D

note how the spent shell isn't ejected. if you can get 9 shots on target with that insert, you'll be doing some mad-fast tap-rack-banging...

TMM

EDIT: looked at the rest of this guy's website... who is this guy? there's tons of other BS stuff on there...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:35:17 PM by TMM »

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:14:46 AM »
As TMM said, in the one hand firing with "insert" video, the slide doesn't cycle as evidenced by the hammer staying down after the shot.

9 shots in 3 seconds is quite possible with no insert.  It's just a 9mm, hardly a heavy recoil round.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 12:23:39 PM »
Snake oil.  Like Griz said, the "insert" vid shows no slide movement or cartridge ejection.  A 9mm, short-stoked and topped with a light slug (85gr) will produce negligible recoil.

9 shots in three seconds is actually pretty slow.  I haven't shot competition in years and I can still empty a fifteen round mag out of my XD9 in just under three seconds.  They aren't grouped as tight as you see in the vid, but they are still on target.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »
Does the "insert" happen to be an under/light-loaded cartridge?  =D
I was thinking primer-only.
note how the spent shell isn't ejected. if you can get 9 shots on target with that insert, you'll be doing some mad-fast tap-rack-banging...
I emailed him a while back to ask why the slide didn't operate, but didn't get a response.
EDIT: looked at the rest of this guy's website... who is this guy? there's tons of other BS stuff on there...
What?  You don't believe his cloaking system is real?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
9 shots in three seconds is actually pretty slow.
Didn't Jerry Miculek do 12 in 3 seconds from a revolver - including reload?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 03:33:11 PM »
Yes, Jerry did.  Amazing vid.  Looked like a blur, sounded like 2 short bursts from a submachine gun. All 12 shots in the kill zone at 7 yards.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 03:43:16 PM »
Jerry Miculek

Good stuff.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Actually, if it's the video I'm thinking of, it was 16 rounds.  he was shooting an 8 round revolver.  8rds, reload, and 8 more in 2.99 seconds.  Absolutely amazing video.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 08:15:27 PM »
What?  You don't believe his cloaking system is real?

I believe if you put a garbage bag over your head, and the bag is the same color as the grass on which you are standing, then you have camo of a sort.

I also believe that people who pay big bucks to buy a garbage bag just because the seller calls it technology.... well lets just say I have a bridge for sale.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Gentlemen, we have found Lee L. Mercer Jr.

This device prevents midair collision and alerts on worldwide crashes 2 minutes before they happen and send crash site images for emergency help to the urvivors..   

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:51:59 PM »
I see the OP was posted on April 2 - could the linked website have gone up the day before?   =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 08:59:41 AM »
On the pistols, I was just looking at the blast effect out the barrel.  It is obviously downloaded ammo. 

Is this guy trying to sell stuff or just putting a bunch of crazy stuff on a web site? 

On the stealth cammo, something tells me that if deer or other animals see a 6 foot tall wall of grass moving toward them, they look on it with a bit of concern.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 01:45:42 PM »
On the stealth cammo, something tells me that if deer or other animals see a 6 foot tall wall of grass moving toward them, they look on it with a bit of concern.

Just an aside, but camo works fine when you're not moving. 

Hell, even blaze orange works fine when hunting color-blind deer.

Just don't move in an obvious fashion - their visual acuity for movement is incredible. 

That's a trick hunters in my neck of the woods have know for gawd knows how long.

It doesn't mean you cannot stalk your quarry, just that you can't be blatant in the process.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 11:45:11 PM »
True.  You can even walk on past deer and they won't move away as long as you don't stare at them or move toward them.  I just got through reading a copy of Aagaard's African Adventures and he mentioned using similar tactics if the prey spotted them.  Lots of good stuff in that book. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 06:00:22 PM »
I see the OP was posted on April 2 - could the linked website have gone up the day before?   =D
Could be.  The ad is still up here: http://www.defensereview.com/

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 12:41:25 AM »
For the record - That Dr. Z ain't me.
D. R. ZINN