Author Topic: A Question for the Lawyers??  (Read 2483 times)

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
A Question for the Lawyers??
« on: February 18, 2009, 08:11:04 PM »
How the heck does a person, here in this country illegally, trespassing, vandalizing property, even have STANDING to bring forth a lawsuit against a citizen defending his property??
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: A Question for the Lawyers??
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 08:15:46 PM »
Crap!

I was going to say something in answer to the "standing" question as asked, but decided it is a waste of time to discuss politics in the roundtable.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »
Silly skidmark.  It's not politics.   :angel:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »
How the heck does a person, here in this country illegally, trespassing, vandalizing property, even have STANDING to bring forth a lawsuit against a citizen defending his property??

The argument is that the "crime" occurred in the US, therefore the case has standing in the US.  Most likely. 

The Mexican government pressuring our government had absolutely nothing to do with the situation. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »
Without going into great detail, "standing" basically requires that you have been or will be harmed by something that the court you have chosen has jurisdiction over and that a decision by such court in your favor will redress your harm ("fix your problem") to some degree.  In most cases, standing is easily satisfied, but can be tricky in constitutional challenges.  I'll let the current law students discuss it more, if they want.

I'm not sure if you have a particular case in mind, but to answer what I think you're asking about, filing a civil suit against someone in, say, a Texas District Court, is generally not affected by being an illegal immigrant or having been accused of, arrested for, or even convicted of a crime.  As long as you have an "injury", one or more causes of action that fit, meet the amount in controversy, venue and any bond requirements, you're probably good to go.

Being here illegally has nothing to do with it.  Bringing up the issue as the defense is a good way to get your ass slapped on appeal, should you win at trial.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:24:15 AM by crt360 »
For entertainment purposes only.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »
I was referring to the case in Arizona, Barnett, the rancher, getting sued by the illegal aliens and them winning, at least to a small extent. They were awarded some $78K for "assault" and I think "false imprisonment". Just don't seem "right" to me that these criminals could bring a suit against someone merely protecting their property and holding them until the police/ border patrol arrived.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:14:06 PM »
Oh, it isn't "right". But right and reality are two very different things these days.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 12:32:27 AM »
I did a little work with Chris Simcox before the whole Minuteman hoopla. We were not legally allowed to tell the illegals we caught to stop. Because telling them to stop would be imprisoning them. :rolleyes:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 06:05:47 AM »
did he lose his most recent case?  or are you refering to the last time? when the jury found him guilty of 14 of 15 counts. and the folks were citizens of the usa?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 06:17:57 AM »
did he lose his most recent case?  or are you refering to the last time? when the jury found him guilty of 14 of 15 counts. and the folks were citizens of the usa?

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2009/02/roger_barnett_c_1.php
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner