Author Topic: Door ding  (Read 5070 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Door ding
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 07:20:32 PM »
If there is a small dent, most cities have some variant of on-the-spot dent remover. Around here their trucks say "Dent Wiz" and they have an 800 phone number. Less common, but growing I think, is a comparable service for when there's no dent but small chips in the paint. I think they are called (cleverly) "Paint Wiz." Much cheaper than allowing a body shop to repaint the entire door to fix one microscopic chip.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 07:35:02 PM »
I'll still be able to look at myself in the morning knowing that I'm a good man - and this is more important then my checkbook.

I agree, you can't put a price on self respect. Autozone sells touchup paint that matches OEM colors, IIRC. I didn't notice a difference on my civic at least. If the damage is realively minor that could be an option.

Personally if I were the owner, I would be comfortable with that. This type of damage is expected.

If the owner feels like throwing a hissy fit over the ordeal, don't be afraid to ask me for help, if there is anything I can do.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 09:34:55 PM »
Whatever it is, it is.  It is my understanding that my insurance will cover anything over $500, but I'm not sure how that works as I was not the driver, and the car wasn't mine.

Insurance follows the car, so if the guy wants to file a claim, your friend's carrier would be primary coverage for it. That being said, if he goes through you directly, then they don't have to know.

Give it 30 days or so. If he doesn't get in touch, you should be fine.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 10:36:05 PM »
What's a little paint touch-up run?  $100?

my neighbors son threw a rock at some kids near my car.  he threw it so hard that it bounced off my car and landed on the other neighbors roof about 100 ft away.  when i asked him about it he said it wasn't his fault "'cause they ducked".   =D  the rock left a half dollar sized ding in the edge of the roof panel.  his dad gave me $250 for the damage.  i took it to a good repair shop (where they could do a clearcoat finish), and after 5 years i still can't see the difference.  they only charged me $150, so i gave the $100 back to the dad.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2