Author Topic: On Bread Bags  (Read 2312 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On Bread Bags
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:20:37 AM »
I thought this was a good read, putting the whole Joni Ernst "bread bag" comment into perspective.

I certainly remember having just a pair of "Sunday shoes" and a pair of tennis shoes as a little kid in the 60's. Also, every Christmas my dad talks about how their Christmas present as kids would be an orange. I grew up middle class here, and my parents, though poor compared to Americans of the time, were fairly middle class in the old country, having a house and 20 or so acres to make a living from.

Even our EBT people are currently living a life of luxury compared to the middle class of just 50 years ago.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-01-29/joni-ernst-s-bread-bags-and-economic-progress?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=dGg7uC&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter#!dGg7uC
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
Re: On Bread Bags
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:44:10 AM »
When my father was a small child, not only did they not have electricity or running water, they didn't even have an outhouse.  They went up behind the rocks on the mountain.  Fortunately, when he was in his early teens, they were able to build a modern house and things improved a lot.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:27:12 AM »
When my father was a small child, not only did they not have electricity or running water, they didn't even have an outhouse.  They went up behind the rocks on the mountain.  Fortunately, when he was in his early teens, they were able to build a modern house and things improved a lot.

Heh, my parents always argued about who had the better deal when growing up. My mom's family had an outhouse. My dad's family had basically an "indoor outhouse" - a primitive version of those composting toilets that are so popular in the tiny home and off-grid cultures now. My mom always said that they may have had to walk out in the snow to use the outhouse, but at least they didn't poop where they slept. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »
I like Megan McArdle a lot, but that's rather missing the point. If your political strategy is "Say something that estranges voters, then criticize voters for not getting how great your statement was" then you're probably not going to enjoy much electoral success. See Romney, Mitt and his %47 line.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:56:04 PM »
I remember wearing bread bags inside our shoes/boots to help keep our feet dry in the winter.  I didn't think it was that odd as everyone in our neighborhood did.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 01:18:56 PM »
I wore bread bags over my shoes back in the day.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 02:48:06 PM »
Joni Ernst is a rising star, someone who got where is by hard work and her own personal drive. This pisses the left off, so they are going to try their best to discredit her.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 02:52:24 PM »
I like Megan McArdle a lot, but that's rather missing the point. If your political strategy is "Say something that estranges voters, then criticize voters for not getting how great your statement was" then you're probably not going to enjoy much electoral success. See Romney, Mitt and his %47 line.

I don't think Jodi Ernst estranged the voters she was targeting. I think she estranged the east coast liberal media who would have found something else to mock her about. (See: Jindal, Bobby. If you can't criticize the speech, criticize the person.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »
Joni Ernst is only 44 years old but she grow up in one of the more poorer rural areas of Iowa.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »
I don't think Jodi Ernst estranged the voters she was targeting. I think she estranged the east coast liberal media who would have found something else to mock her about. (See: Jindal, Bobby. If you can't criticize the speech, criticize the person.)

If she's appealing to the voting segment that groks her reference, then she's making a political mistake.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »
Joni Ernst is a rising star, someone who got where is by hard work and her own personal drive. This pisses the left off, so they are going to try their best to discredit her.

Didn't you have some harsh thing to say about her pig castration campaign ad, or am I misremembering?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 03:58:47 PM »
Didn't you have some harsh thing to say about her pig castration campaign ad, or am I misremembering?

I don't remember, let me check.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=44437.msg909278#msg909278

I called her the pig castrator (because of the commercials), and I wasn't her biggest fan at the time because I was pulling for a different candidate in the primary. At the time of the primary, the local polls was showing the democrat candidate beating every GOP by at least 10%, she being one to lose even more than that.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:11:25 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 10:30:58 PM »
Do you think her opponent's "They are even lawyers!!!" comment to the Trial Lawyers at their fundraiser hurt him more  Or did Joni Ernst run a good campaign that Iowa voters connected with ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 10:34:05 PM »
Do you think her opponent's "They are even lawyers!!!" comment to the Trial Lawyers at their fundraiser hurt him more  Or did Joni Ernst run a good campaign that Iowa voters connected with ?

She connected with a lot of voters. Braley was a pompous ahole who pretty much felt he was going to be crowned victor.

Probably dodged a future bullet with Joni winning.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 12:37:31 PM »
Holy cow(pig) now they are polling if she'd make a presidential candidate!!!

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/iowa-poll/2015/02/05/joni-ernst-takes-president/22896413/

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 02:05:04 PM »
Holy cow(pig) now they are polling if she'd make a presidential candidate!!!

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/iowa-poll/2015/02/05/joni-ernst-takes-president/22896413/

Know nothing about her but I have met many regular folks in Iowa with a lot of sense.  But, 2-year senator to POTUS is a stretch, especially after BHO.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »
Know nothing about her but I have met many regular folks in Iowa with a lot of sense.  But, 2-year senator to POTUS is a stretch, especially after BHO.

She is a fast rising star, and it sells news right now. I'm pretty certain she isn't going to run for POTUS in 2016.

Uranus is a gas giant.