Author Topic: GOP 2012 ticket prediction  (Read 48019 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: GOP 2012 ticket prediction
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
The fact that Muslims fight each other does not change the fact that Islam cannot co-exist, except uncomfortably, with Non-Islam.  All you're saying is that Muslims cannot get along--with anyone.  Is part of this the fact that they're human beings?  Yeah, definitely, but culture and ideology matter, culture and ideology shape and dispose.  When you begin with an all-powerful Deity whose actions are arbitrary, unquestionable, and all-controlling, your culture tends to take a certain path...

Muslim wage wars. So does everybody else. Waging wars on an interminnent basis is the general state of mankind, for generations of generations. You are implying that Islam is somehow inherently 'worse' than every other form of religion, posing a civilizational threat.

Which "Teuton invasion" are you referring to?  We keep coming back to the fact that no one is fighting wars in the name of Jesus Christ any more.  "Deus Vult" is history.  Would that we could say that about the battle-cry of "Allah u akbar!"

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »
Micro, did you think those pictures would prove something? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »
Micro, did you think those pictures would prove something? ???

That people still invoke Christianity in the modern day to wage wars. This does not mean that Christianity is the motive behind those wars, nor does it mean Christianity is bad. People like believing that God is on their side.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »
The distinction argued here, I think, is that Muslims engage in violence with Islam as its basis, not merely invoking divine protection while fighting about something else.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2011, 03:20:14 PM »
The distinction argued here, I think, is that Muslims engage in violence with Islam as its basis, not merely invoking divine protection while fighting about something else.

The distinction argued here is that longeyes argues that we are a weakened civilization in a state of moral decline struggling against an assault by a giant force of Islam. I argue that we are strong in every sense - financially, morally, militarily - waging war against terrorist organizations and a few rogue states that back them for religious and political reasons. Our enemies are evil, yet incompetent and morally weak.

A civilization morally weak and unsure of its superiority would never have produced the United States Marines, the Russian VDV, or the British SAS. Even Israel's Tzanhanim, Givati, Golani are still the incredible superiors of our enemies in Lebanon, Syria, and Gaza. This isn't a coincidence.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2011, 03:36:43 PM »
I appreciate your optimism. I confess I don't particularly share it. I might agree that radical Islam isn't the ultimate threat we face, but the moral and economic decline are evident. The fact that we (the west generally) are still militarily and technologically preeminent doesn't mean we will remain so under progressive moral and economic deterioration.

The current economic and long-term debt situation/debate in the U.s. is illustrative. The house is actively engaged in a fire. The occupants are either: oblivious, in willful denial of the fire, or arguing about using a garden hose or fire extinguisher to fight it. Meanwhile, the fire department is engaged in sensitivity training and unavailable.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »

The distinction argued here is that longeyes argues that we are a weakened civilization in a state of moral decline struggling against an assault by a giant force of Islam. I argue that we are strong in every sense - financially, morally, militarily - waging war against terrorist organizations and a few rogue states that back them for religious and political reasons. Our enemies are evil, yet incompetent and morally weak.

A civilization morally weak and unsure of its superiority would never have produced the United States Marines, the Russian VDV, or the British SAS. Even Israel's Tzanhanim, Givati, Golani are still the incredible superiors of our enemies in Lebanon, Syria, and Gaza. This isn't a coincidence.

Well, not exactly.  It's not that I think we in the West are condemned to weakness or that Islam is inherently stronger.  Far from it.  I do believe the West is serious assault (as much from within as from without) and I do believe that we have weak leadership both in America and in Europe.  I also believe that we can turn that around whenever the right people take power.  Unfortunately, that is going to take a momentous upheaval in the West to accomplish; it is going to take the right people with the right ideas.   

But maybe you folks in Israel will end up taking the lead on that?

That the West has many assets at its disposal--military, technological, economic, political, and moral--is indisputable, but the West is under an evil spell, and until it awakens the goblins are going to run rampant.

Surely you are not implying that Nazism was a Christian movement?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2011, 07:45:26 PM »

"Gott mit uns" ("God is with us") was adopted by the German Army in 1871, IIRC and the phrase was retained by Germany during the Third Reich, although Hitler only tolerated the church because it was so entrenched in society it would have been too hard to eliminate; instead he merely forced it to adopt certain Nazi regalia.  Hitler's attitude toard Christianity might best be expressed through one of his quotes; "you can't be a good German and a good Christian at the same time."
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
That people still invoke Christianity in the modern day to wage wars. This does not mean that Christianity is the motive behind those wars, nor does it mean Christianity is bad. People like believing that God is on their side.

What do those prove? Like your first two pictures, they prove very little. In terms of religion, there is no comparison between Al-Qaeda, and the Nazis or the Federal Reserve. It's like saying that the president is a preacher, just because he ends a speech with "God bless America."

The third picture? I don't know. What is going on there?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »
But maybe you folks in Israel will end up taking the lead on that?

Sadly I feel Israel is not the country people in America think it is.

That the West has many assets at its disposal--military, technological, economic, political, and moral--is indisputable, but the West is under an evil spell, and until it awakens the goblins are going to run rampant.

What form of 'rampancy' do you predict?

Surely not. But many people among the German army believed themselves to be Christians (I don't use the words 'were Christians' because I do not wish to be misunderstood as attacking Christianity), prayed to the Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ, etc.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2011, 09:44:53 PM »
What do those prove? Like your first two pictures, they prove very little. In terms of religion, there is no comparison between Al-Qaeda, and the Nazis or the Federal Reserve. It's like saying that the president is a preacher, just because he ends a speech with "God bless America."

The very point I was seeking to make is precisely that.

I am not equating this use of religious symbolism with the use of Islam by Al-Quaeda, which is a fanatical terrorist group whose ideology is linked to killing people in the name of Islam.

I am equating this use of religious symbolism to the use of Islamic symbolism by the generic Muslim countries, where Islam is often invoked in military contexts. My entire point is that these countries are NOT like Al-Quaeda.

The third picture? I don't know. What is going on there?

A Russian Orthodox priest blessing officer-cadets.

Similar photos can  be had of priests blessing bombers, SSBNs, etc.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »
Back on topic.

The leading candidates are now Mitt Romney at 17% and Sarah Palin at 15%, followed (by what I must assume is a statistical blip) by Ron Paul with 10%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147806/Romney-Palin-Lead-Reduced-GOP-Field-2012.aspx

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2011, 02:40:27 PM »
Back on topic.

The leading candidates are now Mitt Romney at 17% and Sarah Palin at 15%, followed (by what I must assume is a statistical blip) by Ron Paul with 10%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147806/Romney-Palin-Lead-Reduced-GOP-Field-2012.aspx
:facepalm:

Oh ... no........no.....no.....no.......   

Anyone know how much a small but nice house in Costa Rica goes for these days? :'( :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »
If we decentralize the way we need to, the Presidency will eventually become what it should have been all along.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »
I hear in the early 19th century, it was possible to walk up to the White House and knock on the door.

If you did it early enough in the morning, the POTUS himself might answer the door in a dressing robe.

Our elected representatives should never be un-approachable.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
Do explain how being a law professor is somehow not a 'real job'.

In the USA, the majority of profs are gov't employees.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
In the USA, the majority of profs are gov't employees.

Clearly being a soldier, a police officer, an astronaut is also not a real job.

Of course, President Obama taught at a private university.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2011, 07:37:05 PM »
Clearly being a soldier, a police officer, an astronaut is also not a real job.

Of course, President Obama taught at a private university.
Oh, then clearly being a professor is not a real job. [tinfoil]

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2011, 12:03:36 AM »
:facepalm:

Oh ... no........no.....no.....no.......   

Anyone know how much a small but nice house in Costa Rica goes for these days? :'( :mad:

I say again:

You guys know we're boned, right? We are going to be stuck (yet again) with a RINO...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

SteveT

« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2011, 01:03:51 AM »
The RINOs poll better against Obama than the true right conservatives.   They get slaughtered.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2011, 01:42:12 AM »
Trying to win over people who don't even belong in the same country is the conservatives' real problem.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

SteveT

« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2011, 04:07:56 AM »
Trying to win over people who don't even belong in the same country is the conservatives' real problem.

I'm not exactly sure what this means, but in the end you need enough voters to reach 270 electoral votes, or you lose.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
The RINOs poll better against Obama than the true right conservatives.   They get slaughtered.

Gerald Ford polled much better against Jimmy Carter in 1979 and early 1980 than Reagan did. All the way up till the election. (Reagan was down by 25% against Carter in March of 1980.)

Of course, Reagan got slaughtered, right?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what this means, but in the end you need enough voters to reach 270 electoral votes, or you lose.

What it means is that this nation is terminally riven.  In my view.  We need to focus on the people who still get it or could get it.  That's political realism; it's also survival realism.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »
So what's the scuttlebutt on Rick Perry? I like that he CCWs (I believe we had a thread on the coyote incident) and he seems to be good for the TX economy, but otherwise I don't know much about him.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/27/perrys-path-gop-nomination-clearest/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."